Smoking vs Grilling - Terminology

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

This thought just crossed my mind and I figured I'd ask you for your input. What do you consider to be smoking and what do you consider to be grilling? In my mind, when the fire/heat source is kept separate from the meat and only the heated smoky air comes in contact with said meat (as in an offset smoker)...that's "smoking". "Grilling" is when you use coals/fire and either plop down the meat right above it (direct grilling), or slightly away from it (indirect grilling).

The confusion for me is mainly when we talk about indirect grilling. I've heard some folks say that they are smoking when really it seems like indirect grilling to me (for example, putting a rack of ribs on one side of a Weber kettle with the coal bed/wood chunks on the other side of it). But the more I think about it...indirect grilling could technically qualify as smoking, right?? The meat is cooked by heated air/smoke that comes from a heat source NOT directly beneath it.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get. Years of confidently-spoken barbecue terminology hangs in the balance here, and possibly some of my sanity. Please weigh in on this! :biggrin1::laugh:

IMO---
Smoking is anything cooked low and slow. Typically using smoke for flavor.
Grilling is hot and fast.

Something else for you to ponder.... Grilling vs Barbecue-ing!

I don't know if you can use the directly over hot coals as an absolute identifier either.

One example is with a UDS. You are cooking directly over the coals, but I personally consider it smoking if I'm cooking at 250 for long periods of time.

I think the distinction is more about the temperature cooked at more than anything. But, the hot and fast people like to throw a wrench in that too.

My personal definition bases it more on the cooking temperature. To me some of the direct heat pits used in texas or whole hog brick pits are absolutely barbecue same as if it was cooked on an offset. Cooking much hotter than one would do a hot and fast brisket is grilling to me, even if it's in direct grilling. right or wrong that's how I think of it.

300+ direct over coals or wood but temp over direct,my pellet grill will run over 500 without any open fire, typically less than 90 minutes till done, I will grill baby back ribs some times on the Weber and 60 minutes or so are done,smoking 275 or less 3-5 hrs or more. ymmv

Grilled=1 Beer
Smoked=8 Beer

Dang, 16Adams just laid down some profoundly universal truth, y'all. :clap::laugh:

I think you guys all make valid points. It really is more about temp/time than anything else, and sometimes methods overlap.

To me smoking is a method of cooking in which you want to maximize the time the food is in the cooker to collect smoke flavoring on the meat.

Grilling is a method of cooking that is not meant to pick up smoke as a primary "seasoning" on the food, not to say that it does not get a slightly smokey flavor.

Also anything your cooking that ends up with "Grill marks" on the food should be considered grilling :)

cant put labels on it. some of the earliest Q was raised direct heat. for example Carolina style bbq. Alabama is also known for its direct heat bbq.

My Lang has it right on the tel-tru

z203Z60l.jpg

Thank you Adams.

Now I know why I like smoking.

Why isn't there a "beer" emoji?

To me it's grilling happening on a gasser or really hot Kettle. Burgers, steaks, chicks and whatnot. Smoking happens low and slow with wood introduced. Butts, brisket, ribs etc.

Something else for you to ponder.... Grilling vs Barbecue-ing!

I am going to answer your question by agreeing with this. Thermometers for BBQ, that have marked zones, will have SMOKE, BARBEQUE, GRILL zones. This is somewhat a "take it with a grain of salt" idea, because of the 1,003 different opinions you will get from people. I consider any meat you aren't curing with smoke, and not cooking direct over heat, BBQ. But I also say "smoking" when I talk about BBQ sometimes. Grilling to me, means that the heat is 6 to 12 (give or take a few) inches from medium-high to high heat. I also would say if it is indirect, it is BBQ, not grilling. But again, many opinions.

Back