Planning ahead: whatcha making for Thanksgiving?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Good day all! I'm curious what folks are planning on making for Thanksgiving.

Are people planning more of a traditional meal? Anyone planning to do something different than their usual?

I'm thinking that we might be doing a mix of traditional things (e.g., doing turkey, one smoked and one baked; mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, green bean casserole, some sort of dressing and chocolate-bourbon pecan pie) and tossing in something a bit different. Not sure what the different will be (maybe prime rib for the meat eaters?), but there will also be gluten free-vegetarian options to accommodate one of my nephews who believes he is allergic to everything.

Thinking of cooking the potatoes and the carrots sous vide to provide flexibility with regard to timing and to open up space on the stove top (and in the kitchen). Wondering what other things to make and what other cooking implements I could use.

Whatcha all planning on making?

Bruce

My wife's family is very traditional so you can add things but not subtract. We can host and I'll do a smoked turkey and there will be an oven roasted turkey even if we just have a few people. Not a problem since I like leftover turkey sandwiches and will vac pack turkey for gumbo.

That being said I'm there for the pie. Will hide an extra piece of pecan if we have a lotta people over because I'm having pecan pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving (and Christmas).

Also always have pie for breakfast the day after a SoCal Bash because Greg is also a pie for breakfast guy.

May do a Texas style boneless turkey breast instead of the usual full bird.

We will be going to our sons house in Michigan for Thanksgiving.

I’ll be bringing my dry brined smoked Turkey, to go with whatever he makes.

@ Charles: I'm with you in the pecan pie!
Also agree with the smoked and baked turkey, even if only a few people. Having leftovers in the freezer is gold!

@LYU370: What's Texas style turkey breast? I'm intrigued!

Bruce

Probably the same as last year. It’s not too late to get a rotis for your kettle!

4518-AB4-E-82-A9-4-ED9-87-A7-67-EEFA8-D234-C.jpg

53-D2-A33-B-0-C25-4898-9735-4926-BB10-A96-C.jpg

@ akoda: That looks tasty! Love any new tradition that requires fishing!

@Shadowdog500: Looks like I'll need to get a kettle with a rotisserie! Your bird looks amazing!

BTW: After posting this and thinking about the meal, I'm kind of focused on pecan pie. Might need to make it this weekend.

Bruce

Injected and smoked turkeys for my parents, my family, and a family in need or two. Traditional sides. One of my favorite holidays!!!

2 turkeys here, one fried and one in the oven. Or course there will be all the usual side dishes and deserts to go along with them.

We have friends over for our Pre-Thanksgiving and always go all out. Usually do it a weekend
or 2 before. I'll usually do a spatchcocked bird right on the grates in a really hot oven cooked over stuffing and root vegetables + something with drumsticks or full legs (confit, Disneyland smoked), a variety of sides from traditional to non.
The wife does desserts. One of the requirements is the pecan pie pumpkin cheesecake. It is a pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan pie cooked on top of it. That's some good breakfast.

I haven't even started thinking about this year.

Back