THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll go back to my statement that I have never eaten a curry that I wanted to eat a second time. It is entirely possible that you just can't get a good curry where I live. I've had people tell me, "You've got to have the curry at -----," only to be disappointed.

I did eat a Moroccan curry in Morocco once, that was very good. The heat didn't smack me in the mouth, but snuck up on me. The same curry in Texas would probably set my mouth on fire. An Indian curry in India may be a totally different dish, altogether.

CD
So could this be that the 'one dimensional taste' you are referring to is heat from chili?
That once it hits you then that is all you can taste?

So could this be that the 'one dimensional taste' you are referring to is heat from chili?
That once it hits you then that is all you can taste?

To some degree. If the heat is a full frontal assault on my taste buds, then any other flavors are lost on me. I like balance in all things food. My favorite homemade BBQ sauce is a sweet/hot sauce with ample amounts of peppers and honey, balanced just right.

Real cajun food is perfect food, IMO. A real cajun cook knows how to balance heat and deep, rich flavors better than anyone I can think of. When you chow down on an authentic cajun gumbo, and ten bites in you realize your neck is soaked in sweat, you know they nailed it. You know you are going to go back for a second bowl, and more napkins to wipe the sweat. Perfect balance.

CD

To some degree. If the heat is a full frontal assault on my taste buds, then any other flavors are lost on me. I like balance in all things food. My favorite homemade BBQ sauce is a sweet/hot sauce with ample amounts of peppers and honey, balanced just right.

Real cajun food is perfect food, IMO. A real cajun cook knows how to balance heat and deep, rich flavors better than anyone I can think of. When you chow down on an authentic cajun gumbo, and ten bites in you realize your neck is soaked in sweat, you know they nailed it. You know you are going to go back for a second bowl, and more napkins to wipe the sweat. Perfect balance.

CD
'Balance' is subjective.
What suits someone as the balanced amount of chili flavour will just be a background note for another. If I am getting heat ten bites later I won't be sweating, I'll be missing that dimension of the flavor profile.
What is debilitating is if you eat everything at extreme heat levels (Like many Thai's do) or if you don't develop and therefore cannot tolerate or enjoy the chili at any moderate level.
We may be onto the issue here CD!
Thai's hate travel because they say the food is just wet.
No taste at all for them.
Same difference.
A good curry will have an astonishing array of detectable flavours, but if chili is overwhelming you then you just won't perceive that.
You need to holiday at my place for 3 weeks and we will fix you!:biggrin1:

CD

'Balance' is subjective.
What suits someone as the balanced amount of chili flavour will just be a background note for another. If I am getting heat ten bites later I won't be sweating, I'll be missing that dimension of the flavor profile.
What is debilitating is if you eat everything at extreme heat levels (Like many Thai's do) or if you don't develop and therefore cannot tolerate or enjoy the chili at any moderate level.
We may be onto the issue here CD!
Thai's hate travel because they say the food is just wet.
No taste at all for them.
Same difference.
A good curry will have an astonishing array of detectable flavours, but if chili is overwhelming you then you just won't perceive that.
You need to holiday at my place for 3 weeks and we will fix you!:biggrin1:

Maybe you need to spend three weeks in the Atchafalaya Basin, with some gen-you-wine coonass (AKA: cajun) cooks -- and that is how they would say genuine. Toast can back me up on this, those people do heat perfectly. I don't know how to put it into words.

BTW, I feel sorry for Thai's, if their taste buds are that narrowly focussed. I would hate to only like one way of cooking food.

CD

Maybe you need to spend three weeks in the Atchafalaya Basin, with some gen-you-wine coonass (AKA: cajun) cooks -- and that is how they would say genuine. Toast can back me up on this, those people do heat perfectly. I don't know how to put it into words.
They travel, I've eaten wonderful food prepared by folks from that region of USA.
BTW, I feel sorry for Thai's, if their taste buds are that narrowly focussed. I would hate to only like one way of cooking food.
Agreed CD.

CD
See above

CD

Folks associate Cajun food with hot that have not had the real deal. I can tell CD has had the real dea. There are many spices and vegetables that go into it. Like a good gumbo, it's some of the best when it all comes together.

Is gumbo like a chunky curry?

Folks associate Cajun food with hot that have not had the real deal. I can tell CD has had the real dea. There are many spices and vegetables that go into it. Like a good gumbo, it's some of the best when it all comes together.

Is gumbo like a chunky curry?
Hmmm.
If it is yes or no...then no, but there are similarities with some curries.
The roux is similar but different and the Cajun trinity is different.
Looking at a picture maybe you could compare visually but it ends there.
I really like gumbo but it is a league under a good curry IMO.
I like the French influence + spice fusion aspect of Cajun dishes Ive eaten, but curry it is not.

Very interesting discussion. I'm sorry to say I've never had what CD and Toast have identified as good or even real Cajun. I'm sorrier to say Southern US food is one of the regions I've had little exposure to though I know there's a few restaurants in Toronto. I think I better investigate those Southern food restaurants the next few times I go "back home". I've eaten some really good curries. My favourite is Jamaican curry because that's what I grew up on but my nose-to-neck second is Thai curry. And Indian. Sometimes a photo finish is required. My experience with curry is that is doesn't have to be hot or mild, it can be whatever you want it to be in the Scoville units, just have to find the right cook/restaurant for your taste. Toronto's a very multi-cultural place so there's lots to choose from and some country bumpkin areas like where I live now show good promise.

Very interesting discussion. I'm sorry to say I've never had what CD and Toast have identified as good or even real Cajun. I'm sorrier to say Southern US food is one of the regions I've had little exposure to though I know there's a few restaurants in Toronto. I think I better investigate those Southern food restaurants the next few times I go "back home". I've eaten some really good curries. My favourite is Jamaican curry because that's what I grew up on but my nose-to-neck second is Thai curry. And Indian. Sometimes a photo finish is required. My experience with curry is that is doesn't have to be hot or mild, it can be whatever you want it to be in the Scoville units, just have to find the right cook/restaurant for your taste. Toronto's a very multi-cultural place so there's lots to choose from and some country bumpkin areas like where I live now show good promise.

We have spare rooms and Y'all have a standing invitation to come on down Anytime Kathy. I can promise a good time. :thumb:

Where I live there is a guy named Steve who is from Louisiana.
He is the owner of the Rajin Cajin.
He had a restaurant in Hermosa Beach for about 20 years and then lost his lease.
He runs his business out of a food truck now.
I went there to eat all the time.
He was the guy in the first reality series (Food Truck Wars).
He is the only reason I know what real Cajan food taste like.
His Mom would come into town and do cooking classes.
Im still kicking myself in the ass for not going to them.
Whenever Im having Cajan cravings I have to hunt down that truck.
Its the only place I know of that does it right in So Cal.

This guy is a great cook.

Unless I missed it, we are 8 pages deep into this one with no entries yet. Guess I'll need to get LuzziAnn on it. Still early yet.

I'll go back to my statement that I have never eaten a curry that I wanted to eat a second time. It is entirely possible that you just can't get a good curry where I live. I've had people tell me, "You've got to have the curry at -----," only to be disappointed.

I did eat a Moroccan curry in Morocco once, that was very good. The heat didn't smack me in the mouth, but snuck up on me. The same curry in Texas would probably set my mouth on fire. An Indian curry in India may be a totally different dish, altogether.

CD

Seems like you may have identified the problem. Not all curries, Indian or otherwise are hot or even meant to be hot. My experience with curries is primarily with Indian styles, and there are many kinds - hotter styles, like Vindaloos, as well as more sweet creamy based Kormas, which are not usually hot at all. If any dish you're eating (and of course this applies to any cuisine) is SO hot that the heat overpowers the other flavors in the dish, then it's too hot for you. I'm surprised that they didn't ask you what heat level you wanted in the dish - this is pretty common practice, at least around here.

I'm hoping you'll give it a try again, and make sure they spice the heat mildly for you so the savory spices stand out...I think you may have a change of heart.

And speaking of hot, I went to a well reviewed authentic Thai place in Hollywood a while back as I had heard so many good things about it. I was particularly drawn to the fact that they didn't dumb down the spice or heat levels for the American palate. I should preface here I can handle heat as in spicy peppers with a tolerance higher than anyone I know personally.

At the bottom of the menu, I noticed the "Spicy Challenge", with several Thai curries listed. When it was time to order, I decided to try one, and our waitress would not allow me to order the dish since it was my first visit. She said on a scale from 1-10 it was a 10, and when I told of her of my high heat tolerance, said the next spiciest dish on the menu was another particular curry, and on a scale of 1-10, it was a 6 - if I could handle that, she said, I might be up for the spicy challenge on my next visit, although very few could even handle that heat level. I heeded our waitress's advice, and went for the next hotter curry.

I have to say it was the hottest thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. I immediately went into an uncontrollable spasm of hiccups, and started sweating profusely from my scalp. Worse yet, I turned a deep shade of red so dark it was almost purple, my friends told me later. I couldn't taste a single thing but scorching heat. It lasted for well over an hour.

We all have our limits...

Moose, I'd love to know the names of the hot Thai dishes?

Jungle Curry is pretty hot.
I saw an young English soccer thug ambulanced to hospital after insisting on eating...in Thailand.

Back