THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
So I've had requests for smoked salmon for Christmas presents. I can get my fish monger to get me wild caught saukeue salmon and I can mill cedar planks. My thought is to cook the salmon on the planks, I dress them with Teriyaki glaze and vacuum pack for gifts. I've done this 1-2 at a time on the weber at 275* with great success (therefore the requests) but his cook will be 12-15 filets on one of my vertical smokers. So, my questions:

Assuming 275*-300*, how long should I smoke?

Would y'all suggest a brine before cooking?

If your planking, smoke them until done aka flaky. Your temp is good as long as you get a little coal glow on the bottom of the plank.

14k89p2.jpg

107ryxc.jpg

1z52jh4.jpg

Good luck Brother!

How do you re-heat them after vac seal on a plank? I cook my salmon steaks to an internal of 138 and pull to eat. By the time I get a fork in them, they are about 140 and firm to the touch. Not under done, or over done and dry. One of the reasons I try not to order salmon when dining out is that they usually overcook them and they are dry and tasteless. We eat salmon steaks around here about once or twice a week. I cook them in the oven @ 400* until they are 137 and pull and eat. I cook them in a glass dish sitting on slices of lemon to hold them off the bottom of the glass. Season with Tony Chacheries. Takes about 25 minutes once in the oven.

Blessings,

Omar

Even after you cook them they have a short life span (a couple days if refrigerated). The only way to extend that time is to cure them before cooking in salt or a preservative (Sodium Nitrite mixture). I'd be a little careful giving them out as gifts unless they are local and they will be re-heated soon. Don't want to kill the family and friends ( my assumption) :)

I smoke whole fillets for the wife ( no planks). I marinate in teriyaki, some rosemary on top and then smoke around 250-275. Usually around an hour, but since every fillet is different I do not go by set time. She saves some to just eat, the rest gets made in to dips, salad etc.

I'm with Marty on this one. I'd think you'd want to cure and then warm (or cold) smoke them. I'm not exactly sure what you'd do with what you'd describe, other than eat it for dinner, which would be very yummy, but waiting around to give them for gifts seems a bit strange to me. Would you consider grilling steaks, then vacuum pack them and give them for gifts? I put uncured salmon in the same category as a grilled steak. Maybe it's just me.

I would brine for sure

I use:
1 lb non iodized salt
4 gallons water
2 lbs brown sugar
1-2 tbl spoon garlic powder
1-2 tbl spoon onion powder
1 can OJ concentrate

Brine over night
Rinse
set on racks
add a coating of beown sugar and /or anything else you want - I use course black pepper with the brown sugar or a pepper jelly

I smoke at low temps starting at 150° and ramping up about 25° degrees per hour until the 225° range. Smoke is usually 6-8 hours and varies depending on size of fish and temps.

There are many on here if you just search for smoked salmon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201415&highlight=Smoked+Salmon

Good luck

Thanks everybody, especially the brine advice (i've not done that before). These are for ex-coworkers. I retired a few years ago but have stayed pretty close to these folks; everybody will know in advance they are coming and can plan accordingly.

My "plan" is:
Day 1 - pick up the fresh filets & get in a brine overnight
Day 2 - plank & glaze with teriyaki, smoke @ 225*, vacuum & chill
Day 3 - personally deliver (.

When I've done this in the past it has either been down the hatch when it comes off the cooker or taken to a same day/next day party. As far as warming/reheating I've had pretty good luck with removing from the vacuum bag, tenting with foil and putting the plank & salmon in a 250* oven.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I've actually made Gravlax (just a salt and dill cure for 3 days) -
it's ready to eat then, but I smoked some and it was really good. Use as a dip of sorts with triscuit or other cracker.

There are many ways to get it done. I don't care for lemon on fish but many do. When cooking on a plank or just on the grill to eat right away, I use just Montreal Steak seasoning. Skin side down directly on the grill is my favorite - don't flip, just cook until cooked but moist.

Good luck - your co-workers are lucky to have you do this for them!

Thanks everybody, especially the brine advice (i've not done that before). These are for ex-coworkers. I retired a few years ago but have stayed pretty close to these folks; everybody will know in advance they are coming and can plan accordingly.

My "plan" is:
Day 1 - pick up the fresh filets & get in a brine overnight
Day 2 - plank & glaze with teriyaki, smoke @ 225*, vacuum & chill
Day 3 - personally deliver (.

When I've done this in the past it has either been down the hatch when it comes off the cooker or taken to a same day/next day party. As far as warming/reheating I've had pretty good luck with removing from the vacuum bag, tenting with foil and putting the plank & salmon in a 250* oven.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

OK, now that's a plan! I'm much happier to see these cured. There are lots of recipes in these pages. Thirdeye does some great ones. I've tried to simplify with an idiot's guide. The curing process takes me an additional 10 minutes or so. It's not a biggie. I also try to smoke lower, ~150-170*ish, but I've read where others go as high as 250*. Here's one I did. I no long wrap these individually, but just put them back in the bag:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119317

OK, now that's a plan! I'm much happier to see these cured. There are lots of recipes in these pages. Thirdeye does some great ones. I've tried to simplify with an idiot's guide. The curing process takes me an additional 10 minutes or so. It's not a biggie. I also try to smoke lower, ~150-170*ish, but I've read where others go as high as 250*. Here's one I did. I no long wrap these individually, but just put them back in the bag:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119317

Looks Great Gorby!

I feel so lucky to be in an area where Salmon does not come in that blue styrofoam package.

We do a killer smoked salmon in brine over night, dry morning of next day open air, then smoke for 2.5 hours at 230. Comes out awesome every time! I will say we have better success with farm raised for the higher fat content than the wild caught.

Back