THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisky

is one Smokin' Farker
Just like the title says, I'm curious if guys moved from a true kamado or other style cooker to the WSCG, and regretted the decision?

I have found many reviews and most all have been good. But I wondering what people are not saying? Feel free to PM me if you're afraid to talk bad about Weber in public :)

I'm mainly looking at consolidating two of my cookers (L BGE and Performer) into one. And gain a bigger cook area.

Thanks

Last edited:
Since when is it wrong to say something bad about Weber?

I have cooked a ton on ours, everything from pork butt to lasagna to pizza and I don't recall thinking "if it only had this" or "that sucks!" The main reason I bought it over the egg is that it isn't ceramic, therefore no cracking issues, that and Mrs. 4ever3 couldn't raise the lid on the extra large egg (actually she could, but wasn't comfortable with it.) As for pricing, when you compare everything that is included with the Summit vs. buying the extra large egg and outfitting it the same as the Summit, there's really not much difference.

I like the my WSCG, but I have some things that I think could be improved. First is the gas starter. it works just fine when the charcoal grate is on the lower level. In fact it almost works to good when the charcoal grate is in that position as for a low an slow cook you only want to have it running for 5 min or less. If it runs more than 5 min, I get run away temps that take a while to bring down. That being said, it is almost worthless starting a fire when the charcoal grate is in the top position, as even after 20 min of flame time it sometimes fails to start (depending on charcoal used). I have begun using the weber charcoal starter cubes when I set the charcoal grate on the top.

I have also found that I can't really use KBB as fuel without imparting off flavors. This isn't a big deal as most Komodo's recommend burning lump, this is no different.

if your used to cooking on a performer, its a bit of a learning curve to cook on the WSCG. I suspect it is much more in line with how you cook on a BGE or another ceramic.

The hinged grate and diffuser plate are nice idea's, but in practice if I want to add fuel during a cook, I remove the food grate and the diffuser plate so I have complete access to the fire. I guess I don't really use the hinges that much, unless I am cooking on without the diffuser plate.

I wish the back wheels on the grill center weren't plastic, but I can't say that they have been limiting or have failed in any way.

Wow 2 popcorns now.....I keep waiting for the action to start but so far pretty uneventful. :grin:

It would appear these cookers aren't the most popular eh? The guys who have them do like them though.

I don't have one but I was going to say something about the price until I saw the OP's post so I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

iu

I don't have one but I was going to say something about the price until I saw the OP's post so I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

I changed it....I guess if they are vastly over priced I'd like to hear thoughts on that. Now I find my self pricing out a 26" Kettle and Humphreys Pint for around the same price...

I think the reason they aren't popular is the marketing campaign rolled out offering to the Weber market that they would replace your kettle and your WSM, which it does but for 4x the cost.

What they should have done is targeted the BGE buyer by saying it's a BGE XL + no cracking + improved mobility + better insulation + better temperature control response + major accessories included + improved ash handling + gas assist start. All for under $1500. Compare that to an equivalent BGE XL at $2k and it is a bargain.

The route they went alienated their existing customer base and failed to reach the BGE buyer.

Poor Identification of the target market.

Wow 2 popcorns now.....I keep waiting for the action to start but so far pretty uneventful. :grin:

It would appear these cookers aren't the most popular eh? The guys who have them do like them though.

My "popcorn" was geared more toward the information this thread might provide. As much as I hate to admit it, I really want to like them.
And I really really don't need the acquisition syndrome to catch me at a weak moment. That would be a disaster...:twitch:

No complaints. We love ours. Friends love ours. Went with this over the BGE over a long period of research and debating. No regrets here. Have had it about 3 months and done multiple cooks and some very long ones in NY winter. Pure love for it. Actually about to get rid of my kettle just because it hasn't been used in so long.

One thing I'd change? Wheels. I hate the plastic wheels. They are cheap. We paid so much for this, give me better wheels.

Back