Outdoor Deep Fryer Suggestions

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Looking to get a deep fryer. Primarily, it'd be for wings, fried chicken, fish, chips (American), and fries. Ideally, would like to get a set up to do turkey come thanksgiving. Given my research, it's a "you get what you pay for" scenario. Those 4-in-1 cookers are what I am gravitating to, but a lot of the reviews show catastrophic failures and dents in the pots.

Anyway, I am fine with getting a setup that will fry the little stuff, and down the road getting a set up for turkey.

Seeking advice of the brethren here. Any and all input appreciated

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Would LOVE this model, but a bit out of my casual use budget: https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-700-701-4-Gallon-Stainless/dp/B000TMHSZ4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=BWEH5QGJO46H&keywords=outdoor+fryer&qid=1673480401&sprefix=outdoor+frye%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-6&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

Last edited:
I've got a 2.5 gal Bayou Classic. It cooks really well in small batches, but is a major pain to clean after cooking a lot of breaded stuff. If you plan on keeping the cooker in one place the bigger 4 gal models may make more sense. You can just keep the oil in it and clean/change occasionally.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayou-Classic-2-5-gal-Stainless-Bayou-Fryer/27335213?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9012664&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=27335213&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA2fmdBhBpEiwA4CcHzZmuPNrDR7wneAVlfcfFNN7KVPGV3n19xBJcnAHmxKC_6gNEDn6qahoCcrIQAvD_BwE

I have two of the cajun fryers. One is a 2.5 gallon that gets used pretty much weekly, the other is a 4 gallon that gets used a couple of times per year. I love them both as much as I love my smokers. They come up to temp fairly quick and the oil temps barely drops when I put in a load of fish or fries and recovers very fast. I would recommend one to anyone looking for an outdoor fryer. You can leave your oil in them and only need to change it about 2 times a year (in the 2.5 gallon). If I fry chicken I will drain a little after the oil cools down to get rid of the loose batter that fell off while cooking, then just refill with fresh oil.

Don't know if you already have a turkey fryer, but depending on how often you plan on using, it may suffice. I do some oysters, wings, hush puppies a few times a year and the turkey fryer works find. It is a bit of a pain to get everything out and temp control requires a bit of practice but for as often as I use it it works just fine. Fill about a 1/3 with oil and use a modified spider strainer to scoop out cooked food. Biggest complaint is cleaning / draining when done. I wish it had a valve on the bottom, but I just let it cool and pour into container with funnel when done.

I have a couple large 5 gal oil containers I keep around for fry oil and car oil changes. Got off amazon and are super handy wide mouth sturdy but light containers.

I've had the 4 gl Cajun for many years now. I recommend the 6 gl for turkeys. Bought directly from their National Sales manager. He recommends changing the oil (he said to use canola oil) once a year. He explained that due to the design all the crumbles will settle below the heat tube and thus you will not have the burnt crusties sour the cooking oil. I do drain and strain the oil every 3-4 cooks just to keep it clean. Breaded products create the most crumbs. It's a simple process for me as I have a S/S bucket head strainer and filter with the oil warm for good flow. I use the 234 micron. The 177 may be a bit better but the owner of UBD said his wife uses the 234 so that's what I got. I still have some fines but it does a good job. Send me a pm and I'll send a vid of the process.
:mrgreen:

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/filtersstainlessbucket.php#stainlessbucketstrainerheavyduty

I've had two Cajun FF1R 2.5 gallon fryers. They took nearly 4 gallons of oil each. They scream like banshees when operating. Not the easiest to clean. They don't come with enough hardware. But my two biggest complaints is they're so poorly made it's laughable and their customer service is about the worst I've ever experienced. I'm talking about you Mark Keough - arsehole.

I ended up getting a commercial 240v 15# (2-gallon) electric fryer (Wells F49) on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. I use it outside with an extension cord I made that plugs into my welder outlet in the garage. Heats fast, has a quick recovery and I'm really happy with it.

Last edited:
My son has a 6 gallon Cajun Fryer and loves it.
He's had it 5+ years and still uses it regularly. Highly recommended.

Bought the Cajun Fryer 6gal about 3yrs ago now.

It can cook for a lot of people really fast if ya need

6gal can fry up to 12lb turkey

It’s a workhorse!

Buy the cover for it

:wink:

Last edited:
I've got the 4 gal cajun fryer your looking at and love it easy to drain and clean I use a piece of cheesecloth to drain the oil so I can reuse it

I've got a 2.5 gal Bayou Classic. It cooks really well in small batches, but is a major pain to clean after cooking a lot of breaded stuff. If you plan on keeping the cooker in one place the bigger 4 gal models may make more sense. You can just keep the oil in it and clean/change occasionally.

Thanks gfh. Could you explain what makes it such a pain to clean in the 2.5 as compared to the 4 gallon? Just better size, more oil thing? IIRC they both have drain valves. Sorry, stupid question I know.

I have two of the cajun fryers. One is a 2.5 gallon that gets used pretty much weekly, the other is a 4 gallon that gets used a couple of times per year. I love them both as much as I love my smokers. They come up to temp fairly quick and the oil temps barely drops when I put in a load of fish or fries and recovers very fast. I would recommend one to anyone looking for an outdoor fryer. You can leave your oil in them and only need to change it about 2 times a year (in the 2.5 gallon). If I fry chicken I will drain a little after the oil cools down to get rid of the loose batter that fell off while cooking, then just refill with fresh oil.

Thank you for the info! I envision this feeding a group of 5-10 people depending on food type.

Don't know if you already have a turkey fryer, but depending on how often you plan on using, it may suffice. I do some oysters, wings, hush puppies a few times a year and the turkey fryer works find. It is a bit of a pain to get everything out and temp control requires a bit of practice but for as often as I use it it works just fine. Fill about a 1/3 with oil and use a modified spider strainer to scoop out cooked food. Biggest complaint is cleaning / draining when done. I wish it had a valve on the bottom, but I just let it cool and pour into container with funnel when done.

I have a couple large 5 gal oil containers I keep around for fry oil and car oil changes. Got off amazon and are super handy wide mouth sturdy but light containers.

No turkey fryer yet. I'd consider that as a "nice to have" with my purchase, and would just get a setup to use once a year or less.

I've had the 4 gl Cajun for many years now. I recommend the 6 gl for turkeys. Bought directly from their National Sales manager. He recommends changing the oil (he said to use canola oil) once a year. He explained that due to the design all the crumbles will settle below the heat tube and thus you will not have the burnt crusties sour the cooking oil. I do drain and strain the oil every 3-4 cooks just to keep it clean. Breaded products create the most crumbs. It's a simple process for me as I have a S/S bucket head strainer and filter with the oil warm for good flow. I use the 234 micron. The 177 may be a bit better but the owner of UBD said his wife uses the 234 so that's what I got. I still have some fines but it does a good job. Send me a pm and I'll send a vid of the process.
:mrgreen:

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/filtersstainlessbucket.php#stainlessbucketstrainerheavyduty

Thanks for the info!

I've had two Cajun FF1R 2.5 gallon fryers. They took nearly 4 gallons of oil each. They scream like banshees when operating. Not the easiest to clean. They don't come with enough hardware. But my two biggest complaints is they're so poorly made it's laughable and their customer service is about the worst I've ever experienced. I'm talking about you Mark Keough - arsehole.

I ended up getting a commercial 240v 15# (2-gallon) electric fryer (Wells F49) on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. I use it outside with an extension cord I made that plugs into my welder outlet in the garage. Heats fast, has a quick recovery and I'm really happy with it.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience! Almost every deep fryer I have looked at has at least one review similar to yours. Totally understand your decision, but I hope your experience is the exception rather than the norm.

Great feedback guys, thank you!
Would you consider the Cajun Fryer to be of better quality than the Bayou Classic? Reason I ask is while some retailers have the Cajuns, their lead time is up to 8 weeks and R&V website pops up with a supply chain warning. I think the Bayou Classics are more readily available.

I hope my experience was the exception, but it left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I don't wish them well. Without even looking I'd say the build quality will be better elsewhere. I had leaking at some of the welds, the holes were so big the screw heads fell through and there wasn't enough washers for all of them. Even the aluminum plate was riveted on crooked. And that was the case with both of them. This was at the end of 2020.

Don't blame you for feeling that way. I appreciate you sharing the experience. I wish I had a 240 outlet in my backyard to be able to do something similar.

Thanks gfh. Could you explain what makes it such a pain to clean in the 2.5 as compared to the 4 gallon? Just better size, more oil thing? IIRC they both have drain valves. Sorry, stupid question I know.

It's partially because I use it infrequently but heavily when I do, then try to drain and clean it so it can be broken down and stored away until needed again. If you just drain, filter and put the oil back, that might be easier. Another issue with the 2.5 gal Bayou fryer is that the V-shaped area under the hot gas square tubing in the cooker is really tight, and that's where all the crud settles. It takes patience and some bendy bottle brushes to clean it well.

My brother has the better made and larger twin basket 4 gal Cajun fryer. He uses it at least every couple of weeks and leaves it filled with peanut oil and just does an occasional drain and filter until the oil starts to smell funny, then swaps it. That seems to work for him. I like to pretend he occasionally cleans it since he cooks catfish for us sometimes, but you never know.........

Get yourself a Butterball Turkey Fryer XL. It can do a 18/lb Turkey. It takes about 2 gallons of oil. You can also use it for fried chicken, and big batches of wings.
When im doing superbowl, i can feed the masses.

When I change the oil in my Cajun Fryers I drain the oil and fill with water then place a couple of Cascade Platinum dishwasher pods in the basket. Let it boil for 10 minutes, drain and rinse it out. They come out almost as clean as new. A local restaurant supply store also sells deep fryer cleaning pucks. They look like a chlorine tablet for a pool. They leave it cleaner than new, but they are about $18.00 each.

In my opinion, this is one of those buy once, cry once type situation. With the one listed below, I have a set it and forget it (where have I heard that before) fryer. Is it overkill? Perhaps.

I have owned the stainless Bayou Classic in both 2 1/2 and 4 gallon models. Wile they are nice looking cookers, the metal is too thin and they experience heat loss in cold weather or windy conditions. I found myself constantly adjusting the burner to keep the temps that I wanted for frying. Hot weather was less of a problem. I bought both NIB at auction and was lucky enough to sell both for more than I had in them.

The only draw back to the fryer listed below for your requirements, is it will not be big enough to cook a whole turkey. The cooking depth is not deep enough to submerse an entire turkey. You might be able to cook a 10-12 pound turkey if it was cut in half and cook one half at a time. But for all other frying it works extremely well.

https://www.equippers.com/patriot-35-40-lb-lp-gas-fryer-with-stainless-steel-pot-15-1-2-w

I advise not to waste your money on a cheap electric fryer. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck in your quest.

Robert

Back