Cooked a choice brisket from costco this weekend

blackdogbbq21

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Paul
Costco was my go to place to get prime briskets so i was disappointed when they vanished from my local stores. Now i know how beef is graded just from a small ribeye section, but i still like to start with the best meat i can find and afford if I'm going to watch a fire for 12+ hours. Last week when i was in the store, they had some Angus choice briskets that looked good so i grabbed a 14 pounder to see how it would turn out. I cooked it paper wrap, no spritz, no tallow and held it overnight at 150 degrees. Honestly the finish product it was really hard to tell the difference between this brisket and prime briskets I've done. Obviously it's just one brisket and i'll need to do a few more but based on this i wouldn't hesitate to cook another choice brisket. I am still hoping costco gets the prime back especially since the price difference is only like 20 cents per pound. However in the meantime it seems like as long as i do my job it seems like the choice brisket should fit the bill. In talking to the meat department they are still ordering the primes it's just that their orders are not currently being filled.

Sorry forgot to get any photos.

Found some prime briskets at the new Costco here in College Station. Plan to cook one this weekend.
picture.php

Honestly, I find that the superior angus beef choice briskets I get from Restaurant Depot are consistently better (and less expensive) than the primes I have gotten from Costco.

Back