Any success smoking sale meat, leaner cuts like Top/Bottom Round, Sirloin Tip roasts...?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all,

Ok, still trying to patiently wait the smoker delivery...but drooling and thinking in the mean time.

In the past, I'd done brisket (of course)....an occasional chuck roast and had good results with both.

But quite often, here I see on sale...things like whole sirloin tip roast....Bottom Round or Top Round roasts.....etc.

These cuts in general, don't have a lot of that internal fat marbling, nor the connective tissues that we love to "melt" with the more traditional BBQ cuts of beef.

That being said....knowing the breadth of talent on the forum here, I've gotta guess many here have experimented with these leaner cuts....have you had successes?

If so, could you post here how and what you did ?

I'm quite interested in exploring smoking all sorts of non-traditional meats, but I figured rather than start from scratch, I'd start by standing on the shoulders of giants as they say.

;)

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Any knife work first?

Smoke for 2-3 hours at 225* then toss it into a crockpot………

Are you doing them whole? Say for example a big whole sirloin tip roast....bit and round...

Do you filet it open any first before smoking and then crock potting ?

Thank you!

C

Could also play around with curing/corning to add some flair to what might normally be a more boring cut of meat. Do a corned round, pastrami rub, smoke for deli meat.

Many times I've done top round. I smoke low temperature, 220* for a few hours until IT of roughly 130*. The critical part is to slice thin, then use for roast beef sandwiches.

The critical part is to slice thin, then use for roast beef sandwiches.

That's what I do with beef eye round and boneless pork loin. Thin on the slicer for sammys. Your condiments can make it seem less dry.

I'm doing a thin sliced smoked loin with bacon and grilled onions on a sub roll tonight. Add BBQ sauce to one side of the bread, mayo to the other. Melted provolone optional.

I like to use cheap smoked beef roasts to cube up and make chili or stew. Nobody knows how dry it was that way! Adds a good smoke flavor. You just have to simmer the chunks till tender in your liquid of choice.

I use a covered pot on the stove because it's quicker than a crock pot, but either way works. Add your vegetables towards the last hour or they will be mush. If you're in a rush a bag of frozen mixed veggies will work for the stew with some added onions and taters.

I do rounds and roasts all the time on my WSM's, always off at 132 degrees and use a real knife to slice thin against the grain. No complaint's from Nellie and that is rare.

Back