THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd appreciate you more if you told us how you really felt.

Here are two different examples of what I have seen on documentaries or heard in personal conversations with BBQ people.

1. "I learned from my father / mother who learned from granpa / grandma and we have done it that way ever since. People seem to like it."

2. "I learned how to cook as a classically trained chef in a highly regarded french restaurant. Then, I ran a successful catering business. Then, I went into competition BBQ and won many awards. Now I am taking all that knowledge and experience into building my own restaurant."

What's the difference here? One person gives a damn to learn new things, try new ways, and succeed in new endeavors. The other one probably hasn't learned a thing and might even be stubbornly proud that they haven't and even defensive against anyone who questions what they do and why.

Who do you think I would like to learn from? Which restaurant do you think I would like to eat at? Yeah, number 2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. What gets me the most is that I am supposed to respect the person who has only done the same thing their whole life that one person taught them as if they are some model of success. No, they are the product of other peoples experimentation and success. Congrats to them for continuing to do what someone else learned to do well I guess? but place number 1 is never going to get better and place number 2 is always going to improve. I'll take place number 2 thank you.

What it proves is that anyone can start in BBQ and do better than most other people if they try. The guy or gal who is sitting there saying, "This is what we have always done" is doing it wrong. Instead, they should be asking themselves, "how can we do it better". The folks who come into this fresh with zero experience and pour into it seem to do far better than the places that always just did what grandma said to do. It's not a fluke or an accident. It's the difference between someone trying to do their best and someone just trying to do the one thing they know how to do, the one way they know how to do it.

Last edited:
Here are two different examples of what I have seen on documentaries or heard in personal conversations with BBQ people.

1. "I learned from my father / mother who learned from granpa / grandma and we have done it that way ever since. People seem to like it."

2. "I learned how to cook as a classically trained chef in a highly regarded french restaurant. Then, I ran a successful catering business. Then, I went into competition BBQ and won many awards. Now I am taking all that knowledge and experience into building my own restaurant."

What's the difference here? One person gives a damn to learn new things, try new ways, and succeed in new endeavors. The other one probably hasn't learned a thing and might even be stubbornly proud that they haven't and even defensive against anyone who questions what they do and why.

Who do you think I would like to learn from? Which restaurant do you think I would like to eat at? Yeah, number 2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. What gets me the most is that I am supposed to respect the person who has only done the same thing their whole life that one person taught them as if they are some model of success. No, they are the product of other peoples experimentation and success. Congrats to them for continuing to do what someone else learned to do well I guess? but place number 1 is never going to get better and place number 2 is always going to improve. I'll take place number 2 thank you.

Here's the problem, thanks for pointing it out, you NEED to quit reading and start cooking for yourself. The more you cook the better you get and you will never go out to eat BBQ....plain and simple, just like cheap white bread!:mrgreen:

1. I really enjoy eating at #2 places. For me personally, I don't need another Central TX style BBQ joint opened up within 100 miles of me. I like seeing the new twists and fresh takes on things that the #1s have been doing for years.

2. The #1s have been doing it for years for a reason.

I just wanna know who hurt you?

Where else can you read 6 pages about freaking white bread haha? Man, I love this place. I bet those who serve white bread are far more likely to cook in their front yard too.

Here's the problem, thanks for pointing it out, you NEED to quit reading and start cooking for yourself. The more you cook the better you get and you will never go out to eat BBQ....plain and simple, just like cheap white bread!:mrgreen:

That's exactly why I am here. I smoked my first bone in pork butt two weekends ago on my brand new weber grill with a new slow and sear. First time I have ever used a slow and sear and it was great. Just got a new wireless temp monitor so I don't have to keep opening up the grill to get the temp level at the level of the meat. Next recipe I try for pork butt is going to be Tuffy Stones competition pork butt recipe from his book "Cool Smoke". But I have to order Butcher BBQ's pork injection for it as it is called for in the recipe.

But let me tell you. The pork butt that I made myself is far better than any i have had out in a restaurant so far. As well, HA, cheaper for sure on a per sandwich basis. Honestly, I can't wait to grill and smoke more. This is one of the first times where I made something at home that was better than any restaurant I have eaten at. I'm so excited I cannot describe. Pork butt is hard to screw up they claim in my books. But it's still nice when it's better than what they are serving at every place I have eaten at so far out in town. But it's also sad in a way and prompts questions to me like, "What the heck is this white bread thing?"

Over time, I am certain to be able to make better BBQ than I can have almost anywhere in the state, which apparently in Florida isn't that hard to do from what I have seen so far. But I still have more places to go to. I just don't feel like driving an hr or more to get there.

What's a bbq joint supposed to do when the majority of regular customers expect things to be the same every time. It's worked for decades and they have a lot of success. People come from out of state and maybe all over the world. They don't want new fancy tastes. They expect the same thing that they have read about can't blame someone for staying the same. Other places can cater to people who need it a different way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What's a bbq joint supposed to do when the majority of regular customers expect things to be the same every time. It's worked for decades and they have a lot of success. People come from out of state and maybe all over the world. They don't want new fancy tastes. They expect the same thing that they have read about can't blame someone for staying the same. Other places can cater to people who need it a different way.

You do what everyone before you has done who ever changed anything in food. You first find out what is better as I am trying to do with this post here. Then, you experiment. When you do find something better you understand why it is better. When you understand why it is better than you truly have to power to improve things. You use that knowledge to possibly make something even better than what you can buy because you know what makes it better.

Then, when you are certain that it's better you have to market it. First some history.

1. In the 1950-60's people from Japan were opening sushi bars and stands in California. Americans however, did not like the idea of eating seaweed. So, a novel and inventive Sushi chef decided to turn the roll inside out so that the seaweed was on the inside instead of the outside of the roll. He created a sushi that was cheap with imitation crab meat, avocado, and cucumber. He would encourage Americans new to sushi to try this one first. It was even cheap enough to give a bite of it away for free if need be as a taste. It was later called the California roll. Now, it is the most popular entry level roll for people new to sushi to eat all over the world.

So when you find something new that is better you have to figure out a way to market it as better to your customers. You have to get them to try it and understand why it's better. You have to educate the customer. Over time, people will switch.

2. The ice cream cone. The ice cream cone was an accident that was never supposed to happen. At the worlds fair there was an ice cream stand next to a waffle stand. Well it was really hot one day and everyone wanted ice cream and no one wanted waffles. So the ice cream vendor ran out of paper trays and went next door to the waffle maker and said, "Can we serve our ice cream on your waffles?" It was a win / win for both people. Now both places were selling more when both places were about to shut down. People loved it. It was new, it was novel, it was exciting. The ice cream cone was born.

One way to get people to try something is to simply run out of something elese. Just put a sign on the door saying, "Out of white bread sorry, but we have toasted buttered brioche for now. more white bread next week". You can trick people this way into trying something better.

Or you can give a way a slider, a taste of something better and see if they like it. The point is that you first have to find out what is better. Then understand why it's better. Only then do you discover inventive ways to market it and sell it to your customers.

So far people have only listed two functional reasons why you would serve white bread.

1. A white bread, or rather flavorless bread, will not detract from the flavor of the meat.

2. A white bread actually tastes good with BBQ.

Number 1 to me is the only good reason. Number 2 can be replaced with any bread that adds to the flavor and tastes good.

The other reason listed for serving any bread was the oldest one of all, and that is as a sop for liquids. But I don't consider grease a liquid that needs a sop. A bread sop served with a meal is done so because that meal is often served with an actual sauce, like spaghetti, Alfredo, etc.

So the question is, what bread will not detract from the flavor of the meat but only add to it and taste better than white bread?

People have given many options but I think I am going to experiment a lot further on this and try every bread around with my BBQ until I find better options. Fortunately, south Florida does have a lot of bread places and grocery stores that sell all kinds of specialty breads whether is is the Fresh Market, Sprouts, publix, whole foods, or some special store like Panera bread. So that part is covered so far.

The quest goes on.

The really goof bbq joint in my home town tried to switch from select to choice brisket. He tried to explain how it would be a higher quality meat and how it would taste better. It didn't last long as the locals refused to pay the price increase. Now this might work in a bigger city with a more diverse population. In small town Texas not so much.

Now there is another place across town that gets a little fancy. They charge more and it's no good but someone must think it's good as he stays in business but he has to do concerts and stuff to attract customers. My point is both can work. Let someone new come in and change it up. Leave the old places as is if they prefer. I know you think tradition is lazy or bad but to some it's almost as important as life itself. We're talking about food not cell phones or automobiles.

Who goes to a BBQ joint for the bread, anyway??

Hence, why I don't care what kind of bread they serve.

Well I just went over all the bad google reviews for the last year at Franklins BBQ in texas. Do you want to know what the biggest complaint was outside of the line, the waiting, and the price? It was the sides. No one liked the sides. To top it off, some of the people who gave it glowing reviews even remarked that you go to Franklins for the brisket and that the sides were not good.

Well, in my view then I don't ever need to go to Franklin's. I don't need to go to a restaurant for only one thing. I would rather just learn to cook that one thing at home. When I go to a restaurant I want everything to be good. If I ever go to a restaurant for just one thing, then I will be ordering take out or pick up.

In my view, if you have a restaurant then it's your duty to make everything good. Otherwise why do you serve things that are crap. If you are a restaurant that only does one thing good, then take the rest of the crap off the menu. In other parts of the world they see a restaurant as a place that makes all food great. You can expect that everything on the menu is there because it's good. Only in American do you go to a restaurant expecting only part of what they serve to actually be worth getting.

Everyone's taste is subjective.

See my statement about opinions earlier.

This whole thread is about your opinion and what you think is right.

In some folks eyes, what you think and your opinion is wrong, like the Google reviews.

Just because you think one way doesn't make it the right way, Rick.

Respect other peoples opinions and choices and you'll do well here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back