Bird on 18" WSM...

on the hook

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
With this C19 stuff found out JUST NOW that it will be minimal family (4)at my house BUT I was not scheduled to cook, so...Gotta get a bird, then try it on my WSM18", which I haven't done 'yet'...Looking for suggestions as to seasoning(butter/spices ??) on or under the skin...I'm also guessing I can't brine because I won't get it until tonight and it will 'probably' be frozen...Also, only did a couple and will probably just put it on for suggested time/temps(Smoke monitor) till done, BUT open to ideas as to WSM 18..

I inject with chicken broth and a stick of butter melted in it. Spatchcock makes cooking time less. Open bottom vents about size of a #2 pencil, top vent wide open. Snake style charcoal. It will run about 250 degrees. Skin will not be crisp but meat will be juicy and flavorful.

I'll be doing one on my 22". I smoke at similar temp as in oven, 350 ish. Skin gets a bit dark, but I've never had any leftovers.

I'll be doing one on my 22". I smoke at similar temp as in oven, 350 ish. Skin gets a bit dark, but I've never had any leftovers.

Water pan with water, without water or no water pan? I've done it without a water pan and the skin does get very dark, hoping to avoid that this year and do a water pan without water and a pan underneath the bird to catch the drippings so they don't burn.

Water pan with water, without water or no water pan? I've done it without a water pan and the skin does get very dark, hoping to avoid that this year and do a water pan without water and a pan underneath the bird to catch the drippings so they don't burn.

Typically a disposable drip ban with a bit of water in it.

Back