The Official Worksharp Ken Onion Appreciation Thread

Been watching Doug's youtubes. Awesome. Can't wait!

Doug who?
I have one and used it a few times. I need to get it back off the shelf and teach myself to sharpen my knives better. :mrgreen:

I cheaped out and purchased the basic Work Sharp, I'm good though it does what I need it to do.

I cheaped out and purchased the basic Work Sharp, I'm good though it does what I need it to do.

Same here and been using it a lot since I've gotten it. I'm not fancy and it does all I need to do. Very happy with it.

That onion sale price is pretty sweet from the regular price.

Watching videos and have chosen my first knife
Bear 440 steel-Solingen

Last edited:
Same here and been using it a lot since I've gotten it. I'm not fancy and it does all I need to do. Very happy with it.

That onion sale price is pretty sweet from the regular price.

I was leaning that way as well, but I read a bit about re-profiling my kitchen knives to different angles than they came with, or that the regular Worksharp will do. That was a big point for me. Glad the sale came along.

Well I finally got around to using this. Damn! If you don't have one of these, you just think you have a sharp knife. Haven't tried the blade grinding attachment yet, but I think I will like it better for longer knives.

For those saying they aren't getting a burr, don't be afraid to go up the coarsest belt. About 3 passes and you will get a good burr. I would start with the 2nd coarsest, and if you don't get a burr with 8 passes, go to the coarse. You don't want to take off any more metal than you have to, but good steel, might need the coarser belt.

This is easily the best thing you guys convinced me I needed.
Thanks!!

If you don't have one of these, you just think you have a sharp knife.

For those saying they aren't getting a burr, don't be afraid to go up the coarsest belt.

Yep, exactly what I found out. The big Big BIG key is getting the burr. I didn't get that when I first started using it and I thought I had got the knife sharp. Well, after reading here (and videos and reading (!) the instructions) I saw how critical getting the burr was. Basically if you don't get the burr, you haven't carried the profile all the way down to the bottom of the edge.

Once you do that though, WOW what an edge you will get. I've now done all of the kitchen knives and they're the best they've ever been. All of them now are set to 20° angle and are shaving sharp.

Now on to the pocket knives! :becky:

Do yinz use the Onion in the kitchen, or a garage/shed?

Specifically: Is there a lot of dust, filings, what have you?

I use it in the garage then HAND wash the knifes one at a time, dry and put in the knife block. Your knifes will stay sharp longer if you take care of them.

Yep, exactly what I found out. The big Big BIG key is getting the burr. I didn't get that when I first started using it and I thought I had got the knife sharp. Well, after reading here (and videos and reading (!) the instructions) I saw how critical getting the burr was. Basically if you don't get the burr, you haven't carried the profile all the way down to the bottom of the edge.

Once you do that though, WOW what an edge you will get. I've now done all of the kitchen knives and they're the best they've ever been. All of them now are set to 20° angle and are shaving sharp.

Now on to the pocket knives! :becky:

On kitchen knives the book says for the sharpest edge to use 17.5 angle and use belts 65, 22, and 4 in progression. The videos with ole Doug it looks like he uses the 120 belt to get a burr and then he goes straight to the 6000 belt. What is the best method for kitchen knives?

On kitchen knives the book says for the sharpest edge to use 17.5 angle and use belts 65, 22, and 4 in progression. The videos with ole Doug it looks like he uses the 120 belt to get a burr and then he goes straight to the 6000 belt. What is the best method for kitchen knives?

It really depends on the steel, not the type of knife.

A 17 degree angle, will give you a sharper blade, but if you have a softer steel, the edge will be likely to bend more. If your steel is too hard, the edge is more likely to chip out. The 20 degree edge is safer, but if you have good steel, you can go to the 17, which is what I did.

On the belts, again it depends on the steel. On harder steel, going to the coarser belt, will save a lot of time, on getting your bevel set. The finer belt you go to, the smoother, more polished your edge will get. I didn't bother going to the finest belt, on my knives. You really don't need a polished edge on a kitchen knife. A little bite to the blade, makes slicing easier, and the polishing, makes for a thinner edge, that doesn't hold up as well to chopping. On skinning and filet knives, I would go to the finer belt, just because the edge isn't going to be in contact with hard material. Boning knives, I would probably go with a 20 degree angle, and not as polished.

I thought that pocket knives were supposed to be sharpened at the 25 deg angle.

There is no specific angle that you have to use. I would say the 25 degrees is a standard angle for pocket knives, since it is a good balance between sharp and durable. IMO, what angle is best, depends on the knife, and what it is being used for. That's why I like stockman style pocket knives. You can keep one blade extremely sharp, and have the other two for utility uses.

Back