What is the worse thing you heard in the judging tent?

I had a neighboring judge (Salisbury) question why I didn’t have a cooler, he said I was being "wasteful". I told him he could have the rest of my samples (he declined)

I also told him I wouldn’t be caught dead carrying a cooler and that I only where my badge in the tent and, I feel dirty every time I judge, He didn’t talk to me again :rolleyes:

i had a judge at a table once tell the table captain she marked down the entry because they didn't give her any sliced pork. the table captain came unglued and a couple of years later, she was asked to retake the judging class.

This was a conversation i had recently with a judge, after judging was over. The contest was a grilling contest, the catagory was pork tenderloin, open. I was in another teams tent and the judge came over to chat. when shown all the turnins, she stated she got their entry for pork. It was a stuffed pork tenderloin.

Spicy(hot) bark on the outside, inside stuffed with a sweeter goatcheese/raisin/cranberry stuffing(I think that was what was in it)... In any event, the product, sampled as whole, had the sweetness/creamyness of the stuffing offset the heat from the bark. I would have gave it a 8-9 easily for both taste and texture. And i had the leftovers at least 20 minutes after judging ended.

Here was the brief conversation, of which i walked away so steamed that i went back to my site spitting nails and talking to myself. The team was nicer than I was.. or just stunned... but i was pretty pissed off.

Her:.. I got that at my table!(pointing to the pork loin and helping herself to another sample.)
Team: how was it?
Her: We separated the meat and tasted it, and it was too hot and spicy.
Me: (Ears perked up..) "WE" separated the meat?
Her: yes, we seperated the meat and tasted that by itselff, then ate the stuffing. The meat was dry and too spicy so we marked it down.
Me: But you are suppose to judge the sample AS PRESENTED. It was PRESENTED as a medallion of STUFFED Tenderloin. You should sample and judge it as whole, not 2 separate items. The ingredients are there to balance each other out. You screwed the team.
Her: Well, what can I tell you.. thats how we did it, I wasnt the only one, others did it too. (came with a shrug of the shoulders and a roll of the eyes). Like...'too bad'..

I was farking torqued.. had to get away before i blew.. went back to my site mumbling and grumbling..

Big, Big, Big Guy at our table looks up after getting the Brisket and says to the table Cap. "where did the boxes of brisket go" Cap says " they were removed and placed on that table with all the others" Biggie gets up without sampling any of the turn-ins and starts going through the boxes. Cap says "what the hell ya doing" Big's says " I came here to take everything home" Big's then sits down quickly gives scores then gets into his vehicle and speeds off with his overfilled doggie bag........Nice

I didn't personally hear this but was told that another judge said this earlier this year:

"I'm on a low sodium diet... All of this food has salt in it and I can't eat it..."

Um... OK. Time to stop judging then. Or take a double dose of your heart meds.

This was a conversation i had recently with a judge, after judging was over. The contest was a grilling contest, the catagory was pork tenderloin, open. I was in another teams tent and the judge came over to chat. when shown all the turnins, she stated she got their entry for pork. It was a stuffed pork tenderloin.

Spicy(hot) bark on the outside, inside stuffed with a sweeter goatcheese/raisin/cranberry stuffing(I think that was what was in it)... In any event, the product, sampled as whole, had the sweetness/creamyness of the stuffing offset the heat from the bark. I would have gave it a 8-9 easily for both taste and texture. And i had the leftovers at least 20 minutes after judging ended.

Here was the brief conversation, of which i walked away so steamed that i went back to my site spitting nails and talking to myself. The team was nicer than I was.. or just stunned... but i was pretty pissed off.

Her:.. I got that at my table!(pointing to the pork loin and helping herself to another sample.)
Team: how was it?
Her: We separated the meat and tasted it, and it was too hot and spicy.
Me: (Ears perked up..) "WE" separated the meat?
Her: yes, we seperated the meat and tasted that by itselff, then ate the stuffing. The meat was dry and too spicy so we marked it down.
Me: But you are suppose to judge the sample AS PRESENTED. It was PRESENTED as a medallion of STUFFED Tenderloin. You should sample and judge it as whole, not 2 separate items. The ingredients are there to balance each other out. You screwed the team.
Her: Well, what can I tell you.. thats how we did it, I wasnt the only one, others did it too. (came with a shrug of the shoulders and a roll of the eyes). Like...'too bad'..

I was farking torqued.. had to get away before i blew.. went back to my site mumbling and grumbling..

I guess that's the a bit similar to the judges who are not fans of chicken skin and pull it off to sample the meat underneath only.

There is a judge in my area that travels ALL over and proudly boasts judging around 200 contests.
He has told me on more than one occasion that "i dont like seeing sliced pork in the box. I mark down if i see it"

He has told me that he also prefers spares vs. baby back but his wife is the other way. I didnt bother asking if marks down there.

From another judge i have also heard " I mark down for anything sweet"
I stopped letting him judge my contest. My contest is at a mall and when i told him why i didnt want him judging anymore his response was nothing about trying to be a better judge - it was bout how much money he spends at the mall.

He was at 26 or 27 contests judged back then. There is a special reason I have one seen him once in the last 3 years :thumb: Still doesnt have his masters.

There's a judge in New England who told me '6 chicken things in a box is boring looking, I give it a 6 for appearance.'

#5. I like my ribs falling off the bone.
#4. I like my brisket falling apart tender.
#3. I don't like spicy foods.
#2. If they put a lot of sauce on it they must be hiding something and I will mark it low.
#1. From a Master Judge, I hate chicken, they can't make me eat it, DING, DING, DING, the winner. :mad2::evil::heh::mad::tsk::boxing:
Dave

i had a judge at a table once tell the table captain she marked down the entry because they didn't give her any sliced pork. the table captain came unglued and a couple of years later, she was asked to retake the judging class.

Why? Did KCBS need more money from her?

and you mean to tell me that the judges should not be taught a specific flavor profile, texture, and appearance at the judging class...the whole judging system is so screwed, its a joke....you should not go to a comp. and get raging mad if you come in on the low side of the scoring....one thing i have learned about this comp thing is there is as much luck if not more in it as their is skill

and you mean to tell me that the judges should not be taught a specific flavor profile, texture, and appearance at the judging class...the whole judging system is so screwed, its a joke....you should not go to a comp. and get raging mad if you come in on the low side of the scoring....one thing i have learned about this comp thing is there is as much luck if not more in it as their is skill

if it's luck, how then, do the top teams continue to be the top teams?

luck is random.

just sayin. there's SOME luck, but that's about it.

now that i think about it, taht may be the worst thing i've heard outside a judge tent.

At the GAB two or three years ago I heard a newby CBJ telling the rest of us at the table how he made his brisket at home ..... and it always turned out GREAT!!! He injected & rubbed, let it rest in the fridge overnight, rubbed again & put it in the farkin' OVEN!!!

At another comp I heard a gal complain after the briskie scoring "They didn't even give us any burnt ends!"

Another time was "Why didn't #4 turn in thighs like everyone else?"

They are out there - - - and they breed :shocked:.

#1 - If there is fat or a bone fragment in the pork, I am giving them a 2.
#2 - Sorry, there was a problem and we don't have a hand washing station.

Personally though, the worst thing I heard was myself saying "Sheesh, look at that. That's dry grass and dry pine needles. They dropped these freakin' ribs!" And, "Wow, that chicken is raw. Table Captain, I'm not tasting this."

I was also at a comp one time when one of the cooks came racing by and stuck his head in the judges tent and yelled "I hope none of you get sick!" That was pretty funny.

Had a judge say that "He needed to see a rib bone on its side to give a 9 on presentation".

Flavor profiles and not taught in judging classes.

Back