THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After reading your posts in the weird rib thread that is so popular I am starting to think that you are Meathead's number one fan. He said "Show me a barbecue joint that doesn't serve garlic bread and I give them less than a year". I might be crazy, but I am pretty sure there are plenty of BBQ places that have been around for a long time without garlic bread.

When I have traveled places and looked into BBQ places to visit the question of what type of bread they serve has never crossed my mind. However, even at a chain place like Rudy's you can order a sandwich on a bun for a certain price or you can just order the meat. If you order the meat you can still get bread, jalapenos, pickles, onions, and sauce all complimentary. You can probably save a little bit of money that way.

In any event it sounds like everyone is happy. South Florida can continue to elevate every aspect of the meal and enjoy the world famous BBQ scene there. In my neck of the woods I will enjoy the Texas BBQ and decline the option for white bread if I don't feel like eating it.

I wouldn't serve garlic bread, but i definitely wouldn't insult my customers with plain white bread. Especially with todays prices of $20/lb for brisket. I would at the very least serve corn bread.

Good lord, how old is that menu? $7/lb Must be pork.

Most anyplace down south, if you say BBQ, you mean pork.

In Texas, a bunch of the places have loaves of white bread, sliced pickles, sliced onions & jalapenos out for sides alongside the napkin/paper towels. Help yourself, but eat what you take.

Jokes aside. $7lb is doable for pork, but till you figure in overhead, you're not making much in 2020.

If it's anything like Craig's BBQ in DeValls Bluff, Arkansas, I'm gonna guess the overhead is pretty low. A telling question was when my son asked "is this a restaurant?" when we pulled up. :laugh: Farking awesome spot btw - run down, but awesome. IIRC they serve white bread like most of the good BBQ joints do, btw.

Sometimes I make rice...white rice, cheap as hell minute rice. I'm a trendsetter.

-D

Once it starts getting cold short ribs on rice will warm you up.

rp_Slow_Braised_Short_Ribs_with_Sake_Sticky_Rice.jpg

If it's anything like Craig's BBQ in DeValls Bluff, Arkansas, I'm gonna guess the overhead is pretty low. A telling question was when my son asked "is this a restaurant?" when we pulled up. :laugh: Farking awesome spot btw - run down, but awesome. IIRC they serve white bread like most of the good BBQ joints do, btw.

When I first posted it, my daughter asked if I was eating at someone's house. BTW, they also have a James Beard Award.

JBCJIgHl.jpg

I can tell you this. Those places would never be Food Serve Safe in my area. I have enough trouble with trying to get a bakery going.

Tennessee,Texas,KC,Carolinas,Alabama,Mississippi.I have never heard rave reviews of South Florida Q.Bread,meat or sides.But then again,I really don't care.To each their own.Do and eat what makes you and your friends happy.Others should do the same.

Have you ever tried it?

I love a white piece of bread folded over with some brisket and pickled onions and just very small drizzle of a not to sweet sauce.

The only way I eat sauce on brisket though. If it's just the meat there won't be any sauce on it.

Have you ever tried it?

I love a white piece of bread folded over with some brisket and pickled onions and just very small drizzle of a not to sweet sauce.

The only way I eat sauce on brisket though. If it's just the meat there won't be any sauce on it.

Also good when it is just dipped in the bean juice too

Well y’all round her we use hushpuppies ain’t had one damn complaint!

Thank you Overkill! Finally someone talks about what should be with bbq...hushpuppies! I don't quite get the white bread thing either, but I will eat some if that's how it comes. And most cornbread that I've had at a bbq joint was like an afterthought, usually dry or overly sweet.

But I judge a place based on their 'que, sauce(s) and if they have hushpuppies (and type/style/taste of the hushpuppies).

I don't mind plain white bread, but if you can do homemade bread, that is actually really nice. It's still white bread, but it gives it some more personality.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

What you are missing Rick is that real BBQ (especially in Texas) is all about the meat.

As TexasPete said, if the meat is properly prepared, there is no need for anything else. No need for sauce. No need for sides. The Meat is a meal in itself.

Now if you want to try new things and get all fancy, that's your choice, but don't knock folks for respecting tradition.

Have you ever tried it?

Of course I have tried it. I have no choice but to eat BBQ this way if I eat it out in town because so far the only place around me that doesn't serve everything on plain white bread is Sonny's BBQ restaurants. So far, that was the best BBQ that I have had down here. All of the local places that people rave about down here were rather tasteless to me. There was no smoke flavor at all at one place I ate at. Sure enough, I read the google reviews and other people complained of the same thing, tasteless meat.

Florida isn't known for good BBQ because they simply don't have it here. There are just a few places in the entire Tampa Bay area that serve decent BBQ, I'm not even talking good, but just decent. I have more places to try, but now I'm having to drive 40 minuets away to get there. What's worse is everyone I talk too that has already been to these places says, "Don't bother" and they all agree that so far Sonny's is the best in my area.

Do you realize how frustrated and sad that makes all of us that I have talked too? Tasteless meat. Plain white bread. Awful beans. If they do one thing decent then the rest of the meal sucks.

Why doesn't anyone care to elevate every part of the meal? When did American become as locked by tradition as Japan is?

BBQ was served with plain white bread because it was cheap and none of the places that served BBQ were places that made bread. Instead, they were butcher shops, meat markets, and even grocery stores and gas stations. BBQ was a cheap side gig for most of these places.

But today, BBQ is expensive. You have to pay 8-13 dollars for a single pulled pork sandwich here with no sides, no fries, no nothing. Buy a drink and just one side and you have just paid as much as a meal at Olive Garden or any regular sit down restaurant. And this is just for pulled pork! Eat some Brisket and you pay as much as a fine wine and dine place. So why are they serving plain white bread with one of the most expensive so called cheap meals that you can have? For 8-13 dollars you can't have a better bun? You can't toast it? You can't even butter it? You can't even try something better because of some tradition that isn't even really a tradition?

A tradition is a long standing belief. A tradition is something usually based on authority. In the case of white bread on BBQ it can't even be called a tradition because it was only based on cheap availability and that's all. That's not what's best. That is certainly not a belief and it wasn't imposed as a standard by any authority. Instead, it's just what places seem to always do because someone before them also did it for some reason they don't even remember. That's not a tradition.

Cornbread is better. Hush-puppies are better. Toasted Texas toast is better. But if you serve plain white bread and you have no other reason than, well, that's what someone else does, then you haven't elevated anything at all. Instead, you just downgraded your meal for no good reason whatsoever.

If you look up a burger recipe you will often find "Toasted, buttered, brioche bun" in the recipe. Why? That's because many people agree that a hamburger is best on a toasted (because a hamburger is juicy and toasting it helps prevent sogging of the bun) brioche bun. A brioche bun has eggs and often honey or even vanilla added. It is a semi sweet bread with good flavor that pairs well with a burger. But for BBQ, people just serve plain white bread from the bag. Really? That's what people think is best with BBQ? No, instead that's just what people do because it was what someone else did to be cheap and quick.

Last edited:
Like a lot of other things southern or white folks don't want to see the word white, reckon times are changing. being diabetic I really am not supposed to eat white bread but have had some great Q with it lol,

Back