Chili Colorado- pretty dang close-MSU..

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
...to a degree. Trimmed stems and removed seeds. These chilies were soft and pliable and the aroma reminded me of beech nut chewing tobacco. An earthy semi sweet..... kind of mesmerizing actually. Brought to boil with garlic oregano and cumin- reduced heat and simmered 30 minutes or so. Put peppers and half the water on smoothies mode in the Ninja- twice. Then poured this thru small screen colander to catch any skin (glad I did this step. Only saw on one recipe to do this and it caught quite a bit). Back into the pot and added 1/2# brisket point, 1/4# smoked chuck, 1/3# ground chuck and 1/4# Breakfast Sausage. I also added 4oz of tomato sauce. Simmered for one hour and served with Fritos. The mix flavors and textures were spot on.

I’ll do this again

Last edited:
Adams, do you puree the steeped chile's? I do for my chili, and it never seems to puree enough. Always find some little chunks of chile pepper in my chili...

Id hi that hard. Those pods are also kind sticky to the touch. I don't know how they dry all,those red chile pods, but they are pliable and kindly sticky, but they give deep color and flavor.

I purée the hell out of my concentrates, the use a food mill to strain out. But, for a good pork asado, I like the more rustic blend.

Bob

Adams, do you puree the steeped chile's? I do for my chili, and it never seems to puree enough. Always find some little chunks of chile pepper in my chili...

Yes sir. Took peppers and half the liquid ran it in Ninja Smoothie-twice. Then poured that through a fine mesh colander. Caught quite a bit if not 100% of skin. This was my first time cooking this. I read quite a few recipes and the comments. In the comments of one of the recipes it mentioned regardless of how much you boil simmer or process there will be skin- strain it. I’m glad I did. I got a green chile piece caught on a tonsil one time, and thought- this is it- this is how I die- throat slit by pepper skin. Three days I finally gargled Listerene a long time and managed to fetch the bast!!d with a tooth brush.

Last edited:
Id hi that hard. Those pods are also kind sticky to the touch. I don't know how they dry all,those red chile pods, but they are pliable and kindly sticky, but they give deep color and flavor.

I purée the hell out of my concentrates, the use a food mill to strain out. But, for a good pork asado, I like the more rustic blend. I’ve never seen such a bold yet mild Chile flavor.

Bob

I’m learning always learning. I was thinking those on sale boneless CSR’s or on sale loins will be grand.

Most recipes say use cubed pork & serve with beans rice tortillas.

This really is good and the house smells amazing. Which is good since the wind chill is 12*

Last edited:
I’m learning always learning. I was thinking those on sale boneless CSR’s or on sale loins will be grand.

Most recipes say serve with beans rice tortillas.

This really is good and the house smells amazing. Which is good since the wind chill is 12*

CSR's are perfect. They have just enough fat on em. If you can eat taters, add some to the Colorado. Or, you do other veggies. I like turnips, carrots and celery. Not authentic Colorado veggies, but I go with what I like. Goes good over rice or pasta too. Specially egg noodles.

Bob

Purple Potatoes and Red Lentils pasta are on my list. Hell Yea. Thanks!

Oh yeah, some lentils will rock it. Quinoa and couscous come to mind too.

With the the pods, just pull the stem out. It will usually pull out all the seeds too.

We got the 2 cold fronts coming in too. Day off today so made a roasted chicken. Tons of roasted veggies, and some butter curry rice. Wife got home and between her and my daughter, tossed a German chocolate cake in the oven since it was already heated up!

Bob

What exactly makes it Colorado? Im going to take a wild guess and assume you live in Colorado. That said, it looks like Texas red with a bunch of stuff piled on the plate? Or is that a bowl? Looks like a plate to me. Never thought i could ask for a plate of chili...

There’s another recipe in post #2

Hope this helps you to understand the dish

Chili Colorado is a little over my pay grade but I like “plain ole” chili a lot. Had some red top for lunch today. So good. Bet yours would be great alone or in red top either . Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

here is an article/recipe that cooks illustrated did for carne adavado. in the upper left hand corner of the second page, they talk specifically about how to blend the dried chiles into a puree with out having bits of skin in it.

I have made this recipe twice and I must say that it was raved about, even by people that claim they cant/hate spice level.

I am guessing that you could make the puree and add it to some sort of stock for thinning, as well as use the left over soaking liquid.

Attachments

• carne adovada.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Back