The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Pellet poopers make wonderful bacon cookers

75632c84db9247f3c7f7d18a29708ffa.jpg

4b23ea485b780fe39f0bd036cb917f35.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pellet cooked ribs.... soooo hard to beat! Those look awesome! How were they prepped/cooked?
Seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork Rub, cooked on the top rack, 1hr on smoke then 245, started spritzing at 2hrs in with 50/50 ACV/water every 45min, until they passed the bend test.

Last edited:
I’d try either a smoke tube or starting the ribs at <200 deg F for a couple hours

I made a smoketube years ago and have used it in my Vertical. It gives me flexibility as far as the temperature setting.

They are so cheap to purchase premade now it is trivial to give it a try.

Hi all,

I'm new here and am trying to decide on my first pellet grill. I am tired of my gas grill due to flare ups and temp swings and the hood design puts smoke and heat right at head level for me. It's annoying to say the least.

I'm looking at the Kuma Platinum SE, Mak 2 star, and Memphis pro.

This cooker would be used mainly for grilling with long smokes of brisket, ribs, butt, and full turkeys on weekends. Ideally I need something that could handle making enough turkey for 8 adults and 3 kids. Right now the Kuma is in the lead but finishing limited reviews of it are making this a tough call.

The mak looks nice but appears to be a bit more effort to keep clean and the Memphis is several hundred dollars more than the other options. The Kuma checks most boxes but I have no idea how it does in cold months. Since I live in Michigan I need something that can handle the cold.

What do you think brethren? Which should I go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cooked an insane amount of meat on my grills and smokers over the years and enjoyed every minute of it. Lots of beef, pork and turkey, but for some reason, not much chicken. I'm going to fix that using my Daniel Boone. I'm going to try different rubs, recipes, and temps. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of good ways to cook chicken, but I know there are a lot I haven't tried yet and I can't wait.

I'm going to scour this site (including this thread) and others for suggestions, but since this IS the pooper thread, advice from my fellow pellet grill owners on ways to cook yardbird would be welcome.

Hi all,

I'm new here and am trying to decide on my first pellet grill. I am tired of my gas grill due to flare ups and temp swings and the hood design puts smoke and heat right at head level for me. It's annoying to say the least.

This cooker would be used mainly for grilling with long smokes of brisket, ribs, butt, and full turkeys on weekends. Ideally I need something that could handle making enough turkey for 8 adults and 3 kids. Right now the Kuma is in the lead but finishing limited reviews of it are making this a tough call.

The mak looks nice but appears to be a bit more effort to keep clean and the Memphis is several hundred dollars more than the other options. The Kuma checks most boxes but I have no idea how it does in cold months. Since I live in Michigan I need something that can handle the cold.

I don’t think you could go wrong with those 3. I’d just go with your gut on this one.

I've cooked an insane amount of meat on my grills and smokers over the years and enjoyed every minute of it. Lots of beef, pork and turkey, but for some reason, not much chicken. I'm going to fix that using my Daniel Boone. I'm going to try different rubs, recipes, and temps. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of good ways to cook chicken, but I know there are a lot I haven't tried yet and I can't wait.

I'm going to scour this site (including this thread) and others for suggestions, but since this IS the pooper thread, advice from my fellow pellet grill owners on ways to cook yardbird would be welcome.

I’d use the boiling water trick on your chicken to get the skin crispy. Smoke setting for about an hour then bump the temp up to 400 deg basting with butter to finish.

SPOG ribs with no sauce. Smoke put a beautiful color on them!
Also did some chicken marinated with Olive Garden’s Italian dressing and veggies seasoned with a ranch dry seasoning packet. I forgot to remove the flame zone covers but the chicken turned out fantastic.

One thing I really like about the grill grates is that “grilled” flavor is much stronger and the meat seems juicier.

Last edited:
Hi all,

For me the main drawback to the Kuma was the limited depth of the grill. I just felt it would be too limiting for the things I cook, at that price. If its in your budget, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Mak 2 Star. It does everything you could ask for and has one of the best controllers in the business.

Hi all,

Welcome to the Brethren Chris! You are looking at 3 of the top options for sure! I will admit, I am a bit biased as a very happy MAK owner. That said, I have looked very hard at both the Memphis Pro and the Kuma Platinum SE. There is no such thing as the “perfect cooker!” That said, the biggest 2 reasons I did not go with a Memphis Pro were 1)Reported grease fires by owners (seems to happen more often on the Pro model). 2)The pattern and number of complaints I have seen about slow customer service when help is needed. Regarding the Kuma, I didn’t even consider them when I bought my MAK, because I didn’t know about them. Now that I know about them, I will admit, they have my interest. Between the MAK and Kuma, I don’t think you can really go wrong either way. Knowing what I now know through research and personal experience with my MAK, I’d still choose a MAK if I were to do it all over again. I have come to the conclusion that for my needs and the way that I cook, the MAK is the best all around fit. Side note... I have spoken with the guys at Kuma (super nice guys) on several occasions just because I love learning about the various pellet grills on the market... and one thing that I have not been able to get a solid answer on from Kuma is the etched logo on the lid. Look closely and you’ll see that it’s actually cut out, which in my mind would invite water into the cooker anytime it rains. I asked Kuma about that and they said it’s not a problem. I went as far as to ask if they’d pour a couple of cups of water through the hole and actually record it (it would be a real concern of mine if I were ever to buy one) and I never heard back from them...

Last edited:
There is no such thing as the “perfect cooker!”

A very inconvenient truth I’ve come to realize. If I had to do it again I’d go with the Mak again. There is a lot of great pellet grills out there but there are a lot of things I like about the Mak that I would miss if I went with a different brand.

Pitts and spitts is a model that has my attention more than most to be honest.

A very inconvenient truth I’ve come to realize. If I had to do it again I’d go with the Mak again. There is a lot of great pellet grills out there but there are a lot of things I like about the Mak that I would miss if I went with a different brand.

Pitts and spitts is a model that has my attention more than most to be honest.

Ditto on the Pitts and Spitts. I have put my MAK side by side w/ the PS 1250 on paper a few times looking at the advantages/disadvantages. One thing that continually keeps me at arms length from the PS 1250 is the weight of the internal parts. I love how quick and easy it is to clean my MAK after a cook... especially with the removable fire pot (no shop-vac required). The drip plate/diffuser on the PS 1250 weighs in at 65 lbs from what I have read. I do not think I’d enjoy dealing with that PLUS a shop-vac every time I have to clean it. Call me weak and lazy, I don’t care... lol.

That said, there are definitely things I love about the 1250!

Beef ribs yesterday on the Pitts & Spitts 850. These did not suck.

y4m4jvFYPeFixTskM2WDYcb52Hi5TMUU4WKIj0VfA936zC3LQ1ocNdEA-ZsuXCtrd27_UfHGq4Cc2CurQycop-YvZyerLZfRP6HqZKnSmYA5wmnWtpygafowPj75TivVF760oI6fKJv8Xe5bKyZFqfHaA1LoEN5PUkMyzdTGEy9OlmZjnuoT2vnTn2ilMxkVcUoNkNBGh0VULp_ou4VGsewnw

y4mYpp56XnWGdK4uKhTPYhQHE9IuP2lQYFneLokbzNkUhpav6QTMmjG_qFe8UZEeE_29iYsOw4otpFu8rcilU9UUVe5R1wPIdiN39-6eRqNR3VCQEoGmlXhVtt4AwVXYNueluUlcg6sUAiLdi5UPDpUidblG4ehf86ewMiFcFJnIOlI64HULls_OBEk6yJNdptmpWerjLsvDNRmnZVfxj-GwA

y4mKkZ7UPlE-E5h0mG1WuJMZ7of08R3YIOZ0djP-wkFiDC7KONWDqVCO8Tl4oSvFMOBO7WEey29KTR6u1t0m8VsDXS9uWZCQJSxXqpluE9QmWV13vPVoA6BN1bBclRDvfdZyc5xE_T6L1con9DkFvajoQ82A81KrTU8RVgaPBWAfXkF5t1Wdj3whkMkmoEUD2PI-GUrgWLC8PabMS13Rt5gtw

“These did not suck!” No kidding... nicely done. Pretty sure properly cooked beef ribs are my favorite low n slow cooked meat... and yours look to be properly cooked [emoji41]

Back