THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This simple drum cooker is looking rather extensive.

A conclusion already reached by me Tony:redface: The trouble with me is I'm crap at abiding by the guiding principle for engineers, known as the KISS or 'Keep It Simple, Stupid!' principle. The idea is, when you start to over-complicate any job, repeat the principle to yourself and rethink what you're going to do. Unfortunately, I haven't always been abiding by that:biggrin:
My excuses are that
  1. I haven't a hope in hell of scoring a free Weber kettle to nick the lid off.
  2. I couldn't get a drum with a removable lid.
  3. I could have made a far simpler air vent in the lid but I was 'challenging' myself (read: showing off :icon_blush:)
  4. I saw Norcoredneck's drum with the built-in ash catcher and thought 'I'll have some o' that', only i had to make it from scratch.
  5. I couldn't get any free/very cheap 1" black iron pipe or gate valves, so I used some pipe laying around at work for the air inlets, which needed cutting/welding etc.
  6. I'm building a trolley for it as I have the materials to hand free and I'm a lazy swine who wants to be able to move this thing around easily.
I'll hopefully get the trolley parts cut tonight ( I do like night shifts:grin:) and weld that up this week. I'm on the home stretch now and can smell the brisket:wink:

Bit more progress. Trolley is now fully tack-welded up, awaiting full welding later this week when I'm off shift. Did the burn-out tonight, pile of timber sticking out of the top, just as brethren experience and the unofficial UDS manual prescribes:-D I'll get the paint on just as soon as and Scotch-Brite the inside to get rid of all of the ash/smoke. Then it should just be a case of welding on fixing tabs, painting the trolley and bolting the drum to the trolley, then it'll be a seasoning burn in my back garden (which will probably seriouslyannoy the neighbours but hey, what's new:rolleyes:).
Some pics:

Trial fitting the trolley on the upturned drum.
PICT0001-2.jpg

Close-up of one of the air inlets with it's cover on.

PICT0002-6.jpg

The grate and charcoal ring in place inside the drum.

PICT0004-3.jpg

DAMN cool chit! my kinda guy!! Keep on weldin on!!! damn i need to learn how to weld!

Cheers

Looking good B .Are you having trouble finding charcoal or wood ?

No I'm quite lucky in that respect. We've a small perimiter of trees at work, some of which are dying off so I can get fuel timber from ther, plus we've got several quite mature cherry and oak trees to get smoking timber from. I bought a job lot of charcoal briquettes from Homebase last year as they were selling them cheap in autumn, although I won't bother again as they stick to high heaven, both when lighting and lit:icon_smil

I don't need a tow hitch, I deliberately used lightweight steel tube so it would be easy to move. Plus which, if I'd built it the same as most UDS's, i.e with simple grab handles on the side, I'dve sprung my back in no time due to the weight of that damn fire grate:redface:

It's finished!!!!!!! (almost)

It's 99.999999% done!!!!!!

PICT0006-3.jpg

I've still to re-profile the flange the ash pan sits against at the bottom as I used too thin a sheet of metal and it warped a lot when I welded it on. Once bent up to form a cone and with a bead of heat-resistant silicone
sealer on it it should be OK. I will apply the silicone to one flange and let it set, so it acts as a sort of stuck-on seal so I can remove/replace the ash pan (that's the theory anyway:-D)
Here's the interior of the drum, cleaned and oiled and waiting to be seasoned.

PICT0003-2.jpg

The two grills in place.

PICT0004-4.jpg

And the essential brethren mod!

PICT0007-1.jpg

I've polished the lid since these piccies, not perfect but it wouldn't be any good if it was:cool:

All I need to do is the sealing of the ash pan as mentioned above, weld two lid hooks on inside the lid so I can hang it off the side of the drum when loading/unloading as per Weber lids and season it. The final addition, when I get time/the ability to use the garage with power tools and not disturb anyone, will be to make the fold-down side table to sit the temp probes, utensils & meat plates on. Next stop, seasoning burn:biggrin:

Back