Pics: Chili Colorado

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
So I made a batch of Chili Colorado sauce, well it needs something to go into it, What's better than beef?

Cut a chuck roast in half and grilled it up on the Big joe.

35637397375_1d63dca911_o.jpg

Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch chunks.

35637396655_794bcfdcae_o.jpg

Into the pot with about 5 cups of the sauce. Heat to boiling, then turn down to a slow simmer and let it go for a few hours.

35506995711_bd447202c3_o.jpg

Needed some extra heat, so I added a couple hot hatch peppers. Some bourbon, just because... Extra onions, I like my chili chunky and a square of Baker's unsweetened chocolate. Adds that somethin' somethin' to the background. Try it.

After a few hours, it's done. How do you know when your chili is done? When a spoon can stand up by itself in the pot.

35637394275_a40f72fa17_o.jpg

Little extra raw onion, some jalapeno & an extra squeeze of lime.

35637393675_d18a8c21c0_o.jpg

Pretty good, can't taste the tomatoes that were in the sauce, just a good chile flavor. All in all, a pretty good bowl of red, although I still prefer my usual chili recipe.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
That looks really good I am really jealous as I had to throw out everything in my freezer including 3 bags of chili

Looks awesome, Andy! I've been looking for a good chili colorado recipe, will give your sauce a try. As an aside, one of my favorite go-to burritos is filled with Chili Colorado and cheese.

I'd hit that! Texas style chili and Chile Colorado are different animals. I'm a bigger fan of chile concentrates like yours vs chili powders.
When you toasted the pods, did you add some oil to the pan? If not, try some next time. Quick process and it adds lots of depth to the sauce. Pour the oil in too. Glad to see you used the water that the peppers steeped in! That is where all the flavor is.

If you like potatoes, add some cubed next time. Colorado con papas. So good. We would then add some pinto beans as well.

Bob

I'd hit that! Texas style chili and Chile Colorado are different animals. I'm a bigger fan of chile concentrates like yours vs chili powders.
When you toasted the pods, did you add some oil to the pan? If not, try some next time. Quick process and it adds lots of depth to the sauce. Pour the oil in too. Glad to see you used the water that the peppers steeped in! That is where all the flavor is.
Yep, the flavor of this sauce is closer to an enchilada sauce. Surprised the recipe was so close to the Texas red recipe on Serious Eats. I usually make my chili with fresh chiles, first time using dried pods. I've made a few salsas where I've toasted them in oil, totally forgot about doing that.

Looks great Andy. A couple years back, I came across a recipe for making chili using the dried peppers instead of a lot of ground spices. Never went back. Much better flavor...

Looks great Andy. A couple years back, I came across a recipe for making chili using the dried peppers instead of a lot of ground spices. Never went back. Much better flavor...

Try using fresh peppers, even better! I usually add 8-10 fresh peppers to my chili. Mixture of mild, medium & hot varieties, always different, depends on what I can find at the store.

Back