THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A

AlanTX

Okay folks. I searched and couldn't really find a thread that I was satisfied with so here it goes.

In this weeks local(to me) Kroger ad they have the subject cut of meats on sale for $1.99lb(your choice). I recently acquired a meat grinder(love new kitchen gadgets) and am curious as to which cut you would go with to grind into hamburger meat. I'm somewhat familiar with the bottom round and I know that they are pretty lean, so I'm assuming if that's the cut people prefer then some fat would have to be added to it? Where do you get the fat if you have none?

Not familiar with the sirloin(as a roast)

From my search, chuck seems to be popular to grind. I've even seen people grinding ribeyes too :shock:.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I grind Sirloin Tip Roast for burger a lot, but it is also lean and could use some extra fat. I usually grind it along with chuck and even pork butt too, but if you want just beef then a fattier piece of meat like chuck or even brisket will help. Don't be afraid to grind up some bacon in there too if you are up for that to get the extra fat.

Honestly, I also grind up just the Sirloin roast by itself and save some of that. The fam here doesn't mind lean burgers once in a while and tend to like the flavor of the Sirloin. It's all personal preference. You need to figure out what YOU like best, so don't be afraid to try all of the above, plus every combination you can imagine.

Thanks.

I did a beef shoulder roast last weekend, but that seemed like PITA to prepare for the grinder. Maybe I'll get one of each since their limit is 2 w/$10 additional purchase.

depends on the burger for me... if i want to do thin burgers and stack them with cheese ill do sirloin, if i want a one patty monster more then not ill use chuck.

Back