Butterflied Chicken Drumsticks

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I've been getting in to lollipop drumsticks for a couple of years, but decided to revisit butterflying them. This is a decent lower price option to grilling wings, the prep is easy compared to lollipops, and dark meat likes higher internal temps. You follow the bone for the first cut, then cut to each side. When you see tendons, cut them out.

k4VPd4h.jpg

I did a brine, followed by a marinade in Italian dressing. The rub is a Canadian chicken (like Montreal, but for chicken) and black pepper. Grilling was indirect, turning a few times... then finishing direct for the final crisp-up.

1LlwHhA.jpg

0d3dEtx.jpg

F0EPxNM.jpg

0IqwJ3F.jpg

wLnTKxg.jpg

Got 40# of those things, 10# bags for $6.95, I love em, but this looks like a good change of pace...

Oooo! I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks :hail:

And this is why I still come here daily for couple decades or so.

Thanks ThirdEye.

I recall buying a case (12) pack of leg holders and sending them out with my sauce trades back when it was a spreadsheet I ran long before NCGrimbo saved the day with technology.

I was forever farking around to this day with toothpicking the skirts of the damn sticks to keep them in place.

Why did I never think about a butterfly drumstick?

Pure genius. Thank you

Now that I'm over the intra-thread De Ja Vue, why brine and marinade? I've done both, just not together. And, what sort of brine goes well with drumsticks?

Outstanding Wayne. Great idea. That would not last long here. How long did you marinade them in the Italian Salad Dressing. I brine my thighs all the time. Never thought oif a marinade too

And this is why I still come here daily for couple decades or so.

Thanks ThirdEye.

I recall buying a case (12) pack of leg holders and sending them out with my sauce trades back when it was a spreadsheet I ran long before NCGrimbo saved the day with technology.

I was forever farking around to this day with toothpicking the skirts of the damn sticks to keep them in place.

Why did I never think about a butterfly drumstick?

Pure genius. Thank you

Hey Bill, try wrapping the knuckle in tin foil and that will lock the legs in place better.

DV8BMgR.jpg

Now that I'm over the intra-thread De Ja Vue, why brine and marinade? I've done both, just not together. And, what sort of brine goes well with drumsticks?

Chicken brines can be as simple was salt + water (start with 1 gram of salt per 1-ounce of water) or mix up some broth from bullion to taste (meaning a little salty only). And you can inject brines and they work faster. See the link to Old Dave's site below for a great poultry injectable brine.

I do like using commercial brines, but I use much less that the recommendations for BBQ competition. Kosmos Chicken Soak and LC Fowl Play are two favorites, but there are several that I have not tried.

Outstanding Wayne. Great idea. That would not last long here. How long did you marinade them in the Italian Salad Dressing. I brine my thighs all the time. Never thought oif a marinade too

I brine them for around 4-hours, then marinate for another 3 or 4 hours. Old Dave has a technique for an injectable brine, then a marinade at the same time. Here is a link to check out.

https://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search?q=brine

Oh Fark Yeah! Marinated in some Chiavettas! I'ma getting ready to get down! thanks man!

Back