What the Heck is with this White Bread Thing?

I'm just tired of people talking about white bread like it's the only thing out there that "Should" be used in BBQ. I honestly can't believe it. I mean it's white bread. It's sandwich bread. It's PB&J bread. It's not even supposed to be used with a saucy or very liquid item because it will fall apart. There are even recent posts here now complaining about burger buns falling apart. That's because the burger bun was never meant to hold the modern burger that has ten times the liquid on it now than the old style burger. These plain white bread soft buns were meant to hold a burger where the only sauce on it was a tiny squirt of mustard and a tiny squirt of catchup. It's no wonder they fall apart today the way they are used.

What grill are you using? Are you cooking on an open fire pit in the dirt? No. Well guess what, that's traditional. But you don't do that because you have something better. Well guess what, something better than white bread should be used for BBQ. Many places now in America are apparently using corn bread, hush puppies, and other breads now. In the rest of the world they don't use white bread for any BBQ that I can find. And some of these places have been serving grilled meats on flat bread for 1000's of years since before America was even a country.

I asked people what the deal was. I asked people if there was any good reason to actually use white bread and so far the only good reason given by anyone was that it didn't take away from the meat. Well a flat bread doesn't do that either and flat breads are used around the world to hold saucy foods like fajitas and other saucy items. Why? Because they tend to not fall apart when holding them because it's a bread with a lot more structure. But nope. People here in America just use white bread because someone else did because it was cheap and available, not at all because as a bread it's a smart thing to use, because it isn't a smart choice to use.

And if you read the wiki page for white bread and read about the history of it from other sites you will see that the only reason it is even nutritionally ok to use is because the US government mandated it to be fortified with nutrients. Too many recruits during ww2 had nutrient deficiencies linked to white bread use. My aunt can't even eat it because her doctor said the bleaching is harming her stomach. First time I ever heard of that one, but apparently that is a thing too. So it's not even a bread that anyone should use and it's only even ok to use because it's fortified with nutrients that the bleaching and processing otherwise remove.

I'm just glad that I am not locked into a sad mindset of thinking that something only used in one country for no longer than granpa was alive because it was available to granpa at the time is some kind of tradition when other countries have been using better breads for 3,500 years. It's a sad joke is what it is. Thank God i'm not locked into that sad level of thinking. That's all I'm going to say about it anymore.

Well now that you got that rant off your chest, I would suggest coming back with your creation, make it appetizing enough so others want to try it too. Maybe after your long gone.. or 10-15 yrs from now thanks to social media, your creation will be a new thing.. and become a tradition or a common option for "bread". :razz:

I'm just glad that I am not locked into a sad mindset of thinking that something only used in one country for no longer than granpa was alive because it was available to granpa at the time is some kind of tradition when other countries have been using better breads for 3,500 years. It's a sad joke is what it is. Thank God i'm not locked into that sad level of thinking. That's all I'm going to say about it anymore.

Maybe stop complaining about it, and be the solution. A huge rant on your opinions that many other don’t share isn’t helping your case. If you can build a better mousetrap, then go do it. Show the world Rick, You’ll have your own Netflix special in no time.

I actually picked up a loaf of Mrs. Baird's Texas Toast eariler to go with some beef ribs I'm having for dinner tonight. Wouldn't have happened without this thread. I thank you.

I'm a big fan of white bread with BBQ. It's pretty common around Birmingham and other Alabama BBQ joints for sopping up sauce or pairing it with the meat. It has it's place at my table, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.

I think I found the answer! At least one good, tried and true, and working solution to BBQ and grilled meats with a lot of sauce soggy bread problem. That answer is:

Jamaican Hard Dough Bread Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_dough_bread

This bread is essentially just normal white bread but altered in ingredients and density to better go with saucy grilled meats. It is especially made very dense so that it can stand up better to becoming soggy with items that are saucy. This bread was literally designed to solve the grilled meats with sauce problem in Jamaica. It stands to reason that it is now probably the most popular bread served over there with Jerk Chicken. But it is also sweeter than normal white bread and is cut thinner because of it's greater density. However, even though it is cut thinner, it still apparently holds up better to saucy items. Just make this into a burger bun format and we might have a solution to that soggy bun problem as well.

I know I said I would not say anything else about this, but this is not a rant. This, my friends, is a direct invented solution to solve the sauced grilled meats problem. My search for what other countries have done to solve the soggy bread problem with grilled meats is paying off. First was the flatbreads solution and now we have the Hard Dough bread solution. I will post any more things that I find, but no more rants. It's about solutions now. People told me to stop complaining and be the solution. Well, that's what i am trying to do now.

Last edited:
Another possible option from Jamaica is Coco Bread. Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_bread

This link doesn't explain it well, but Coco bread is made with almost the same ingredients as white bread. However, like Hard Dough bread, it is designed to be able to hold saucy items better. The way that it is folded allows it to have a crust or partial crust on all sides, inside the pocket that is formed and outside. Imagine a soft shell taco made with white bread and folded over before being baked. It function like a large hot dog bun but the inside also has a crust on it to help prevent sogging of the bread with saucy items.

It's looks like Jamaica has been working on the soggy bread problem for a long time. But I'll keep looking.

Remember, all of these are possible solutions that would probably be best if designed and made slightly different to suit BBQ better. I am sure that a better type or variation of Coco bread can be designed.

Another possible option from Jamaica is Coco Bread. Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_bread

This link doesn't explain it well, but Coco bread is made with almost the same ingredients as white bread. However, like Hard Dough bread, it is designed to be able to hold saucy items better. The way that it is folded allows it to have a crust or partial crust on all sides, inside the pocket that is formed and outside. Imagine a soft shell taco made with white bread and folded over before being baked. It function like a large hot dog bun but the inside also has a crust on it to help prevent sogging of the bread with saucy items.

It's looks like Jamaica has been working on the soggy bread problem for a long time. But I'll keep looking.

Remember, all of these are possible solutions that would probably be best if designed and made slightly different to suit BBQ better. I am sure that a better type or variation of Coco bread can be designed.

Please stop. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're from anywhere near South Louisiana try Evangeline Maid white bread. Softest, fluffiest white bread on the planet. Their TX toast is good with Que, their thin sandwich is perfect for PBJ

If we are concerned with nutrition, why have bread with bbq at all? Also, I'm pretty sure bbq in itself is not overly healthy. Just a thought...

This thread makes me mad, and i have no idea why!!

White bread is served with bbq. Sometimes a bun or roll is acceptable if its a bbq sandwich. Anything fancier or fu-fu isnt acceptable. I normally eat and prefer wheat bread and that isnt even acceptable for bbq.

RAGE!!!

p1S2vC.gif

Back