THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have made pastrami from Tri Tip, it was amazing. I can't remember the recipe for the cure, but I used Thirdeye's rub, after it was cured. If you're contemplating using a TT, I highly recommend it, it disappeared quickly.

Matt

I also use Eye of Round and Beef Bottom Round for lean corned beef and pastrami. Very tasty lean beef.

If you are corning your own beef and you are near a butcher, try corning a naval plate and make beef bacon... Awesome change for bacon from time to time.

If you corn eye of round do you follow the same process as corned beef brisket? Do you have to brine longer because of the thickness? One more question - if everyone uses brisket for corned beef and pastrami how do they get such big (diameter) slices?

Last one I did was point and was very satisfied - really closer to Katz style pastrami than brisket flat (and a lot cheaper). I'm sure I'll still pick up some of that pre-corned stuff from Argentina or wherever for the price. Those big diameter slices you see are usually bottom round - very lean stuff.

I must not have had enough coffee this morning. I read the title as "question about cats for making pastrami." LOL!

Well i do have an extra cat lying around. Which would be best to use, the all gray one or the orange tabbi?

Garfield and Nurmal

Looks like ill be picking up a TT tomorrow, about a 10 days on the soak?

I would add, that traditionally, beef belly or beef plate, depending on what you call the beef navel, is what is used for pastrami. You sure it the same as corned beef, then smoke it, then steam it. It is great stuff.

Corned and Pastramied Beef

You folks would be welcome to try my Corned and Pastramied Beef from scratch recipe and method. It makes a wonderful product that is as good as I have ever eaten.

DSC02129.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

You can find three articles on my blog about this great treat.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2009/01/corned-and-pastramied-beef.html

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2012/09/corn-and-pastrami-beef-from-scratch_11.html

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2014/01/pastramied-beef-from-scratch-and.html

If you do try it, let me know how you like it.

Dave

If you corn eye of round do you follow the same process as corned beef brisket? Do you have to brine longer because of the thickness? One more question - if everyone uses brisket for corned beef and pastrami how do they get such big (diameter) slices?

Yes, the thicker the cut, the longer the cure time....

As far as diameter or thickness, not all briskets are the same size, some are very small, while others can be very large.

Personally I find round to be too dry for corned beef, or for anything else really. I hardly ever buy it. I think tri-tip sounds like a fantastic idea. I wish I could ever find it around here, but is is really rare that I see it. The last one I did was with a brisket point and that was really good. I know it's not terribly healthy but if there isn't a good amount of fat in pastrami, it just doesn't seem like pastrami.

I use bottom round when it goes on sale. I look for the fattiest pieces. The butcher will also save the better pieces for me. Never had a problem.

Well i do have an extra cat lying around. Which would be best to use, the all gray one or the orange tabbi?

Garfield and Nurmal

Looks like ill be picking up a TT tomorrow, about a 10 days on the soak?
Cats are better done hot and fast.

I love me some burnt ends, so I don't know that I'd cure the point. I've not heard of curing tri-tip before now, but sounds like a good idea. Makes me want to give it a try myself. I'd love to know how it turns out.

Back