THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yesterday, the Lee's Summit Price Chopper (East 50 HWY) had KC Strip roast on sale for $4.99 lb. These were select cuts that averaged over ten pounds per roast. Butcher said they ordered too many roasts and needed to get rid of them. I forgot to ask if these roasts were on sale at their other KC locations. The man said they would stay on sale until they were gone. I picked up a 14 pounder. I will probably cut them into 16 ounce steaks and save the trimmings for grinding.

Lager,

Juggy

Saw those as well, the trick is to find the ones with a black angus label and not excel or IBP select stamps. I’ve scored some very nice ribeyes that way buying the whole roasts for $6-7/lb.

I had thought about just PMing you the heads up on the roast as I am guessing you and I might be the only active posters on the message board in the Lee's Summit area. I am sure there are lurkers in the area so that is why I posted the information. I did not check all of the roasts to see if there were other options to than the Excel select as I was short on time. Plus, there another shopper was waiting on me so he could rearrange the pile of roasts they had on hand.

I might be committing "BBQ blasphemy" by saying this, but I would much rather cook a select KC strip roast that cost $4.99 lb than a choice brisket that costs $3.99 lb. I have never done a pre-cooking weight to cooked weight comparison on the strip roast, but I am sure it is a lot higher yield than the average brisket yield of 50%. I have yet to cut that roast into steaks and I think I may leave a good sized roast just to see what the yield percentage is. I at least know this much in advance of this experiment, the cooking time will be a lot less.

Lager,

Juggy D retired Beerman

Back