What the Heck is with this White Bread Thing?

Notice that the rest of the world doesn't use white bread. For instance:

In mexico almost all grilled and smoked meats are served on soft shell tortillas, like Fajitas

In Adana, Turkey (where I was born) they make Adana Kebab (a grilled meat) that is their version of a Fajita and it is eaten the same way on a flatbread. Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adana_kebabı

The thinking is that you don't serve a soft bread with a saucy meat. Instead, you serve a firmer, dryer, thin bread that will better catch and hold drippings and sauce while you eat it. This is a much better vehicle for grilled meats.

In America where many use white breads they are toasted in order to help keep the bread from turning to mush too quickly.

My research is now taking me back to the city of my birth to find the other better ways of serving BBQ with bread. But the search goes on.

This thread makes me think back to the good ole days. Growin' up we never knew, or at least I didn't, know what they were made from. Now we got chicken, pork, all beef, mystery combination, whatever. It's the great mystery meat tube. I still find it a guilty pleasure to have whatever the cheapest hotdogs (boiled even, or sometimes grilled and slathered in Kraft bbq sauce) are rolled up in a slice of plain white bread with mayo and mustard. Good times still!

I'm late the the party here, but I grew up in the south (I've lived in TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, & VA). White bread is a common denominator across those cultures.

In fact, I have always looked at bbq places that served cornbread as "try-hards" and "wanna-be's".

I remember being in college and going to an LSU-Bama game in Tuscaloosa. Afterwards we went to Dreamland and our group got in a huge argument over whether or not the bread that came with the ribs was Wonderbread.

Last night I read 9 pages of this and couldn't believe I read so much about white bread and I told my co-worker about it today. Well here I am again. When white bread is served with BBQ I eat a little bit of it but I really focus on the meat and I'm okay with that. I kinda like the tradition of it and don't think much about it. Now let's talk about replacing white bread with a glazed doughnut, now your talkin'! :hail:

John: I was ready to fire up my Shirley on Sunday to do “Dino” beef ribs, St Louis Ribs (NO FL sauce for me even as a FL Native), and a Fatty.........Now we have 6” of rain forecast that day, so cooking Chinese with my granddaughters.
Look forward to pics of your cook.:-D:grin:

What is happening?!? White bread and ribs posts? Is this the same person stirring the pot? What happened to qtalk? Don’t check for a couple days and....troll city...

BTW if you didn’t grow up with white bread and BBQ you probably don’t understand (not stirring the pot...)

Last edited:
I'm late the the party here, but I grew up in the south (I've lived in TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, & VA). White bread is a common denominator across those cultures.

In fact, I have always looked at bbq places that served cornbread as "try-hards" and "wanna-be's".

I remember being in college and going to an LSU-Bama game in Tuscaloosa. Afterwards we went to Dreamland and our group got in a huge argument over whether or not the bread that came with the ribs was Wonderbread.

My memory tells me it was Sunbeam. Could be wrong though, It's been 30 years since I last went there while in college.

Italian bread with any Italian meal.
French bread with any soup or stew.
Corn bread with chili.
Sliced white with any sammich, though rye works with ham.
Burgers and dogs have white buns.
Dinner rolls with turkey or anything with gravy.
Pulled pork on a hard roll or burger bun.

Back