What the Heck is with this White Bread Thing?

RickAllen, I grew up in Ventura, CA, where all restaurants had actual napkins on the table. I moved to Austin TX 24 years ago, here most casual restaurants have a roll of non perforated paper towel sitting on each table. I bitched about it for a couple years, but then I got used to it. Now I love living in Texas. White bread is just a part of traditional BBQ around here. There aren't too many things nicer than a moist slice of brisket flat or point folded over in a slice of white bread. You can get fancy by adding bbq sauce, hot sauce, grated cheese, or whatever to that concoction, it's all good.

Gawds honest truth...

My Dad NEVER ate a meal without white bread, and I do mean never...

We took him and my Mom to a nice local Chinese restaurant (similar to PF Chang’s) when it first opened. He ordered sweet and sour shrimp and then added “I need some white bread with my meal!” The lady was dumbfounded!

She said “We don’t serve white bread here Sir!”

He said “You mean to tell me in this biiiiig restaurant there’s no white bread?”

Waitress “Well, I mean there’s a loaf in the break room that we make sandwiches with when we don’t want food from the kitchen...”

His response? “Giiiirl that’ll be PERFECT!!!!!!”

She smiled, patted him on the shoulder and walked off (as my mother rolled her eyes...)

The meal came to the table along with a salad plate with 3 slices of white bread... He was in hog heaven....

I'd personally like to thank Rick. This is one of those threads that will be referenced for years to come. Hopefully you have a good sense of humor brother! 2 years from now new guys will be asking... "what's so funny about white bread?"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Notice that the rest of the world doesn't use white bread. For instance:

In mexico almost all grilled and smoked meats are served on soft shell tortillas, like Fajitas
I know, why do they only have tortillas down there?!?!? Just try to get something other than a tortilla at a Mexican place. I don't want tortillas. SO Annoying!!!!

I know, why do they only have tortillas down there?!?!? Just try to get something other than a tortilla at a Mexican place. I don't want tortillas. SO Annoying!!!!

Right? So when I see these people speak as if white bread is a tradition it just makes me want to laugh my butt off. Tradition? Try the corn tortilla that has been used since 1500 BC, now that's a tradition! White bread is just a fart in the wind compared to any other countries standard bread choice in the world. And these people toss that word tradition around like it means anything at all in relation to white bread. No, white bread was cheap and available to your grandpa and that's all it was. If you are still using white bread now then you simply haven't explored other better options. Tradition? Ha! Try 3,500 years from now, if people are still using white bread for BBQ still in 3,500 years then it can be called a tradition equal to the corn tortilla and I will consider it bonified! Until then, it's a fart in the wind.

you act like south Florida is a culinary capital

just let us know what kind of bread was traditionally served with bbq that you would find acceptable? let us know what is up to your standard and we will all demand bbq restaurants switch to that.

So something cannot be a tradition until how many years?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm just tired of people talking about white bread like it's the only thing out there that "Should" be used in BBQ. I honestly can't believe it. I mean it's white bread. It's sandwich bread. It's PB&J bread. It's not even supposed to be used with a saucy or very liquid item because it will fall apart. There are even recent posts here now complaining about burger buns falling apart. That's because the burger bun was never meant to hold the modern burger that has ten times the liquid on it now than the old style burger. These plain white bread soft buns were meant to hold a burger where the only sauce on it was a tiny squirt of mustard and a tiny squirt of catchup. It's no wonder they fall apart today the way they are used.

What grill are you using? Are you cooking on an open fire pit in the dirt? No. Well guess what, that's traditional. But you don't do that because you have something better. Well guess what, something better than white bread should be used for BBQ. Many places now in America are apparently using corn bread, hush puppies, and other breads now. In the rest of the world they don't use white bread for any BBQ that I can find. And some of these places have been serving grilled meats on flat bread for 1000's of years since before America was even a country.

I asked people what the deal was. I asked people if there was any good reason to actually use white bread and so far the only good reason given by anyone was that it didn't take away from the meat. Well a flat bread doesn't do that either and flat breads are used around the world to hold saucy foods like fajitas and other saucy items. Why? Because they tend to not fall apart when holding them because it's a bread with a lot more structure. But nope. People here in America just use white bread because someone else did because it was cheap and available, not at all because as a bread it's a smart thing to use, because it isn't a smart choice to use.

And if you read the wiki page for white bread and read about the history of it from other sites you will see that the only reason it is even nutritionally ok to use is because the US government mandated it to be fortified with nutrients. Too many recruits during ww2 had nutrient deficiencies linked to white bread use. My aunt can't even eat it because her doctor said the bleaching is harming her stomach. First time I ever heard of that one, but apparently that is a thing too. So it's not even a bread that anyone should use and it's only even ok to use because it's fortified with nutrients that the bleaching and processing otherwise remove.

I'm just glad that I am not locked into a sad mindset of thinking that something only used in one country for no longer than granpa was alive because it was available to granpa at the time is some kind of tradition when other countries have been using better breads for 3,500 years. It's a sad joke is what it is. Thank God i'm not locked into that sad level of thinking. That's all I'm going to say about it anymore.

Last edited:
So after 12 pages on just bread. Some funny, some not so funny, I keep coming back to a picture I saw at the Holocaust Museum at Washington D.C.. Was a picture of two Polish Jews in some forest that were so hungery they were fighting over a chunk of bread as they were being marched to an open pit to be shot, all while their nazi captors were standing around laughing. Bread, it’s just bread

why stop at bread. traditional bbq cuts were scraps and undesired cuts. let's elevate those too. I mean why serve brisket when prime rib is obviously better. who needs pork ribs when tenderloin is elevated to such a higher level. also all that wood puts ash on the food I propose bbq take the next step in its evolution and go with a clean burning propane

why stop at bread. traditional bbq cuts were scraps and undesired cuts. let's elevate those too. I mean why serve brisket when prime rib is obviously better. who needs pork ribs when tenderloin is elevated to such a higher level. also all that wood puts ash on the food I propose bbq take the next step in its evolution and go with a clean burning propane

191dc894be1169c9713e5a78d6d706e6.gif

Plain, cheap white bread is not common around here but not unheard of either.

Both the joints I can think of that are using it are black owned and long standing, revered examples of fine Que.

One is renowned for its mustard sauce(yep, unusual in Arkansas) and the other is a James Beard award winner.

Y’all need to find religion.

Religion: BBQ = Pork
Pork goes on CWB.

If you don’t know, you don’t know.

This ends today’s sermon

Amen

Last edited:
Back