THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sash501

Knows what a fatty is.
As some of you will know from my last post, I'm new to this game. Toast and BDAABAT really came through for me on my first thread with great advice and starter tips. I went with Bruce's suggestion and started my first smoke with some fatties. Nice and easy and only a couple hours to smoke.

Only had about a few minutes of panic. The chimney got burnt a little as the fire spread while I was inside preparing. Their cheap though so no real harm done and I learned that I can just do the chimney on the side and then pour the coals.

I must say that the fattie is the way to go for a newb. It let me focus more on learning about how to maintain a proper cooking temp and work with my vents. I loaded up the charcoal and had about a 2 1/2 hour smoke at about 140 degrees. Meat was pulled off between 160 and 165.

The only other thing to add was I learned about sea grape wood. In south Florida we have this stuff everywhere. I went out and cut a few branches and threw it right on. It worked great. Only down side is it produces a real light smoke. As such, it would probably be better for fish. I know the Virgin Islands use it a lot for eel and the like.

Enough about me, on to the pron . . .

DSC_0660-1.jpg

DSC_0671-1.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

They were awesome. Thanks again to those of you who helped.

We did one spicey one mild. The "skinny's" thought the whole thing was gross, until they took a bite. They've already started asking when the next smoke goes down. Thinking about trying a couple butts or some ribs in two weeks. Stay tuned and I'll try to get some more pron for you all.

Looks delicious bro. Making me hungry! Leftovers PP sammiches for me.

Looks great! I thought maybe that was a well placed 'skinny' shot in the background... but I'm not arguing.. BBQ & Bikinis.. hmm.. think I need to open a restaurant. :cool:

K sorry, Im not really the go to when it comes to smoking, however i think your numbers are off. Did you smoke for 2.5hrs at 140 or 240. only reason i ask is that seems to be a lot of coals for 140, and i dont think you can get meat to 160degrees with only a 140 degree fire.

Otherwise looks great, throw some ABT's (my first smoke) on there and that skinny will keep showing up!

K sorry, Im not really the go to when it comes to smoking, however i think your numbers are off. Did you smoke for 2.5hrs at 140 or 240. only reason i ask is that seems to be a lot of coals for 140, and i dont think you can get meat to 160degrees with only a 140 degree fire.

Otherwise looks great, throw some ABT's (my first smoke) on there and that skinny will keep showing up!

Yes typo. Temp was pretty consistent at 240. Can't edit that first post for some reason the edit button is missing.

Last edited:
I realize this may sound odd, sick even, but despite the girl in the 2nd pic and the glorious looking food, the main thing I noticed was the quality of the photos. Mind if I ask what kind of camera? Was it a fast 50mm lens?

I realize this may sound odd, sick even, but despite the girl in the 2nd pic and the glorious looking food, the main thing I noticed was the quality of the photos. Mind if I ask what kind of camera? Was it a fast 50mm lens?

Nikon D5100 the lens was the standard 18-55. The camera's are amazing. I play a lot with mine, but they make them so good, that simply putting it on auto will still produce amazing shots. The cool thing about Nikon is if you want to use an old lens you can. It can't integrate with the computer (when using an old nikon lens that was produced before cameras had computers) on the camera so you can't use the screen, but as most photographers will tell you, you don't use the screen to take the photo anyway. A lot of fun if you have the time.

Nice job sash! Looking good!

Now that you got your first taste of fatties, would bet that they become staples in your life.

So....whatcha gonna do next? ABTs? Maybe some MOINKs? Oh man, if the skinnies liked the fatties, they'll go absolutely BONKERS for MOINKs!

MOINK: Moo (beef) + OINK (pig) = MOINK.

Offical rules for MOINKs state that you must use pre made frozen meatballs for the beef (defrosted), then wrap in bacon, dust with rub, then smoke till done. You MAY elect to finish with some sauce, then smoke a bit to set, or just go with the un-enrobed MOINK.

Be sure to make more than what you think you might eat...you'll end up wishing you had made more. :D

Good luck! And keep posting the pr0n.

Bruce

Back