THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chitown_hillbilly

Full Fledged Farker
So I haven't been around much in the past 5 months because we had a House fire and honestly didn't feel much like tending a fire while cooking or reading posts about it. Anyway, long story short the wall that burnt just so happened to be where my cookers rest for the night. My UDS is basically unfazed except it needs new paint. My Performer Platinum on the other hand has lots of Melty plastic parts.

So I'm considering two options to replace the Performer. Option one would be to buy a 26in kettle, retro fit my performer charcoal lighter into it and build a cart. And BAM, 26in performer with propane assist!

Second option came up yesterday when I walked into an outdoor store that I never visit and they have the Basic Model of the Weber Summit on the Showroom and the owner made me a real good offer on the Display model.

Even after insurance the Summit will still cost me about $550. Where as the 26in Performer idea wouldn't cost me a dime, except my time.

What's your vote?

I can't compare the two, but I will say that I love my 26 incher. The extra space is compared to my old 22.5 really makes a difference in fitting foods. So much so that I ended up buying my younger brother a 26.75 just so I didn't have to cook on his 22 when I went to visit a couple times a year.

At times I'll do short smokes on the Weber, but most of the time I use my UDS.

Have a Weber Summit and don't regret buying it one bit! Great cooker, great warranty, and parts are always available and reasonable.

I know I'm not the only farker wondering if there's a way to pull off getting both. :twisted:

Yes both would be nice

First off I'm a Cheap SOB. But more importantly, I'm literally replacing every thing in my house. Insurance is being very good to us, but when your house is completely gutted, it's obviously time for some upgrades. And Insurance doesn't cover Upgrades! So I have to be kind of careful with my spending right now.

Sounds like the Summit is the clear favorite. Surprising, I thought a 26 in Performer would garner more interest.

I'll cast a vote for the 26 in Performer... As you said, you are replacing a lot of stuff right now and have to be careful with where you spend your money. IMO, while a charcoal Summit would be nice I personally wouldn't be able to justify the extra cost for it

Sounds like the Summit is the clear favorite. Surprising, I thought a 26 in Performer would garner more interest.

Your not comparing apples to apples... You comparison is more like apples to apple pie, two totally different things.

Me personally? Given the choice between the two? I'm going with apple pie every time!

I don't know what all these other farkers are thinking but they all crazy! (no offence) First off, that's like comparing a truck to an electric car. I believe that propane was meant for pot burner and griddles. Meat and veggies should be cooked over wood, lump or even charcoal. IMO. And no one ever went wrong buying a kettle. Little to no maintenance, even cheaper parts and you can do just about anything on it. Go 26" my friend!

I don't know what all these other farkers are thinking but they all crazy! (no offence) First off, that's like comparing a truck to an electric car. I believe that propane was meant for pot burner and griddles. Meat and veggies should be cooked over wood, lump or even charcoal. IMO. And no one ever went wrong buying a kettle. Little to no maintenance, even cheaper parts and you can do just about anything on it. Go 26" my friend!

I think you might be confused about the retrofitting the propane charcoal starter from the performer. It is just for starting the charcoal, not cooking over it.

I also say build a 26 inch performer. That is way more impressive than the overpriced Summit.

Yes I'm talking about the Summit Charcoal grill, not a Summit Gasser. And the Propane assist on a performer is simply for lighting the charcoal. Not cooking over. So I'm comparing two Charcoal cookers, don't worry I'm never going back to gas. :mrgreen:

I know nothing about the Summit but I love my 22.5 Weber kettle. For me it's about food quality...Do you feel that there will be a difference in quality? If so, does it warrant the difference in cost between the two units?
I, for one, feel that I can cook on my kettle and rival food from any higher priced unit every time. The 26" has my vote.

If you're just grilling then the 26 will do the job and you can cook indirect if you want but you're giving up grate space to do it. With the Summit you're not giving up grate space to cook indirect plus it is easier to maintain your temps on. I know you have a UDS but there may be times when you'd rather smoke on the Weber. My 2 cents.

I know nothing about the Summit but I love my 22.5 Weber kettle. For me it's about food quality...Do you feel that there will be a difference in quality? If so, does it warrant the difference in cost between the two units?
I, for one, feel that I can cook on my kettle and rival food from any higher priced unit every time. The 26" has my vote.

What I'm really comparing, besides the cost/time factor, is the size of the 26 vs the versatility of the Summit. Honestly if Baby Back Maniac didn't crank out ridiculously entertaining videos on the Summit, I probably wouldn't even consider it.

i want to say go with the summit, but i just don't see $1500 worth of craftsmanship and materials there. how much of a deal are we talking? i don't think i'd even pay $1000 for the standard summit, but that's just me.

The Summit will make an all around great cooker but I'll still have to vote for the retrofitted 26.75 kettle. You can buy a lot of meat for the price difference. :)

Back