THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi!

Aguachile is a particular type of ceviche.

Ceviche is mostly made from fish (always raw) and sometimes shrimp, and can also have another seafood like octopus (mildly cooked), oysters, scallops etc. Ceviche is very similar to the aguachile recipe from the OP but the jalapeños are finely chopped and not liquified in the blender, it has tomato, onion, raw chopped jalapeños, cucumber, avocado (served at last on top so it doesn't look damaged), a squirt of olive oil and lots of lime juice (the lime "cooks" the raw fish so it must set for a couple hours in the fridge before serving).

Now, the aguachile is a very special type of ceviche that it is mostly known in the northern part of the pacific coast (Sinaloa and up) and it is only from raw shrimp and with only the ingredients described in the OP (otherwise it would be shrimp ceviche). With aguachile, what varies from region to region is the type of chile used (habaneros in some cases) and another spices and sauces like Maggi that makes it dark.

Saludos!
Alex.

Alex,

Thank you for your input! I'd like to make a batch for me with some habaneros, that would really put it over the top. Growing up, my Grandfather always made what he called a "curtido." It was a huge batch of onions, celery, carrots, fresh jalapenos, tomato, and whatever else he could find, many times dry shrimp, beef jerky, oysters, baby eels, etc and would squeeze lime after lime over all of this. He would then break some large pieces of ice off the block, and put em in to help cool it off. It set for hours and then everyone would pick at it throughout the course of the day or the party. This dish reminded me a lot of that.
Gracias!
Bob

Back