My disappointment is immeasurable. My summer is ruined.

Dang!!! Sorry your pit is back in quarantine.:loco::crazy:

As much as it sucks at least it broke completely so you could see the damage and not just cracked a little that could give you problems later on if you didn't notice it. Maybe they should beef up that angle with square tubing. From the pic it looks like that angle has all the weight on it.

It's just a good thing that you inspected it first. In the end, you will get the smoker you want in the condition you want and paid for.
I went to a big box Depot store to pick up a plastic storage bin for some of my backyard essentials. They had two in stock and they brought one out to me. What were they thinking when they brought the one out that had a forklift gash in it and the door that was showing had a crease in it? Naturally, I asked for the other one, so although my replacement was immediate, I feel your pain. Good luck getting everything squared away in a timely manner.

That sucks!
Since i'm a fab guy, I would have repaired it and have them give me a credit. Not bad damage really.
They need to find a way to crate their smokers up better to avoid damages like this.

I would have the shipping company pay for the damages, and use some of the money to hire a welder to fix and paint it. You might end up coming out of this ahead. Makes no sense to ship it back to LSG and have them ship it back. They might even recommend a company local to repair it.

I would have the shipping company pay for the damages, and use some of the money to hire a welder to fix and paint it. You might end up coming out of this ahead. Makes no sense to ship it back to LSG and have them ship it back. They might even recommend a company local to repair it.

As much as I want the pit right now, I sent it back. That’s what LSG told me to do. I don’t want any patch work. This pit wasn’t cheap, and I’ve never used it. I don’t want anything less than a brand new pit. I don’t want welds that look different or a piece of different material or an off paint color. I want a brand new perfect piece of equipment.

The turnaround will probably take me about a month or so.

That sucks!
Since i'm a fab guy, I would have repaired it and have them give me a credit. Not bad damage really.
They need to find a way to crate their smokers up better to avoid damages like this.

I felt the crate could’ve been better, but after talking with Chris and reviewing some pics and videos, it seems that the shipping company caused it by placing a pallet on one end causing it to teeter when being picked up. It was probably up in the air 10 inches or so and came crashing down on the other end.

They put the pallet on the smoke stack end and picked it up with the forklift. The firebox end is heavier and that’s the end with the busted axle. It was a 24x60 inch pit and I got the bigger 1/2 inch firebox as well and that made it very unbalanced hanging off that one pallet. See the pic when he was picking it up. It was tipping.

Attachments

• 95BB5B8D-40E5-4022-B616-2777760F91EA.jpg
    95BB5B8D-40E5-4022-B616-2777760F91EA.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 557
What a bummer. I just put my order in last week from LSG. Good to know about inspecting carefully before accepting. I agree with you on wanting a new cooker and sending it back. I know for myself, I would always look back at a repair and regret not sending it back.

I felt the crate could’ve been better, but after talking with Chris and reviewing some pics and videos, it seems that the shipping company caused it by placing a pallet on one end causing it to teeter when being picked up. It was probably up in the air 10 inches or so and came crashing down on the other end.

They put the pallet on the smoke stack end and picked it up with the forklift. The firebox end is heavier and that’s the end with the busted axle. It was a 24x60 inch pit and I got the bigger 1/2 inch firebox as well and that made it very unbalanced hanging off that one pallet. See the pic when he was picking it up. It was tipping.

It's tough to mitigate damage when dropped from a forklift no matter how it's crated.
Perhaps a sign (sticker) placed on the heavy end instructing forklift operators to lift from that end would help prevent future catastrophic outcomes?

Oh man that really sucks. LSG might indicate which side of the crate is the heavy side for future lifting reference.

That damage really is disheartening. I doubt it left LSG on a pallet as the crate is clearly built to be picked up from the center by a fork lift. Also I was once a professional forklift operator and would never show up to work wearing white sneakers, shorts and a wife beater.

What a bummer. I feel for you. Same thing happened to me. But LSG was great. And as Chris said, if it’s a scratch I can send you some paint. But anything else would be tough to fix remote. Send it back and we will make sure it’s right. And he did. Just took some extra time. But worth it and you will love it. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear this. I know how happy I was getting my new smoker this month. You did the right thing sending it back.

Packing could have been much better. Sometimes local delivery can really screw up cross country freight. It must have hit the ground hard somewhere along the way to do that. Sorry to hear about this.

I would be disappointed, but whole summer ruined?

Either way you did the right thing, it wouldve been dumb for you to accept the shipment and eventually you will have an undamaged unit, and this will all be a distant memory.

Back