THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ribeye Rob

Found some matches.
In an attempt to master the smoking technique I encourage myself to make a boston butt. The only tool I have is a Weber Master-Touch 22in Charcoal Grill that my wife gave me as a gift last Christmas. So here's my adventure...
+ Started a night before and rubbed two boston butts with a Weber Dry Smoking Rub.
+ I woke up at 3:30am and took the butts out of the fridge.
+ On a half of the grill I placed foil on the bottom and also a drip pan with water, the foil for easy cleaning of the grill and the pan to have humidity inside the grill.
+ Filled a chimney starter with Kingsford charcoal briquettes and then arranged those briquettes in a semicircle in the kettle (unlit). Lit one of the ends of the semicircle and placed about four hickory chunks along the briquettes.
+ I made with foil a heat deflector and placed it below the grate in the middle of the grill to avoid direct heat to the butts.
+ Placed the grate in its position and closed the lid.
+ I half closed the bottom vent and left about a third open the upper vent. Waited until the iGrill read 250*, then added the two boston butts.
+ In a cup of apple juice I added about a tablespoon of the Weber rub. After 3 hours I brushed the butts with the mixture. From then on, I brushed the butts every hour or so.
+ After 5 hours of cooking I checked the internal temperature of the butts. One read 160* and the other one 155*, I decided to swap the position of the butts and waited another hour.
+ Passing that hour the other butt also got to 160*. Arranged four big pieces of foil (two for each butt), placed a butt in the foil and added some more juice mixture, did the same thing with the other butt.
+ Returned to the grate and closed the lid. Waited 4 more hours.
+ After 10 hours of cooking the internal temperature got to 190* in both butts.
+ I let the butts rest in a lifoam cooler for about two hours.
+ In the meantime I made two bbq sauces, both from a Weber's cookbook: West Carolina and Kansas City-style.
+ Throughout the smoking process the temperature varied between 230* and 275*, the iGrill was of much help to control the temp.

Attachments

• IMG_7017.jpg
    IMG_7017.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 278
Looks great I love Weber kettles thinking about getting rid of wsm and buying a performer they are alot of fun wsm is great but it's more of a set it and forget it

Back