Wild caught sockeye salmon -where to purchase

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I make smoked salmon dip every year and give away as Christmas presents. It's fantastic but kind of pricey. I had been purchasing from Zacon fresh but they are out of business now (with $160 of my money :mmph:)

Any recommendations on where to purchase economically? Plan to head to Kroger and Costco this weekend to compare prices. Need around 10 lbs

Last edited:
I’ve been exceptionally pleased with this company
https://www.fishex.com/
They are not cheap, but have only wild caught Alaskan Salmon....

Last edited:
We get ours from Costco or Whole Foods. Really not much difference in price these days, (about $11/lb at both places here in StL) but I prefer to get it from WF because it's MSC certified there (which it isn't anymore at Costco)

I cold smoke and can salmon about once a year for use during the rest of the year. I catch it on sale, and have my kroger store order a case. They are fairly reasonable and it takes one to two days to get the order.

I have a freezer full from this summer... but I'm in KC. So this information in no way helps you! But you did get me looking up recipes for smoked salmon dip!! I haven't tried cold smoking it yet!!!

Farm raised has more fat than sockeye I believe it does better with smoke and it is also cheaper

George please compare Wild caught Alaskan to farm raised side by side and get back to me :thumb:

There is a reason it’s cheaper.......

Farm raised has more fat than sockeye I believe it does better with smoke and it is also cheaper

Yes, farmed salmon is higher in fat (about double), higher in saturated fat (about 3 times), and higher in omega-3 and much higher in omeag-6 than wild caught. I too believe it works better if you are talking about curing and smoking because the curing process and 5 or 6 hours of smoking draws liquid out of the flesh, so the additional fat in farmed salmon makes for a moister end product.

Now for grilling, I prefer the wild caught but it can run $4 to $5 a pound higher in my markets. Fortunately, I have access to several species of trout, which are well managed, in clear water lakes and streams.... but when you do the math (and factor in gasoline, beer, a shore lunch etc., it's probably $15 a pound. :twitch:

M6l9ySk.jpg

Shoot! In my neck of the woods they only cost a fishing license!

Now for grilling, I prefer the wild caught but it can run $4 to $5 a pound higher in my markets. Fortunately, I have access to several species of trout, which are well managed, in clear water lakes and streams.... but when you do the math (and factor in gasoline, beer, a shore lunch etc., it's probably $15 a pound. :twitch:

M6l9ySk.jpg
[/QUOTE]

@thirdeye Can't beat the fun factor element! $15 a pound sounds worth it to me!

Last edited:
If you go to Whole Foods and speak to the seafood manager, they will order anything you want. I had them order Monkfish for a paella I was making.

They aren't cheap, but their prices are not unreasonable.

David

Shoot! In my neck of the woods they only cost a fishing license!

@thirdeye Can't beat the fun factor element! $15 a pound sounds worth it to me!

Oh, the fun factor outweighs the cost by a long shot. And at least with fishing (especially fly fishing) it's enjoyable to have the option to keep or release your catch.... it's hard to un-do shooting an elk. :biggrin1:

I agree wild caught is really good for grilling I was talking about smoking with farm raised

Talk to the seafood manager at HEB. They are very accommodating with special orders.

Pretty sure costco has it this time of year

Thank you to all for the input. Interesting discussion on the difference between wild and farm raised. I’ve always used wild so don’t want to experiment now when I’m making so much. Looked back on my notes and tallied up how many jars of dip I need this year. Three good sized fillets should be enough.

Kroger was $8.99 and Costco $9.99. Since I was there, they had good shelf life date and nice selection so I could get pretty close to even size I went with Costco.

I’ll be brinning this week and smoking this weekend. Will do a little write up how I like to do it if anyone’s interested.

Th again for all the feedback!

Attachments

• F58D8A90-C8B8-4F0F-95EF-1A3916AEECE6.jpg
    F58D8A90-C8B8-4F0F-95EF-1A3916AEECE6.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 44
I'd be very interested in your Smoked Salmon Dip recipe and do you suppose canned salmon would work?

I've canned fish for 35 years and just this year I finally got around to following Cowgirl's recipe for canning cold smoked salmon, the finished product is outstanding and I have a bunch of it.

43wic0k.jpg

Would love to see you do a write up on how you smoke it and make the dip. I went to Alaska with my brother, best friend and cousins for my 40th this July. We had smoked salmon dip while we were there and it’s really good. I brought back 150 pounds of Salmon, halibut and rock fish. I need a smoking recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back