Any other rebels?

Rebel? Meh. Sure.

Not a fan of traditional turkey. This won't be a traditional Thanksgiving. I have something special planned. Let's just say it involves: a small turkey breast, sausage, a bacon weave, and green chiles. Some other ingredients may or may not be harmed/and or involved in this particular dish. Too soon to tell.

Black Friday? Pato (or Canard depending on your lingo)...on the rotisserie or possibly quartered and flash fried. Inspiration is funny like that. I have some jars of Epic Duck and Berkshire Pork fat. No lean meats this week. Not even me.

Super traditional. Reminds me of my mother-in-law. Turkey and ham every thanksgiving. Except she always bought plopped her pre-cooked ham in the oven at 350 for what seemed like 4 hours. Sucker was as dry and tough and shoe leather... lol. I know no Brethren would ever do something so cruel to those they are cooking for :)

We all have Thermapens. In-laws do too. No excuses now. :biggrin1:

We had already excused ourselves from the family Covidgiving this year, so I went and bought everything yesterday to cook our meal. Already had a turkey to smoke later-we enjoy it, but it takes up so much freezer space that I rarely pick them up.

Of course this morning I find out that another group backed out of the dinner, so now the host is delivering her usual meal to each house that morning. While I appreciate the thought, I'd have liked to know several grocery store visits earlier.

I'm still cooking my food (all fairly common and traditional, just with more flavor than they usually make) that day, and what they bring will be combined with the leftovers.

Super traditional. Reminds me of my mother-in-law. Turkey and ham every thanksgiving. Except she always bought plopped her pre-cooked ham in the oven at 350 for what seemed like 4 hours. Sucker was as dry and tough and shoe leather... lol. I know no Brethren would ever do something so cruel to those they are cooking for :)

Whatcha doin’ for sides?

I assume it will be mostly traditional, there are some pretty good cooks in the family so I’m not too worried. Unless something unusual happens everything will be made from scratch, but this is 2020 so we’ll see...:shock:

Probably Lamb and Beer here, :laugh:

I have tried Turkey by others a few times and found it dry and tasteless
:thumb: Gonna put a good sear on some lamb shanks and throw them in the slow cooker. Will be doing chunky mashed potatoes because smooth/creamy suck.

Chunky mashed rutabaga, too. Rutabaga is a family tradition at Thanksgiving. It's killer with turkey gravy and will be equally good with the lamb.

:thumb: Gonna put a good sear on some lamb shanks and throw them in the slow cooker. Will be doing chunky mashed potatoes because smooth/creamy suck.

Chunky mashed rutabaga, too. Rutabaga is a family tradition at Thanksgiving. It's killer with turkey gravy and will be equally good with the lamb.

Just one day, try no liquid smoked shanks
cook all the way in a weber or something

I refer to my smoker as a 'Kansas City Slow Cooker'

Every time she buys a crockpot, I break it open and cut something so it won't work. Don't like them, won't use them.

I refer to my smoker as a 'Kansas City Slow Cooker'

Every time she buys a crockpot, I break it open and cut something so it won't work. Don't like them, won't use them.
They're actually a beautiful thing, used correctly. Can set them up in the morning and dinner is ready when you get home from work.

Only going to be 5 of us this year down from about 20. Still doing a 12 pound Butterball (should have bought the 10 pounder)that has about two sticks of compound butter stuffed under the skin and the carcass gets two stick of butter and then filled with quartered onions and celery. Will be roasted in the oven bag in the oven because my wife likes to use the juices from the bag in the dressing that we make. Also have a 10 pound boneless breast that is highly pumped with phosphates and is the star of the show off the smoker. And rounding out the trio is a 5 pound Members Mark Apple wood smoked Easy Carve Ham that will be smoked along side the turkey breast. Then just the traditional sides, but reduced quantities of each. Still way too much meat, but freeze the left overs.

So no rebels this year. In a year where much has been turned inside out, tumped over, stomped on, pushed around, chewed up, spit out and left for dead, this meal is the only thing that comes close to normal.

And with that being said, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and can make the most of it.

Thanks,

Robert

Seems the traditionalists are making a comeback. C’mon guys, this can’t happen... we must prove this normal and better :)

Only going to be 5 of us this year down from about 20. Still doing a 12 pound Butterball (should have bought the 10 pounder)that has about two sticks of compound butter stuffed under the skin and the carcass gets two stick of butter and then filled with quartered onions and celery. Will be roasted in the oven bag in the oven because my wife likes to use the juices from the bag in the dressing that we make. Also have a 10 pound boneless breast that is highly pumped with phosphates and is the star of the show off the smoker. And rounding out the trio is a 5 pound Members Mark Apple wood smoked Easy Carve Ham that will be smoked along side the turkey breast. Then just the traditional sides, but reduced quantities of each. Still way too much meat, but freeze the left overs.

So no rebels this year. In a year where much has been turned inside out, tumped over, stomped on, pushed around, chewed up, spit out and left for dead, this meal is the only thing that comes close to normal.

And with that being said, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and can make the most of it.

Thanks,

Robert

You sure the 5 of you will have enough food?

Sounds awesome!! Sounds like a major meat coma in the making :)

You sure the 5 of you will have enough food?

Sounds awesome!! Sounds like a major meat coma in the making :)

Way too much food, yes way too much! Could have X'ed out the 12 pound turkey, but the juices from the roasting bag is the magic that makes the dressing shine. MIL will take some home. DIL is an ICU nurse and has to work that day (hopefully not in the Covid unit), so will send some food home with our son for her. Left over meat will be vac sealed and frozen for a later date.

First time ever doing not traditional. Going 100% seafood.

Lobster tails
10 count scallops (I've never had them this big)
Shrimp
Little neck clams
Seared Ahi for an appetizer
Side are someone else's deal.

Last edited:
Back