THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i want to say go with the summit, but i just don't see $1500 worth of craftsmanship and materials there. how much of a deal are we talking? i don't think i'd even pay $1000 for the standard summit, but that's just me.

The Summit would be $1000, plus tax.

Ironically I used to have the exact same feelings about everything Weber... and now I wouldn't spend my money on anything else. :biggrin1:

Yes I'm talking about the Summit Charcoal grill, not a Summit Gasser. And the Propane assist on a performer is simply for lighting the charcoal. Not cooking over. So I'm comparing two Charcoal cookers, don't worry I'm never going back to gas. :mrgreen:

Ok, My bad! When "Summit" is mentioned with no qualifiers it mean the gas grill to me.

I'm seeing you have a UDS. I have a lot of smokers and grills, and I gotta say a large majority of the cooking I do is on my 26 and UDS. I could almost get by with just those 2 - but don't tell anybody. :spy: So, especially with $$ being considered, my vote would be for the 26. I have seen a Summit in action and it is an awesome beast - but I didn't feel the need to go get one (and I can't anyway!).

My vote is "do what you want to do". Don't be swayed by the "if it was me, I'd..." - it's not them- it's you. If you want the Summit charcoal - do it because you want it- not by a poll of (really decent) folks who tend to yell "go big or go home" whether it fits your circumstances or not.

either is a fine choice... if you can't swing both :-D

My vote is "do what you want to do". Don't be swayed by the "if it was me, I'd..." - it's not them- it's you. If you want the Summit charcoal - do it because you want it- not by a poll of (really decent) folks who tend to yell "go big or go home" whether it fits your circumstances or not.

either is a fine choice... if you can't swing both :-D

So sayith the guy with a quote about living vicariously through others in his signature line. :icon_shy

i want to say go with the summit, but i just don't see $1500 worth of craftsmanship and materials there. how much of a deal are we talking? i don't think i'd even pay $1000 for the standard summit, but that's just me.

I sort of feel the same way. I am impressed with the summit for sure, but we're mostly talking about mass produced stamped metal and it's hard to justify that sort of price considering the material. That said, I've never cooked on one so it may be worth every penny.

I would love to get the Summit if money was no obstacle. Unfortunately for most of us here, money is an obstacle. I would go with the 26 inch Weber Kettle. I feel the summit models are at least $700 overpriced.

Back