Smoked, low carb Chicken Parmesan

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
We make this a lot in our house, as it’s one of the few dishes everyone loves. Tonight I got a wild hair to try it on the smoker.

So, first things first, fire up the pellet pooper to 350.

Then I took two breasts and cut each down into two thin cut breasts, for a total of four. I do this because otherwise they take so long to cook, plus with the size of chicken breasts these days, half of one is plenty for me.

Anyway, they all got a good dusting of seasoning salt on both side then dipped into an egg wash. To make these low carb, instead of breading I use Bob’s Red Mill natural almond flour, and mix in some Italian seasoning before tossing the chicken in it.

Then into the smoker,
34d8ce633fb9fd14f3ad6829eaec521d.jpg

Cooked for about 20 minutes. Not the best picture, it got dark out there and I couldn’t get the flash to fire.

db51463bb522a14368f4d2c741f50432.jpg

Back inside I turned the oven on to 350, and put a layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Then the chicken, and dolloped the rest of the marinara around the sides of the chicken. Next, a good pile of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan followed by a sprinkle of basil. Into the oven for 15-20 minutes to warm everything up and get the cheese nice and melty.

51489d8e6802652c2731f46e97ae2008.jpg

If the cheese isn’t nice and browned after 20 minutes hit it with the broiler to get good color.

61baa7dc4e005ec7c4a95cb253852138.jpg

Served with a “power blend” of some sort. Black beans, corn, brown rice, lentils, etc. that wasn’t horrible but the chicken was better.

87d4b554228897a847e7741843004629.jpg

The smoke added another layer of depth to the chicken and was great! I think I’ll do it this way from now on.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Chicken looks great but that side dish sure killed your carb count.
Might try that chicken. Looks quick & easy.

Except for the corn the power blend looks like it could be fairly low-glycemic.

I'd like to know more if possible.

Except for the corn the power blend looks like it could be fairly low-glycemic.

I'd like to know more if possible.

I assume that's one of the Birds Eys Power Blend varieties. Sounds like they changed the recipe a couple months ago, all the online reviews are blasting the new recipes. But I haven't tried the new nor the old versions.

https://www.birdseye.com/sauced-seasoned/power-blends

Exactly LYU, it was the southwest style power blend. It's been in my freezer waiting to be used for at least several months, so probably the older version. It had good flavor, but for me something in it, possibly the black beans, didn't seem done enough and were a little chewy. I'm not sure I'd get it again, especially if they've changed it for the worse, but if I did I'd make sure to cook it longer than recommended.

Back