Building my own

Shoot Yeah!!!!! We all want to see that Drum Smoking!!!!
What are you going to Smoke on it first?

I want to see the flamin' thing smokin' as well, the amount of time I've spent on it:-D

What will I do first? I dunno. probably some of the cheap chicken legs & wings I picked up at Sainsburys on Saturday. I've got a (small, rolled-up-and-tied-with-twine UK-sized) brisket sat in the freezer which I've been saving, after which, I'll have to go shopping. I've got some buckboard bacon cure and jerky seasoning waiting in the pantry so I won't get bored:cool:

When are you delivering it to me? Looks great man now lets get smokin!

I ordered a digital thermo and a temp gauge from eBay, did you find yours locally?

Looks great, and to think you made that using the Metric system :eek::biggrin:.
Nothing like fatty grease to break in a new drum.

When are you delivering it to me? Looks great man now lets get smokin!

I ordered a digital thermo and a temp gauge from eBay, did you find yours locally?

Sorry KY, only just seen this post. I ordered my Nu-Temps remote probe jobbies from the US following a recomendation from CarbonToe and their service was excellent.:-D

Delivering it to you? You must be jokin' pal!:p

He!! I had to try lol I ordered mine off e-bay from and was sent from Ohio. I use my son as the remote temp monitor when I'm at the pub.

Awesome thread!!!
Two comments- I'm surprised you didn't use a roll of 13mm steel instead of the barrel and the tow hitch idea is ridiculous- that would definitely be a fifth wheel unit!!!
Thanks for sharing but its time for the money shots.

I thought I'd seen your design before.......

pic07tinman.jpg

Arf!!:biggrin:

As long as my UDS doesn't end up screaming "I'm melllltinggg!" first time I fire it up:eek::biggrin:

Alright man I have started a full sized UDS so please don't let me finish and start cooking before you or you will never live it down. :twisted:

At looooooong last!

Finally got a day where the wind was blowing away from the stick-in-their-collective-hole neighbours house so I dumped about 3/4 of a bag of briqs in the basket and lit about 3/4 of a chimney of briqs, which went in 15 mins later.
Only then did I discover that the Nu-Temps remote sensor I was using was duff, so I had to swap, by which time the drum was at 310f and rising.
Shut the air inlets half way, no change. Shut them nearly all the way, temps feel a little. Closed them completely, temps fell to around 270f and stayed there. Started looking and discovered the fantastical Buck-Rogers lookign lid is far from a concentric cone, so was not sealing properly!:mad:
I've closed the exhaust and will wait to see if it actually goes out or just sits there. Due to the paucity of free Webers to canibalise to do the rim and lid mod I'm gonna take the lid to work and try and see if I can get it more concentric by fitting it to a full drum. If this doesn't work I may have to look at getting a second-hand Weber off Ebay and butchering it:frown:
Either way,not very satisfactory, apart from the drum now having a nice, seasoned coating of cooked-on veg oil inside it:|

Maidensmoke2.jpg

DR_KY, does this count as me having stayed ahead of you or not?:biggrin:

Outstanding!!!

TopNotch!!!!! That is Sharp!!!! Perhaps you could use some stove gasket to help seal the Lid?

Back