THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turned out he was completely unprepared for a dish with 30 mouse dropping chilies.
Hottest Farkin chili in the region and one is my limit.
He dropped like a wet towel.

We have spare rooms and Y'all have a standing invitation to come on down Anytime Kathy. I can promise a good time. :thumb:

Threadjack warning. Toast, I go to a huge teardrop camper gathering Halloween weekend every year at Lake Bistineau, right there in your backyard. We take over every campsite they have.

Friday night supper is a huge pot of gumbo, and Saturday night is a huge pot-luck.

You should come out for a visit. If you have a tent, you can pitch it on my site.

Okay, back to the originally scheduled thread. :becky:

CD

entry

OK, since few people seem to be entering anything in this one, I'll go ahead and put in my official entry and gain my membership to the zero club. Nothing fancy or disturbing, just a 6 lb. spatchcocked chicken rubbed down in lemon juice and my cajun seasoning rub, indirect grilled/smoked at 325 on the Akorn and basted with herb butter until it was tender, juicy, and coming apart at the joints. Add some bacon-tater kababs, mango salsa, and enough other sides to induce food coma. It was pretty durn tasty. No Spam, fish with extruded swim bladders, or other weird stuff were harmed in the making of this meal. :biggrin1: First one (exposing my shameless lack of a brightly colored Thermapen,) is the money shot, I guess.

Attachments

• Akornchick.jpg
    Akornchick.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Akornchick2.jpg
    Akornchick2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Akornchick3.jpg
    Akornchick3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 126
Threadjack warning. Toast, I go to a huge teardrop camper gathering Halloween weekend every year at Lake Bistineau, right there in your backyard. We take over every campsite they have.

Friday night supper is a huge pot of gumbo, and Saturday night is a huge pot-luck.

You should come out for a visit. If you have a tent, you can pitch it on my site.

Okay, back to the originally scheduled thread. :becky:

CD

I'm all In Brother! I'll send you a PM. I am fully camping equipped. Would be Great to meet you.

OK, since few people seem to be entering anything in this one, I'll go ahead and put in my official entry and gain my membership to the zero club. Nothing fancy or disturbing, just a 6 lb. spatchcocked chicken rubbed down in lemon juice and my cajun seasoning rub, indirect grilled/smoked at 325 on the Akorn and basted with herb butter until it was tender, juicy, and coming apart at the joints. Add some bacon-tater kababs, mango salsa, and enough other sides to induce food coma. It was pretty durn tasty. No Spam, fish with extruded swim bladders, or other weird stuff were harmed in the making of this meal. :biggrin1: First one (exposing my shameless lack of a brightly colored Thermapen,) is the money shot, I guess.

Super entry Sir and Welcome!

I spent some time googling to find a way to smoke emu without drying it out. Was a tough search but I was determined. Then we went to the farmers market and found a really nice lady selling duck and I caved -- all that fat would render some nice potato frying grease and the meat would be juicy and smoke beautifully. I just realized today I won't be able to enter, we're going away for a few days on Wednesday and I can't get the cook done before we leave. Fark. I guess the quacker will stay in the freezer for another TD.

I spent some time googling to find a way to smoke emu without drying it out. Was a tough search but I was determined. Then we went to the farmers market and found a really nice lady selling duck and I caved -- all that fat would render some nice potato frying grease and the meat would be juicy and smoke beautifully. I just realized today I won't be able to enter, we're going away for a few days on Wednesday and I can't get the cook done before we leave. Fark. I guess the quacker will stay in the freezer for another TD.

<sniff> :tsk:

Alrighty-right!!

I have some throwingdowns for you!

We went camping this weekend on the Hungry Horse reservoir and upland game bird season opened on the 1st so that presented the opportunity to bust out the shotty and go lookin' for some grouse - and grouse we did find!!

Best time of day for grouse is around dusk, they spend the day eating and then come down to gravel roads in the evening to peck up gravel for their craw - we found ours at about 7:30pm at about 4,600ft

Got em' back to camp and started parting them out to toss on the grill.
Easiest way to part them out is to lay them on the ground, step on each wing and pull their legs until the thighs pops out of the joint - keep pulling and both thighs & drums will pull off leaving the skin & feathers behind.
Then make a small cut in the skin below the keel bone and pull the skin back to the top of the breast and use a knife to cut the breast meat away from the bone - there's no meat on the wings or back so the rest of carcass gets tossed.

The one on the left lost his head to a round of #7 bird shot at about 20 yards - thought he could hide in a tree from me! :heh:

20120901_201846.jpg

A dusting of Yardbird and on the kettle they go.

20120901_205715.jpg

There's alot of ligament in the drums and thigh that gets really tough if you cook them too fast, there's no fat at all on grouse either so you've got to be really careful to not over cook them.

20120901_210720.jpg

Some grouse lollipops plated up with some slaw, mac salad & tater salad - little bit of Rye Whiskey made me complete! :thumb:

20120901_212059.jpg

Thanks for lookin'! :biggrin1:

Fine lookin' grub! I love grouse, used to be a lot around here, but the last few years have been slim.

Back