THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Nope, not Borax. Not Borat. Not Bokeh.

B-O-R-E-K

Borek. Pronounced Buh-rek (I think)

Honestly, I'd never heard of it before this weekend when Chef John posted a foodwishes.com video for Lamb Borek. It looked interesting and certainly worth a try. It's Turkish, or at least Middle Eastern in origin. The meat filling contains many of the same spices as the Moussaka I prepared last weeked. Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, allspice, etc. Chef John prepared his with lamb which the Mrs will not eat, so I made mine with a mix of ground beef and ground pork.

Of course, I was planning on making this all out on one of the Kamados, but today's weather (thunderstorms and pouring rain) forced me to make part of this in the oven. The meat filling was prepared yesterday, the Bubba Keg got the call since I haven't used it in a while. The filling should be room temp or cool when placing in the Phyllo so prepping this yesterday was a good idea. It also gave the mixture a chance for the flavors to intensify a bit overnight in the fridge.

All the ingredients outside, getting ready for the Keg. Onion, the spices, toasted pine nuts, garlic, EVOO, raisins, tomato paste and diced tomatoes (canned diced tomatoes were used in his recipe, I did my own thing as usual) -

Onions sauteing in the Lodge skillet-

After partially browning the pork and beef, toss in the spices and the garlic -

Followed by the tomatoes and paste, allowing it to simmer for some time until the mixture becomes a bit dry, but retains some moisture -

Fast forward to this afternoon, and an adventure in Phyllo. Two sheets spread out. then spread with an egg/Greek yogurt/water/melted butter wash which was a bit of a pain to brush on. Then two more sheets, each with its own layer of wash. Supposedly, the yogurt and melted butter help with pliability when rolling. I'll go with that, it wasn't as bad as I had imagined -

I put a line of filling about two inches from the end and successfully rolled it -

And this time remembered to add a line of Feta cheese -

Three rolls into the pan. Not as easy as Chef John made it look, but I managed. Top brushed with the egg wash -

Unfortunately, I didn't have any Sesame seeds to top it with, but it turned out fine. After 35-40 minutes in a 400 degree oven -

Plated with some Yogurt based Tzatziki sauce and some greens -

And that's it. Lunchman's take on Borek. It was quite good. The aromatic Middle Eastern spices in the meat mixture, wrapped in a crunchy Phyllo dough - excellent. Kinda fun to make, give this a try.

There are all different variations on this recipe. I had thoughts of making another with just Spinach and Feta, but ran out of time.

Thanks for checking out this post and tonites's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks awesome, I can almost smell that.
I get that at a local market straight out of the Oven.
Benefit of having a Very Multi Cultured migrant area.

I don’t care how ya say it!

Just call me the next time you make it!

That looks amazing!!!

Thanks, all.

I'm going to have to continue with my quest for international dishes, these are interesting to research and even more fun to attempt. I'll have to dust off my Raichlen's Planet Barbecue cookbook for more ideas. This one's not in there since I guess it isn't exactly bbq.

There are different adaptations of Borek. This spiral version and another flat version, much like a Greek Spanakopita would be made. Layers of Phyllo (or Yufka in Turkey) and fillings.

Most recipes I've looked at make a spinach and cheese (usually feta) version in layers, though it differs from the Greek counterpart. The Turkish version layers the Phyllo and spinach/cheese filling with the egg/yogurt wash so there are interleaved layers - spinach and cheese/Phyllo/spinach and cheese/Phyllo, etc.

Spanakopita starts with a few layers of Phyllo, then the spinach/feta mixture which is then topped with a few layers of Phyllo to encase it. No matter how it's made, it's still good.

I could see adapting this more to bbq with pulled pork, pulled chicken, etc. just to kick things up a bit.

I've still got leftover Phyllo sheets.....

Regards,
-Dom

That looks awesome, I can almost smell that.
I get that at a local market straight out of the Oven.
Benefit of having a Very Multi Cultured migrant area.

I'm gonna have to make a trip to Australia! (Or just make this in my backyard).

I'm gonna have to make a trip to Australia! (Or just make this in my backyard).

Come on down,be happy to put some prawns on the Barbie

BTW
I married into a Greek family many years ago that had ties to turkey
The food was very interesting indeed
Pastry and breads to die for.
Keep playing

You did a pretty good job on that.

Key point though is to use lamb. Much better. There's also the thing it is a Muslim dish mainly and they don't eat Pork... being besides the point but Lamb goes so much better with those spices.

I get some at the Prahran Market from time to time. It's delicious.

Cheers!

Bonus footage

That looks outstanding! I might have to run with your idea of doing a spinach and feta version.

Go for it! This was a lot of fun to make.

And for more experimentation....

What to do with unused Phyllo, Feta cheese, a head of cauliflower and asparagus? Yep, they're all going together somehow. Sorry, no grills involved here, my apologies.

Roasted the cauliflower and asparagus with EVOO, S&P.

Laid out 4-5 Phyllo sheets with the butter/egg wash on the bottom of a baking dish. Added in the roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower, minced garlic and the Feta cheese -

Yes, there's asparagus hiding under that :razz: -

Covered with the remaining Phyllo and egg wash -

And into a 400 deg oven for 35 minutes -

Sort of a late morning brunch, odd I know. But I had to taste it and get some plated shots -

Kind of a fun way to prepare grilled veggies! The crispiness of the Phyllo, the feta and the garlic add just the right touch.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards,
-Dom

Back