Building my own

Amazing ... .just plain amazing. I assume that thing hanging off the end that looks to have fake wheels painting on it converts to a table or something?

Amazing ... .just plain amazing. I assume that thing hanging off the end that looks to have fake wheels painting on it converts to a table or something?
wheels come down to provide a track for the three fuel trays that slide out from the back. The cooker works similar to a reverse offset. but instead of having a firebox, the lower 2 foot of the cooker is the firebox.

That is a pretty sweet cooker! I wish I woulda thought about something like that. Maybe I will need to make one out of an old schoolbus.

One further question about construction materials. I'm probably gonna make my own grilles from expanded steel mesh, is it necessary for hygiene resons to make them from stainless mesh or can one use plain carbon steel and rely on the initial seasoning of the smoker to hygieneify it?

I think that cement truck cooker is COOL!
990.gif

One further question about construction materials. I'm probably gonna make my own grilles from expanded steel mesh, is it necessary for hygiene resons to make them from stainless mesh or can one use plain carbon steel and rely on the initial seasoning of the smoker to hygieneify it?
If your'e lucky enough to get stainless, go for it. I use reg. steel tho. Easier on the budget.

Browser, how do you plan to weld the stainless to carbon? You can TIG or even MIG with the right alloy wires, but they are spendy. Just asking.

I was going to use dissimilar metal rods and arc weld, but I've obtained some free mild steel mesh so have changed my mind!

Right, I’ve ceased prevaricating, I’m going to build (drumroll please!!) an Ugly Drum Smoker!!:eusa_clap
Why? Well, having sat and worked it out all mafematick-like I realised that my 14” diameter propane cylinder would give me less grate area than a 2 grate UDS (a 22” grate gives roughly 380 sq in area), plus which If I wanted I could add an extension sleeve like several others have and get an additional grate for not much effort.
The real decider was being able to obtain a drum, flattened expanded mesh for grate and charcoal basket material, various bolts and an unused stainless fabrication for a lid from my workplace free of charge as they’re all in the scrap bin. Plus which I’ve already got a pair of pneumatically-tyred wheels and several lengths of 1” square and 2” x 1” rectangular-section tube at home, also rescued from the works scrap bin, which I can use to make a wheeled stand/trolley. About the only thing I’ll have to shell out for, aside from charcoal and meat of course, is the thermometers, so the whole project should only cost me about £23.00 for a remote probe thermo!:mrgreen:
On the subject of thermometers, to measure the drum internal temperature can I use a standard steel-probe-type meat thermometer set in an insulator through the wall of the drum or do I need to use a remote probe unit? Is it advisable/necessary to keep a remote probe thermo in whatever piece of meat I’m barbecueing all the time it’s in the smoker, or just check now and then?

Last edited:
Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country:rolleyes: :-D ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.

Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country:rolleyes: :-D ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.
I first started using my drum in December and also thought about insulating mine. Of course So Cal soes not get exactly cold. I was going to use a blanket for a hot water heater. They sell a aluminum looking one around here. I ended up not buying it. The only problem I had with mine is with the wind. I started using the clamp band to better seal the lid. I tacked a set of vice grip pliers to it instead of threading thr bolt each time. Do you have weber kettlet or imitations there?
http://www.radiantguard.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=45

Last edited:
Yep, we have the Weber Kettle, as well as several imitations. I've tried getting a free one i.e. putting an ad on Freecycle for an old one, but to no avail I'm afraid. I have an item lined up at work to use as a lid and it's weight'll help seal it. If I get any major lid seal problems I'll raid an old oven for it's door seal and put that on. Having investigated the lagging/cladding option it'll only cost me about £10 so I figure I might as well do it as not. I'll get some pics tomorrow night of the raw materials and get 'em posted.

UDS build has commenced. I collected the two major parts tonight and started into 'em.

IMGP0677.jpg

IMGP0678.jpg

The stainless Chinaman's hat I've obtained to make the lid with was made in error for the exhaust pipe of an emergency diesel generator and never used, so I asked an I got. I've cut the four legs off and the lower cone out, leaving a 1" lip all the way round, and wouldn't you know it fits nicely inside the edge of the drum:-D All it needs is some 'tuning' to get it to seal properly and we're in business. Opened up the drum after flushing with solvent cleaner. Ill hopefully wipe it out tonight then clean with some water-soluble degreaser, then have a go at burning it out. Also got the mesh for the grates as I don't seem to be able to blag a free Weber like some people on here:razz: :wink: and will cut the propane cylinder ready to make the ash catcher/grate.

Drum Topper

That is a most unique drum lid you got there....Outstanding!!! Weld some fins on the bottom of your drum and it will look like a large firework!!!Lol:lol::biggrin::wink:
Keep us posted on your progress....

Back