How has your grilling/smoking changed?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I saw a study published that said the price of beef went up 30% last year because of inflation and scarcity. This got me to thinking, has your grilling/smoking changed because of it? The items you purchase, the frequency, or the cookers you use?

For instance, I don't even think much about smoking chuck roasts anymore because it is insane. Brisket and ribs only if they are on sale. Butts, thankfully I had a lot of them in the freezer. Grilling steaks only if on sale and whatever steaks are on sale is what we grill. Anyone else?

Same here when it comes to stuff on sale. I love a good skirt steak but they have more than doubled in price in my area. I will only buy whats on sale. Luckily I have a decent stash of Ribs and Ribeyes in the freezer.

In regards to fuel, I have a MAK and luckily sales on Pellets are still comparable to pre-covid prices. Charcoal I haven't had to buy because I have a big stash from years back.

It sucks when you go to the grocery store and come out with a handful of items and your receipt is easily $100+...

Honest, I was Yellow Tag beef before Yellow Tagging was cool. And now, not even much that. I took advantage of $1.77# Brisket this past week and bought two..crap yesterday Bologna was $7 package. One of the ways to eat really well.and not cost a fortune is Mexican, then Soup Stews and Chili. But I've always done that as well. Beef Cheeks at 20$ can provide about 6 meals for two, at times more. I'm probably cooking beef cheek 5-1 over brisket, perhaps more.

Honestly, I'm not deliberately fighting this food inflation. If I want something bad enough I get it and cook it. But in reality, things have shifted.

As someone who grew up watching Bob Barker, I am keenly aware of prices. The increases in Northern Virginia have been insane. The last time I saw brisket (the groceries don't carry them regularly) a Choice packer was $7.99/lb. I still catch ribs on sale sometimes and have always liked barbequed chicken. My biggest thing is not to waste anything.

Steaks are much less often, always been big on pork anyway. Anything grillable/smokable on sale - so to an extent the big corporations are controlling the weekly menu.

Some of you live in really nice locales, but then I see your food costs and need to cross it off my list of places to retire to.

If I am in the mood for something in particular, I will try to find the best deal that would produce a tasty product. I often just let the sale prices dictate my menu.

It hasn't changed much, but I haven't ventured into some of the more pricey meats I may have (orime rib, etc)

We're the type of people who buy what's on sale anyways, but we'll definitely stock up if things are cheap. 10 years ago I would never have had butts or briskets or ribs in my freezer; I'd just go buy them on demand.

Check the ad's every week. Have 4 spiral hams in the freezer right now that were marked down to $0.99. At my new favorite store (Broward Meats) I can always get some form of sausage for $2.49 or less.

Same here, Marty. My wife and I watch the ads and swoop in when we see a deal. We just got a sweet deal on baby backs today. :-D

Last edited:
I plan my meal prep menus before knowing the sales. I try to stock up when I see a good deal, to make it easier on me and the customers, so I keep a freezer full for that reason. I wasn't doing meal-prep cooking before the world ended, so all of that is new to me.

Back then when I cooked dinner it was usually protein focused, then the sides (so, a steak and potato and salad. A pork chop and veggies, etc). Now it is sometimes the star (Honey Garlic meatballs for today) and sometimes just part of the dish (like a stir fry)

Since I've picked up that business, my cooking has definitely changed. I still enjoy using grilling and smoking as an aspect of my dishes (had smoked chicken thighs in the last soup) but it isn't my only focus. I'm enjoying becoming more well rounded and tackling a wider range of cooking. It's still part of my branding, but like so many of us-it's not the only thing I want to cook.

It hasn't changed much, but I haven't ventured into some of the more pricey meats I may have (orime rib, etc)

We're the type of people who buy what's on sale anyways, but we'll definitely stock up if things are cheap. 10 years ago I would never have had butts or briskets or ribs in my freezer; I'd just go buy them on demand.

Same here 2-3 years ago only thing in my freezer was either left overs or large packs of cuts from sams that I only needed half of. I hate having to freeze large cuts just cause that's the only way to cut cost.
Now if I have a certain craving I just spend the money. Cost me 85 bucks for a prime 3 bone plate couple weeks ago but dang it was good.

We have definitely cut out on the pool parties and outdoor party cooking activities since 2020. Hell we even stopped providing food at the family reunion each year.

Which I love doing!!

Beside that…. My drinking habit has changed…. Local IPA’s was my gig now it’s aloha drinks….

:pound::pound:

Last edited:
I hardly smoke anything anymore. Mostly on special occasions. Sold multiple smokers as a result. Haven't bought ribeye in a while. Eat chuck eye steak regularly, tastes great to me and it's way cheaper than the ribeyes I used to buy.

Definitely cut back, buying smaller amounts. Steaks on special occasions, but we started to eat less red meat a few years ago, mostly due to all the red meat we ate prior to that.
If we want roasted chicken, the Costco bird is hard to beat, both with money and convenience.

My biggest change is more effort to not waste food. Not always successful, but we are doing our best to not over order at restaurants and to not make too much for dinner or when we have parties.

I was really proud that I cooked super bowl for 35 people, everyone ate really well and there was very little leftovers.

It sucks when you go to the grocery store and come out with a handful of items and your receipt is easily $100+...

I remember a newspaper comic long ago (For Better Or Worse, I think) where a lady was looking at her grocery bag and says, "I remember when $5 worth would peek over the top of the bag."

Now it's $50

I guess I count myself lucky in that my cousin raises hogs and we buy a half hog from her a couple times a year, and her friend raises cattle that my parents and I split a whole beef once or twice a year and their prices haven't gone up too much. They have gone up, just not as much as the retail stuff.

I was astounded the other day when I needed a couple chicken breasts and a package of just 2 breasts was over $10. Granted they were big breasts (hehe) but still the price was insane.

Anyway, similar to JAKs Q & brew we make an effort not to waste food as much. Eat more left overs instead of letting them die a slow, forgotten death in the fridge. Put more emphasis on non-meat meals and sides. etc

I've always prided myself on being a great bargain hunter when it comes to groceries.

I know prices, and I know how to check sale circulars on-line for all my stores on Wednesday and I know where to look for yellow tag.

Haven't changed much in that respect since covid/inflation hit. Don't find good cuts of steak at a decent price as often, but still hitting chicken and pork as always.

Just picked up racks of St. Louis for $2.29 at Aldi last week and Friday and Saturday Save-a-lot has wings for $1.49 this week. $5 Sam's rotisserie chickens are huge for the cost.

See what I mean? I'm doing it again. :shock:

I don't smoke as often, but once a year I do BBQ for my family most of whom that's the only time I see them so I splurge and get the right meat regardless.

Back