THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humor for the day.I dont remember where this came from if its yours take the credit

Attachments

• Real_q.jpg
    Real_q.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 157
I have had crappy food from stick burners and pellet poopers. If you cannot cook on one you ain't going to be able to cook on the other type of cooker.

Now having said this, I prefer stickburners, but truly it is just a preference.

At comps, I could actually drink more with a pellet pooper.
Stick burners keep me from drinking excessively.

See both have their benefits!:p

I met Rod from Pellet Envy this year in Waterloo. He was cooking on an off-set. I asked him why he wasn't using his pellet cooker. He said, "I am. These are just bigger pellets!"

Last edited:
ok - here it is........once again......it is internal temps and a sauce contest.. it does not matter how the temp gets there. i use to be completely against pellet cookers until i got 7 hours sleep and won a gc with it. I personally like the food off of my spice better but I will always use the fe if I can lug it with me. The spice has won a gc also, so I'll stand by the sauce thing!!!

I think that some cooks that use stickburners would like to see fire control skills as part of the equation. All the top cooks I know that use pellet cookers could use pretty much anything and do good though. If you want to ban pellet cookers ya gotta do the same with guru controlled charcoal boxes. ie, Not going to happen.

I think that some cooks that use stickburners would like to see fire control skills as part of the equation. All the top cooks I know that use pellet cookers could use pretty much anything and do good though. If you want to ban pellet cookers ya gotta do the same with guru controlled charcoal boxes. ie, Not going to happen.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

From the mouth of The Jack 09 winner!!! Hats off to you chris! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:cool:

BTW... agree.. 100%! IMO, Fire control should be part of a contest equation.. Its not the fuel source thats the issue, its the thermostat. IMO, any type of thermostatically controlled device or assist should be left home.

Like chris says, its not gonna happen, (but sure wish it would!)

(heres where someone brings up fear of technology, digging holes for the purist, leave the thermometers home, test pit temps by licking the steel, dont use tongs, flip meat with your toes, etc..)

Pellet pits take ALL the fun out of BBQ competitions. If only I had a fire to tend to on Oct 2-3. Soooooo boring.

8531_1125203214723_1366433322_30334762_8082577_n.jpg

I actually had a co-worker ask me (after reading this thread over my shoulder...) if using a pellet pooper was like using an aluminum bat in Major League Baseball... I didn't have an actual answer... :p

I actually had a co-worker ask me (after reading this thread over my shoulder...) if using a pellet pooper was like using an aluminum bat in Major League Baseball... I didn't have an actual answer... :p

No, because it's not against the rules.

Baseball (like most things in life) change over time (baseball with wooden bats in 2009 hardly looks like Native American stickball centuries ago).

Best thing for those that oppose the rules is to either change the rules or learn to live with them (don't give yourself an ulcer)

Im just saying, if it's truly the cook and not the cooker, why are there rules regarding what type of cooker has to be used...burning wood in a thermostatically computer controlled pit with an electric auger takes a lot of the fun outta things in my book.
Comps have all sorts of things that go wrong, power can go down, people with gurus and stokers are scrambling around opening up vents, letting there cookers run au-natural, but what does the guy with the "oven" do, in my book, he's S.O.L. unless he has his own generator.

There's your answer. In my book, there's a difference between fun and competition. Fun is what I do in my backyard (entertaining and feeding friends); competition is serious business. Hence Scottie's post about making a bank deposit on Monday mornings. I know a lot of cooks swear competitions are fun but go over to their camp and try to cut up, pop a few beers and distract them at crunch time. You may get a Jaccard to the nose. It gets intense.

I've havent been competing that long but I've competed long enough to learn that:

• Sleep is important at comps
  • my partner's WSM worked better than Bandera (at the comp)
  • the cooker wont win the comp - it's still up to the cook
  • but a nicer cooker makes life easier on the cook

This year we used BeerGuy's Traeger at comps. We loaded it up, set the digital temp display to 230* ...... and went to bed. :shock: (Dare I say it) Yes, it felt like cheating. :lol: But that's OK. We were more rested the next day and more focused while getting the Q just right and fixing the boxes. Again, it's competition not backyard cooking.

Rules are rules and I dont have a problem with them. I'll play within the rules with the equipment I can afford. If I had the funds and I made the decision to really get serious about competing I would buy TWO FEC's!!

All that said, I wouldnt trade my old trusty 'Dera for the world. It's still my favorite backyard smoker.

Back