Kamado Joe vs Weber summit charcoal grill. Usability questions.

Last year, I did exhaustive research on kamados and decided on the WSC. Some of the deciding factors included lighter weight (much easier to move or even bring to friend's place), less worries about cracking , ease of cleaning, and versatility of fuel choice (briquettes or lump). I never use lighter fluid, but if somehow someone thinks it's a good idea, the WSC will not be adversely affected (while the the ceramic kamados absorb it and become tainted). The KJ Big Joe was a close second on my list.

You said you want to go charcoal, have you considered the masterbuilt 560? I am really enjoying mine!

for you WSC owners, what size is the cooking grate and the bottom charcoal grate? This is listed as a 24" unit, but weber doesn't have any replacement grates listed at 24", or any listed specifically for this grill except for wheels. I find it strange that there aren't any replacement parts listed for it on Weber's website. I am very interested in this, my only reservation is the odd 24" size.

You said you want to go charcoal, have you considered the masterbuilt 560? I am really enjoying mine!

The reason I'm put off by the MB is the fact that it uses electricity. Same reason I still haven't pulled the trigger on a pellet.

Does anyone know the thickness of the metal in the Weber? I love my WSM, my 26 inch grill, but the lid does ding easily when something accidentally hits it, and makes it tough to have a good seal.

Does anyone know the thickness of the metal in the Weber? I love my WSM, my 26 inch grill, but the lid does ding easily when something accidentally hits it, and makes it tough to have a good seal.

It's thicker than a regular Weber kettle, but I don't know the gauge of the metal. The lid is double-walled and uses an oven style fiberglass gasket.

Just measured mine at 24".

So it is an odd size. I wonder why Weber chose to do that? maybe going all the way to the 26 would have pushed the cost even more out of reach. I have found a few accessories specifically for this grill, like cast iron grill grates, and I guess for replacement parts one would have to contact Weber directly. I still want one!

I've always wanted to cook on a primo, but have never gotten the chance to. I do love my Kamado Joe. If money wasn't an object I would recommend a true ceramic cooker all day everyday. But for $300??? The Akorn does cook the same as a kamado in my experience. The ONLY drawback I can see is its longevity.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the Weber Summit. I sold my Primo XL that I owned for 10 years and will never look back. Don't get me wrong the primo was an awesome cooker but the WSCG is equal if not better in all categories. I still get the low fuel consumption, heat retention, and stable temps that comes with a ceramic cooker. What I dont get is the weight, fragility, and lack of temperature adjustment. Meaning I can start at low and slow and stay there over night without a fan device. If I over shoot the temp I can easily bring it back down within minutes. If you overshoot a ceramic cooker good luck getting the temp back to where you want it. Most if not all the XL BGE accessories fit the WSCG as they are the same size but so far I find I dont need them. The only accessories Ive purchased are grill grates and the Grate Stacker. Which can work with most any grill. I really cant think of one thing my ceramic cooker has the advantage over the Weber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVfTt-OKtI

I've had my WSCGC for four weeks now. I sold my 26" kettle, an 18" kettle, and my 22" WSM to make room for the WSCGC. No regrets, it's an awesome cooker that is a joy to use.

Back