Aldi USDA Choice Bone-In Ribeye Roast $6.99 Per Lb. ?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Sounds like a good price. Should be pretty much the same as prime rib, right? I could cut these into steaks, no? I have never even been in an Aldi but this advert was in the Sunday paper. Any experience with Aldi meat?

I think their angus choice beef is a good deal for the price. I don't go there often but I'd grill one up :thumb:

I did exactly that with prime rib from Publix last Christmas, I think I ended up buying 3, cut them into steaks even smoked the ribs.
I've never had meat from Aldi, so if you buy, please post the cook and your opinion on it.

... I've never had meat from Aldi, so if you buy, please post the cook and your opinion on it.
OK, so far so good. Went to Aldi for the first time. Found insane concept that I should pay a quarter to use their grocery cart. I wonder how much revenue they lose because people go in without a cart and buy only what they need and can carry. No impulse items and really no wandering the store. Self-defeating.

No butcher shop in the store. Meat was shrink-wrapped and marked with stickers saying that it was the weekly meat special. Supply at 11AM seemed ample. I bought a 6-bone piece and a 4-bone piece. I don't think there were any full racks. YouTube gave me pretty good guidance on breaking it down. Rib bones had already been cut away from the meat except for right at the spine end. Easy enough to finish the job. Marbling was not impressive IMO.

I cut out the rib cap aka spinalis and rolled it with some sliced garlic, S&P. I will sous vide it for an hour or two on Sunday morning at maybe 130 or 135 (not all guest like rare), then sear and slice it for the buffet. The round profile should allow a fairly complete sear.

I cut out the smaller complexus muscle; it went into the freezer until I figure out what to do with it. Any ideas?

Remaining were a couple of 11oz. steaks and a couple of 9 oz. We'll try a couple of those on Saturday night. SV and sear again.

Here is the scene of the crime:
WU8RlUW

WU8RlUW.jpg

WU8RlUW

WU8RlUW

For the record, you get the quarter back when you return the cart at ALDI. ��
Thx. I didn't explore that deal that far. Regardless, a stupid idea even if it only cuts revenue from customers who don't happen to have a quarter. Paying someone to bring in carts from the parking lot once in a while doesn't cost that much. But that's enough OT.

For the record, you get the quarter back when you return the cart at ALDI. ��

Yep, there is zero lost revenue because of this concept, only increased revenue as the prices are down as there is no paying a kid to bag groceries and shag carts in the lot all day long.

And Aldi is owned by the same company is Trader Joe's. Different concepts going at opposite ends of the spectrum, but still pretty high on quality at least in our experience.

The Germans

It's a unique experience if you aren't prepared for it. It's my local store of choice, because the employees are actually so friendly. I talk BBQ/smokers with a few of them.

People will often give you a cart. Or, the employees will let you borrow one most of the time. I saw someone having a panic attack because she couldn't find a quarter, so I just handed her mine and grabbed another from my car. I normally hand the cart off to someone else entering the store.

Ours has pretty solid produce, the rotating items can make it fun (although frustrating if you like something and it's now gone for another year) I've also had much more consistent results with their meats than I have with other regional chains.

It's a unique experience if you aren't prepared for it. ... I've also had much more consistent results with their meats than I have with other regional chains.
Good to know. The revenue loss I see is that a customer without a cart, having to hold his/her purchases, is not going to spend time browsing so less time in the store plus less likelihood he/she will pick up and try to carry impulse items. The flip side of this marketing issue is the giant carts at Costco. The smart marketers there want to make sure the customer always has space for impulse items and will be less likely to stop shopping because the cart is full. It is not a coincidence that the snack nuts are near the checkouts.

Re ownership, IIRC there are two completely separate Aldis -- like Sud and Nord. Brothers that split up. Again IIRC, one Aldi owns Tjs and the other one owns the US grocery stores.

Could be. I'm not an expert in grocery store revenues, I'm just a guy that loves shopping for food. The ALDI closest to me just had to relocate to a larger store with more parking, and the second closest just did a full remodel. It doesn't appear that they are struggling. You can also grab a box, for free, to help you carry things as well?

I love how fast I can be in and out of the store. I did run over yesterday, just to get this roast (thanks for the heads up, I knew about it before the ad hit our house) and was out and back in my car faster than I would have even made it to the meat department in another grocery store.

You need to trim that spinalis more. Get all of the white stuff off. Or most I should say. Some of the silver skin won’t hurt. But what you have still on the roll is tendons and other stuff that will greatly inhibit chewing.

I would also recommend tying and cutting into individual “steaks”. But if you want the roast and slice feeling, I can see that.

For the smaller spinalis, just grill it flat like a skirt steak

Thx. I didn't explore that deal that far. Regardless, a stupid idea even if it only cuts revenue from customers who don't happen to have a quarter. Paying someone to bring in carts from the parking lot once in a while doesn't cost that much. But that's enough OT.

I had the same reaction the first time I saw that at a Bigg's store. Eventually I got used to it and it was just part of the shopping trip. They even give you a key fob that holds a quarter for you. It also encourages you to bring the cart back to the corral. It was nice that you didn't see carts all over the lot.

They aren’t charging you for the cart, they are insuring that you bring the cart back (so you can get yer quarter back) as oppose to paying someone to walk the lot and gather carts. Therefore passing the savings on to you! The store doesn’t pay the cart dude, you do in higher prices!

Now, let’s cook some MEAT!!!

I have had really good luck with all Aldi products. Especially dairy, (Irish Butter thanks Jeremy), nuts and their cookies are like what girl scout ones used to be. Just bought a load of corned beef points for $1.99lb

Or if the cart thing bothers you go to wal-mart. The carts are free albeit usually dirty and the parking lot costs more from going around and around. Your found place is usually a quarter mile hike. Leave the cart down there it is job security for some kid that really needs the money.

You need to trim that spinalis more. Get all of the white stuff off. Or most I should say. Some of the silver skin won’t hurt. But what you have still on the roll is tendons and other stuff that will greatly inhibit chewing. ...
Thanks. Actually I realized that as I was posting the picture, wondered if anyone would point it out :clap:, and went back to trim what was still there. Don't know if I got everything; this is my first rodeo. We'll see.

I might try just grilling the spinalis as-is someday, but for serving at an Easter buffet I'd rather offer some small slices. We have enough vaccinated family that we can actually invite a few people over.

Or if the cart thing bothers you go to wal-mart. ...
You're missing the point completely. I am not "bothered" but I am paying attention. I'm pretty sure that their system hurts them on the revenue line by cutting average ticket size a little bit. I do pro bono mentoring for small businesses and my antenna are always up for good and bad marketing ideas. Bad ones make good lessons and good ones merit copying.

Back