Suggestions appreciated: ideas for workplace pot luck

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy all! Would appreciate suggestions for an upcoming workplace pot luck. Am looking for ideas that are:
  • Low carb
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Easily transportable
  • Able to be heated/served in a Crock pot
  • Something that is NOT pulled pork
  • TASTY!

(Unfortunately, I've eaten so much pulled pork that I really don't enjoy it very much anymore. I mean, I'll eat it, just not something that I immediately think of a super yummy, the way I used to before overdosing on it).

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Low carb could be Dr Chickens Double Smoked Ham, that's what I usually bring to a work thing.

OR

Wampus beans, not sure about the carbs but delicious.

@ Andy: Excellent suggestion! Also has the benefit being able to be made in advance and actually improving a bit with some time. Of course, when I think of chili, I also think of jalapeno cheese cornbread... and then remember that I ate myself into being borderline T2 diabetic and no longer can afford the carbs for cornbread. :bored:

@ Matt: Wampus beans are spectacular! They are also loaded with carbs. Never heard of Dr. Chickens double smoked ham...will begin perusing.

Bruce

@ KJ: Definite possibility, and two of my favorite things to make in the smoker. Unfortunately, beef chuck roast and brisket prices here are relatively high. Last time I did beef chuck roasts, I spent ~ $45 just for the protein.

Bruce

My go to is Buffalo Chicken Dip in the crockpot. I would double or triple this recipe depending on the crowd size. I serve it with thick tortilla chips. You could bring some lo-carb crackers for yourself too. This gets rave reviews every time I make it, and it's really easy.

8 oz of cream cheese
2-3 cooked chicken breasts
1/2 cup of good quality ranch (refrigerated Marie's or similar)
1/3rd cup of Buffalo sauce (more if you like it spicier)
1/3rd of an onion

If you smoke the chicken breast the day before, it'll take this recipe to the next level. If I don't have time to smoke chicken, I'll get a couple of rotisserie chickens the day before.

@Fooball: Thanks for the rec!

Unfortunately, that sauce is not something that appeals to me. Comparing it to regular sauce is like comparing diet soda to Coke. To me, it's got a sickly, artificial sweetness that's exceptionally unpleasant.

@Skatersmoker: Thanks for the recipe! Will have to do some advanced testing to be sure if it's OK for the work-folk. :biggrin1:

@Smokisgood: Intriguing...doesn't the skin become sort of funky being in the crock pot?

Bruce

@Fooball: Thanks for the rec!

Unfortunately, that sauce is not something that appeals to me. Comparing it to regular sauce is like comparing diet soda to Coke. To me, it's got a sickly, artificial sweetness that's exceptionally unpleasant.

Ahhh... I've never tried it. That's too bad.

Low carb is going to be the tough one, but there are 'Carb Smart' flour tortillas that are 4 grams net carbs (because of the high fiber), so this opens the door to any kind of meat/veggie combination served from Crock Pots. And not limited to Mexican food either. I'm talking wraps galore or even a tray of pinwheels you make the evening before.

Another thought is pork loins. A lot more value than butt, and hardly any waste. And a short cook. If you are mindful when trimming the silver skin, it's all slice and go. I would take boxes of sliced loins to work on a regular basis.

uBzlBX7.jpg

i18CgKt.jpg

fI5K7vt.jpg

Many of my customers had an oven or two in their lunchrooms, and one had a cabinet smoker. So covered pans of goodies were always big hits.

Igx6pjJ.jpg

Tacos or fajitas. Beef fajitas might bump up against your "relatively inexpensive" rule. If it does, go for the tacos or make chicken fajitas. If your coworkers don't like them, you're working with the wrong people.

@kevin: Fajitas is really intriguing. Will also be making salsa and bringing chips for the group, so that would make it more of a theme.

Chicken fajitas are relatively inexpensive; they're easy to make a boatload of on the Blackstone griddle, and they reheat well. I think we have a winner!

@ thirdeye: Yes, have tried several variants of low carb tortillas and enjoy them. Not sure if this has been an issue for you or not, but I feel the need to make others aware. You noted that they're low carb because they include a lot of fiber, making the net carbs low. If you happen to enjoy two burrito sized tortillas or even several of the taco sized tortillas, that can make the rest of your day, ummm, something that may not be totally under your control.

I think the total fiber count per tortilla for the large tortillas is 25 grams for the Mission brand product. For me, enjoying 50 grams of fiber at one time was a mistake. :oops:

Bruce

Back