Chuck Roast Chili Tutorial

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
We've had three cold, wet days in my neighborhood, so when my local Kroger put Chuck Roasts on sale this week, I had to make a huge batch of Chili for Football today. My method is time consuming, but much of the work can be completed in advance. I smoked and diced my Chuck Roasts two days before I assembled the rest of my Chili. Same thing with grinding peppers and spices, easy to do in advance.

Pantry Staples
Chuck Chili Ingredients by David Miller, on Flickr

I like to make my own Chili Powder when I have time. Get a pair of scissors, cut the tops off of Chili pods, then cut down the sides removing the seeds and stems. Toast in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 45 seconds being careful not to burn. Chop them in smaller pieces and grind to a powder in a coffee grinder. (I keep an old grinder just for spices). I also toast cumin seeds in a skillet until fragrant and grind that as well. Absolutely no comparison between freshly toasted and ground spices to pre-packaged spices.

Spices
Chuck Chili Peppers by David Miller, on Flickr
Chuck Cumin Seed Toasting by David Miller, on Flickr

Chuckies - Two, 4.5 pound Chuck Roasts patted down with Black Op's because I love Black Op's, and I have a huge bag of it in the pantry. Don't be afraid to ask your grocery store butcher to cut you a big ole Chuck Roast if they only have small ones on display.

Chuck Seasoned by David Miller, on Flickr

Here they are after six hours of smoke in my FEC-100 (4 hours at 180 degrees and 2 hours at 225 degrees with 50/50 blend Hickory/Cherry). I'm not trying to cook 100% here. At this stage they are still nice and juicy with a good layer of smoke, but firm enough to slice and dice with ease. (Especially now that we all have Ken Onion Edition super sharp knives)

Chuck Sliced
Chuck Sliced by David Miller, on Flickr

Chuck Diced
Chuck Diced by David Miller, on Flickr

So nine pounds of Smoked Chuck was just not enough, and because I like to have a variety of meat textures in my Chili I cooked off six additional pounds of ground Chuck, browning them in batches in a large pot with hot oil. I also put a second sear on my previously cooked, smoked & diced chuck to get more color on the chunks and start introducing spices for flavor. I add Chili Powder, Cumin, Mexican Oregano, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper with ever batch of meat I'm browning in oil. I can't stress enough the importance of adding enough seasonings with a big batch. This one had 15 pounds of meat alone so imagine the amount of salt you would use. I transfer the browned meat with a slotted spoon to my larger stockpot filled with liquid (Beef Stock, water, beer, or whatever you want to use).

Ground Beef Browning
Chuck Ground Beef by David Miller, on flickr

Now after all of this browning of meat in the big pot you have what the French refer to as a Fond. Basically all the caramelized juices and meat bits that are left behind, so crank up the heat on that baby and add a little more oil with a ton of diced onions to soak up all of that wonderful flavor left in the pan. Also add another layer of salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, Mexican Oregano to your onions and stir. Cook until the onions start getting translucent and add minced garlic and jalapenos. If you like Bell peppers or other veggies in your chili add those now and cook over medium heat until they start breaking down. You are developing layers of flavor here so please don't add raw vegetables to Chili to boil in the pot.

Veggies Caramelizing
Chuck Veggies by David Miller, on Flickr

Last step here is to add your tomato products. I like tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and a little tomato paste in my chili. If you cook this out for ten or fifteen minutes with your veggies it will greatly reduce the acidity levels and increase the sweetness of your canned tomato products. Much nicer then adding it to your pot without cooking.

Adding Tomatoes
Chuck Tomatoes by David Miller, on Flickr

Time to combine your vegetables with meat and liquid and get to simmering. I like to cook it for a least two hours before thickening to taste. It's really important to keep tasting and adjusting for seasoning as you cook. As I mentioned before, a huge batch like this requires a lot of seasoning, and the taste will change as you cook. In competition I always add another pinch of seasoning right before turn in. Same principle here.

Once your beef is tender and you like the way it tastes, I like to thicken with Masa Harina, which is a fine ground corn flour used to make Tamales. Mix Masa Harina in a separate bowl with hot water until it looks like a thick paste, then whisk this paste into your Chili. It takes patience and a few minutes to thicken up, so look and don't just keep adding paste until you see how thick it gets. Oh, and guess what? Add some more seasoning! The Masa Harina adds a subtle sweetness that I like a lot, and really complements cornbread or tortilla chips for garnish.

Thickened Chili Ready to Roll
Chuck Chili Simmered by David Miller, on Flickr

Garnish Options
Chuck Chili Garnish by David Miller, on Flickr

I personally like to start my bowl with a small bed of Fritos, topped with a generous ladle of Chili, Grated Sharp Cheddar, Sliced Jalapenos, Diced Onions, and a Dollop of Sour Cream.

Smoked Chuck Roast Chili
Chuck Chili Plated by David Miller, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed!!!

Great post. My only addition to this excellent contribution to the site is that, rather than toasting and grinding the peppers as you show at the beginning, my process is to make a red chili sauce in advance (toasted peppers rehydrated in chicken stock and blended with toasted cumin, onion, garlic, mexican oregano) which I add at the veggie stage in your recipe. I keep quarts of it on-hand in the freezer so I can cut that step from the overall chili prep.

Looks great! I did a pot of chili with leftover brisket yesterday. I added a small handful (maybe 1/3 cup or so) of dark chocolate chips and really liked how it rounded out the flavor profile. First time I'd tried that but will definitely be doing it again

Looks great! I did a pot of chili with leftover brisket yesterday. I added a small handful (maybe 1/3 cup or so) of dark chocolate chips and really liked how it rounded out the flavor profile. First time I'd tried that but will definitely be doing it again

I'm with you on that one. I normally use cocoa powder, but I am sure the dark chocolate works the same way. Chocolate and chiles just work together.

I am also one for toasting, and blending the peppers into a paste. Just seems easier than grinding. But either way works.

Fantastic looking bowl of Chili! As cold as it is hear, I wouldn't mind eating a bowl of that for breakfast.

Back