Bob Brisket Inspired Salsa Rojo

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
So my MKT has shown to be so adaptive it is hard to pin it down to a concept. Well duh... it was designed to feed hundreds of soldiers.

02.jpg04.jpg12.jpg
MY MKT-85

The overall goal is to find a good mid-point where there I can branch in to several TYPES of food with the maximum amount of cross-utilization. One thing I did not like so much about selling JUST BBQ was that you basically slaved away for 18 hours THEN, exhausted... you sold it. I also lost business when people identified you with great BBQ but had in mind something else - because here - everybody does BBQ. LOL In addition, I teach and am likely working during the week. So cooking up mounds of BBQ is not really conducive to that career. The solution is smaller amounts of BBQ meats produced to exist an already diverse flat top menu. Recent events have proven this to be quite profitable and hassle free.

I have done Steak Dinners, Kabobs, Breakfast, Tacos, Po Boys etc.

I am settling on a rather eclectic concept. Before my father died he talked about a fad in food Galveston County had for a while due to its high Latino and Italian Community. I-Mex Food. A fusion of Italian and Mexican.

Then there was Tex-Mex if course and in the late 1970s, born was the fajita craze.

My concept will be four basic menus. 1) Burgers and Dogs (of the Mexican Variety - meaning the condiments make it more ethnic), 2)Tacos, 3)Po-Boys and some 4) Italian Meats, sauces, Peppers and Onions for instance. You will notice the condiments Bob and I have been discussion on Mexican Hot Dog Carts will lend itself to all these types of fare.

This week I began work on my red salsa - Salsa Rojo. I love the texture of fresh salsa but also the taste of roasted vegatables. My method was changed to reflect how I typically would make the roasted portion - in an electric roaster and not an oven or stove top. I would need to make a lot.

Many of you will know that I have that huge griddle and question, "why not just blister the veggies on that?" The reason is typically that salsa needs to sit a bit for all those flavors to meld. I also wanted a method in which I could dump the veggies somewhere out of the way and cook them. The foil pan idea cuts down DRASTICALLY on the mess.

Ohhhhhhh.... I forgot, before I start, everyone wants to hear about a terrible mess up and fail, right? I bought a $300 Juicer from GoodWill for $29. I have discovered two really good applications for it. One is lemonade, peels and all, extraction. MMM Good!. The other is frozen sorbets. This thing poops out great sorbets from frozen (even packaged) fruits. However.... do not extract LIMES this way. EXTREMELY BITTER AND RUINED MY FIRST BATCH OF SALSA.

13529034_10210054415185823_8860830760557205190_n.jpg
DO NOT USE THIS... JUST SQUEEZE THE LIMES. lol

image.jpg

HOT LATINA GIRL - speaking of squeeze

The first problem I encountered the day before was that the collections of fluids from the vegetables inhibited roasting. So I devised a way to drain away the juice (which I wanted to reserve). I simply poked holes in one pan, set it on another with some ramekins in between. The top pan was oiled to prevent sticking.

13521891_10210062428786158_8256804690328990794_n.jpg
HOLES

13439184_10210062428826159_8153851009503151310_n.jpg
SET UP

13533036_10210062428866160_1804254266029125698_n.jpg
TEMP WIDE OPEN

I roasted a partial amount of veggies. One half purple onion, one full yellow onion, two full garlic pods, three red peppers. I punched holes in one foil pan to drain into the other as it went. I did not have much liquid as it mostly was contained in the tomato skins. I cooked at 425-450 in the electric roaster and probably could have cooked longer. I did not discard the skins of anything (just the stems of the peppers) this time.

13557658_10210062438946412_1209600976494341066_n.jpg
IN THE ROASTER

Left uncooked was the other half of the purple onion, about a half a pod of garlic, and one pepper and three plums. This was chopped in the food processor into a slurry.

Two bunches of cilantro were used with about one cup of (wash)water and the juice of 2 lbs of limes. I used 6. I also added a can of roasted tomatoes. I know that seems redundant but I had it and the recipe needed more tomato so I bought it in case I needed to adjust. I have heard SOME places simply used canned roasted tomato and fresh roasted peppers in their process. LOL Salt was added here as well and blended.

164_61-beautifu-and-hot-fitness-girls2037724681_zpsb5379fa6.jpg

I dream of a salsa so good, neighbors send me their selfies as a way of thanking me.

13532971_10210063669977187_7830126675959021122_n.jpg

HALF WAY POINT

It cooked the veggies about two hours. It got more carmelized than this. This was blended.

What I did not show is my chili process.

This time I seeded and de-stemmed Anchos and Cascabel with Arbol for heat. I used .33 pounds of Ancho, .09 of the Cascabel and maybe 5 of the Arbol (could have used more for my heat taste but I chose not to, The process was to de-seed all, de-stem, fry in oil THEN I sat them in a can of beef broth with four other bouillon cube; so basically I think that would be six cubes if I did not use the broth. I added just enough water to cover, simmered for 20 minutes and let sit an hour. This was blended. Salt was added.

Finally all was blended with the immersion blender. Had I brought my deep tub I would have used it for all of this.

The taste is deep and robust as its color. I could drink it. The lime juice does freshen it up as does the part fresh ingredients. I can’t wait to taste this in a day.

13537753_10210063669937186_4316348125351807090_n.jpg
FINISHED PRODUCT - RICH - I COULD DRINK IT

The boys and I tasted this and then went to the pool. We all still had that delicious residual of garlic on our minds. LOL I-Mex for sure.

1389883_1550705845143649_247735038_n.jpg

I am open to your comments - especially those who know their chilies. LOL I don't. I like my salsa a bit thin.... with a combination of fresh and roasted... the taste... beefy background and I think the chilies I chose and beef stock did that. The lift I like was from the lime juice but I have heard some use vinegar. A lot of joints in this part of Texas use a hybrid of canned tomatoes and roasted or sauteed peppers and onions. Canned veggies already have vinegar in them for preserving. This may be why gringos like it so much, LOL. My salsa was designed to augment my tacos - NOT for chips.

Bob Brisket... what do you think?

Probably a good post but waiting for the Reader's Digest version to come out.

Salsa? Oh yeah. Sounds great. :shocked:

Donnie,

I think you are off to a great start! Some taquerias use chicken bullion, though never heard of using beef. You might try that instead next time, and see how it goes. What you've created sounds like a solid base, but it could be fun to experiment a bit by adding certain ingredients in small amounts like cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano etc. I think frying the chiles vs toasting them is a good idea, as with toasting it's just way too easy to burn the chiles, which results in a bitter taste. Last, think about adding a few (not too many!) chipotles in adobo for a subtle smoky flavor.

OH yeah, there is a salsa recipe in there! I was admiring the selfies your neighbors sent to you. Seems you live in a very quaint neighborhood! LoL!

I'm liking the sounds of the salsa, Donnie. As Moose stated, some cumin would add extra earthy tone. With the next batch or two, try less lime. Like 1 only for the batch. When the other ingredients can shine through with out trying to get past the lime, it will give an even beefier flavor.

My mom's secret ingredient is......beer! She puts some in all the time. That adds a little something too.

What if you just put the veggies in the roaster pan itself? That would maybe give more char but it would be a PITA to then clean up the roaster pan.

Looking good so far, T. I'm digging the menu line up too.

Thank you Moose and Bob. I did add Cumin, I added oregano (not mexican), pepper and salt. Forgot the curry this time.

The lime I really cannot tell... but it will interesting to add it gradually maybe after everything is mixed. Intersting about the beer. I was amazed at one point making a sauce one time that came alive with JUST water. I think Beer is a great idea... a lot better than egg nog. I am glad you wrote me.

I think I will use the chicken stock next time. The veggies were a lot more roasted... i just didn't take a pic.

Lmao. Better than egg nog for sure.

You gotta check out a Mexican Supermarket, Donnie. The stuff they sell in bulk is really nice.

See if Fiesta brand sells Chlitepin peppers. Little rounds peppers......they pack a whole nother flavor on their own.

I'm still admiring the Victoria's Secret Salsa Red Combo. My. My.

Last edited:
What was the question again.... I seem to have lost track!

Back