Low carb side dish suggestions

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Good day all!

I'm reaching out to the Brethren for suggestions on low carb sides.

NOTE: I am not diabetic, just a fat farker attempting to become just a farker. :-D

Q is a terrific way to get on and maintain a low carb plan, but I'm having a challenge figuring out side dishes that are tasty and low carb enough to help me stick to that plan.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

I’m down 46+# in 14 months eating foods mostly from this list. And I eat a lot. It works for me and the Bride. Added a tad assuming alcohol consumption. Alcohol is cool- dark beer and red wine. Unfortunately brown water gifts and purchases have been tempting me.

6-2 269# 11-01-2016, 223# this morning

5-4 149# 11-01-2016 131# this morning

I’m not perfect at it. Bride is less perfect. She likes waffles and chocolate.
Still works for us eating primarily low glycemic index foods.

Peruse this list.

http://drfitt.com/bali-food-list/

Roasted corn on the cob off the cob with cotija cheese (or parmesan) with some butter lime and chili

Coin cut zucchini and squash tossed in canola oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning and baked on a greased sheet at 400F for 30 minutes or so. Keep the coin cut veggies 1/4 to 1/2" thick.

Whole head of cauliflower covered in plain yogurt then apply curry powder, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika and bake on a greased sheet pan for 30 minutes. Cut it into 1" thick slices vertically. Reseason to taste.

Corn tomato salad with fresh herbs, extra virgin olive oil and lime juice.

These are some of our favorites. Check out 16Adams's post lots of really great looking food.

LOL he posted just before me!

I love smoked green beans, and smoked cauliflower. Most people do their cauliflower whole, I just chop mine up and put in in an aluminum pan. Toss with S&P and olive oil. I also like to roast it in the oven. Learn to cook it right, and it makes a pretty good substitute for potatoes. You can also steam it, and add it to mashed potatoes, to lower the carbs.

Thank you for the list!

I'm curious...most of the suggestions have been for veggies. Do folks have other suggestions that are in addition to veg?

I've done low carb previously with very good weight loss results. In the past, one of the issues that I've had in being able to stick to a low carb diet is the impact of increasing the veg content on my GI tract. When the veggie quotient increases, the, ummm, speed at which things traverse my gastrointestinal tract increases. :mmph:

Corn and cauliflower are a particular is a problem for me. Love the taste of both, unfortunately, my GI tract can't tolerate anything more than a bite or two before objecting.

Thanks!
Bruce

Quinoa, Barley, Aduki beans

Thank you for the list!

I'm curious...most of the suggestions have been for veggies. Do folks have other suggestions that are in addition to veg?

I've done low carb previously with very good weight loss results. In the past, one of the issues that I've had in being able to stick to a low carb diet is the impact of increasing the veg content on my GI tract. When the veggie quotient increases, the, ummm, speed at which things traverse my gastrointestinal tract increases. :mmph:

Corn and cauliflower are a particular is a problem for me. Love the taste of both, unfortunately, my GI tract can't tolerate anything more than a bite or two before objecting.

Thanks!
Bruce

I've been into Brussels sprouts with lots of thick cut bacon lately. I eat a lot of grilled asparagus. I also buy frozen bags of vegetables from Costco. They're cheap, "organic" if you care about that sort of thing (I dont), and taste nearly as good as fresh. Lots of green beans, corn (has some carbs/sugar), and their stir fry mix.

@ rookiedad: That's what I've been reading about most recently. Am really restricting carbs now to try to get to ketosis and hopefully achieve some results relatively quickly.

@JoshW: thanks! Never heard of Aduki beans...will look them up.

@susandswine: Yup, enjoy roasted Brussels's sprouts. Am getting ready to go to the store shortly...will be picking some up! Thanks!

Bruce

Today is going to be venison brisket chophouse burgers (no bun) topped with onion portobello and Swiss with roasted cauliflower and broccoli. Then nothing after 2pm.

Nice thing about the Dr Fitt list- you don’t count carbs, protein calories etc. you just eat from an extensive list of low glycemic non processed foods. Simple.

But there’s lots of ways to get where you want to be. You can mix and match programs. I’ve got a friend that doesn’t read labels. He doesn’t because he won’t buy or eat anything with an ingredient label.

He’s got the barest fridge I’ve ever seen. He eats everything fresh, unless he dines out.

Last edited:
consider the keto diet!

Cleaning out (eating) the pantry/fridge/freezer in preparation...

Thank you for the list!

Low carb is no sugar, grains, starches, etc. (pasta, rice, taters, bread, cornbread, good beer). :sad:

Be careful with veggies, corn, peas and most beans are a no-no. In moderation, carrots, green beans, onions are ok. Someone mentioned quinoa, that's also a no-no.

Fathead pizza dough. I use it for pizzas and many other things.

Beyers Carb Smart ice cream

Ole` High fiber, low carb tortillas

Parmesan Whisps (Costco)

Budding beef wraps with cream cheese and pickles

Stuffed peppers

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts

Buffalo chicken dip

Healthy Life high fiber low carb bread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back