Habanero Question

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Each year, I start my peppers from seed at the end of January and they are ready by April to be hardened off and transplanted to the garden. This year, I grew Chilhuacle Negros, Chocolate Habaneros, Jalapenos, Cowhorns and Long Red Slim Cayennes. All of the peppers, except for the Habaneros, germinated and grew quickly. I only had 1 of 10 Habaneros germinate. Right now, all of the other pepper plants are about 12 inches tall and have been transplanted. The 1 surviving Habanero is only about 3 inches tall. I have heard that Habaneros are finicky and slow-growing, but I must have done something wrong.

I bought the seeds from Pepper Joes, used Miracle Gro Potting Soil and planted the seeds in 4" pots. I used a combination of grow lights and sunlight for 12 hours each day. The room that the seeds were growing in averaged about 75*F. I emailed Pepper Joe's and they sent out a replacement pack of seeds. But, it is too late to start them from seed. So, what do you think I did wrong?

Each year, I start my peppers from seed at the end of January and they are ready by April to be hardened off and transplanted to the garden. This year, I grew Chilhuacle Negros, Chocolate Habaneros, Jalapenos, Cowhorns and Long Red Slim Cayennes. All of the peppers, except for the Habaneros, germinated and grew quickly. I only had 1 of 10 Habaneros germinate. Right now, all of the other pepper plants are about 12 inches tall and have been transplanted. The 1 surviving Habanero is only about 3 inches tall. I have heard that Habaneros are finicky and slow-growing, but I must have done something wrong.

I bought the seeds from Pepper Joes, used Miracle Gro Potting Soil and planted the seeds in 4" pots. I used a combination of grow lights and sunlight for 12 hours each day. The room that the seeds were growing in averaged about 75*F. I emailed Pepper Joe's and they sent out a replacement pack of seeds. But, it is too late to start them from seed. So, what do you think I did wrong?

Could be bad seeds, if all the others grew, then the habaneros should have also. It's not too late, they will still produce, just start producing later.

You most likely got some bad seeds. Certainly not worth worrying over. PLant them new ones and enjoy what they produce. Small Habs are just as tasty as mature, big ones.

Normally the smaller the pepper is, the hotter it tends to be. Make some chili oil with them.

Back