Popdaddy's Meandering Series Reveals 30 year secret - The Sour Dough Brisket

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Popdaddy’s Meandering Video Series – The “up until now” super secret Sour Dough Brisket Method

278075779_3036128736604694_1330084472240323994_n.jpg

This is what we used to do before injections were technically “legal” or purchasable. This predates my innovative “tri level” method.

Video 1 of 11 – I sat on this secret for 30 years maybe. SOUR DOUGH BRISKET. The technique is actually hidden deep in the bbqbrethren. Like it's printed white on white while the regular message looks like something else. This is part 1.. what we gunna do.

Video 2 of 11 - Making the sour dough brisket injection. A closely guarded 30 year secret - That's right, Pitmaster T will merge fresh new Clarence Joseph of Papa Joe's BBQ techniques with his 30 year old injection of... get this... smokey, beefy collagen rich drippings of his last brisket. The injection method is 30 years old, not the actual injection. Warning, unlike a sour dough starter, only use the drippings once. This means, do not use the drippings from THIS brisket in the next, you need a whole new fresh brisket. I have also used pork drippings with interesting results.

HERE are the major tips on trimming comp style briskets by IBCA CHAMPION and Newest Influence - Clarence “Papa” Joseph of Converse Texas - THIS IS A COMPETION CUT!!!! It is not my usual technique I am mastered – and so many of you have too. My skills never emerged doing this because I competed in a non-flat up world.

Video 3a of 11 - trimming for comp. Well, as best as I can. I am freshening up my skills with tips from Papa Joes, OUR STATE’S champion IBCA pitmaster. You can always learn. Just find out who is the best. After all, did you know when Prince 1st started out he was the opening band for Rick James, he used to watch Rick James show, Copy his style for the next show the next day, then make Rick James seem like he was copying Prince. So, I'm gonna steal from a master .... Clarence Joseph. Of course, Rick James did beat his ass up for that. That was during the Dirty Mind Era.

Video 3b of 11 – trimming continues. SOUR DOUGH BRISKET Method

Video 3c of 11 – TRIMMING - final snips and tucks of the sour dough brisket championship style. I totally forgot the "off" angle CJ uses to make sure the grains of both point and flat are cut somewhat against the grain. So, I will have to manually do it.

Video 4 of 11 - finished trim and now the ACTUAL sour dough injection.

PART 5A - See this first – I had to reach back to another brisket to show the nectar for the Grace Jones Flavorbinderrubbergrabber.
Making the Grace Jones Beefy Rubber Grabber – This is not so much for binding the rub but for a unique bark and umami flavor – One extra ingredient than normal tip by IBCA CHAMPION and Newest Influence - Clarence “Papa” Joseph of Converse Texas

Video 5b of 11 – Grace Jones, Flavorbinderrubbergrabber... and tri level Plus Bearded Butchers Black as suggested by Brother Joseph. The video does not show the prior process - see above.

Video 6 of 11 - Putting in the sour dough brisket and first spritz.

Video 7 of 11
– spritzes.. 2 mo'gin

Video 8 of 11 – Wrapping Time

Video 9 of 11 – Sour dough brisket - unwrap, probe, probe, rest, dry out bark....then no sugar glaze

Video 10 of 11 – Slicing

Video 11 of 11 - Money Shots and BARK - I ended up having a technical glitch so the really sexy pictures of the presentation never got filmed and I tossed it all in a bin and fed the kids. I had to scramble to find footage

Back