THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess I got here a little late, eh? I am really looking forward to the PRON. I know how I like to cook TT and I really hope someone can improve on what I consider to be a farking awesome steak/roast.
I have screwed up and overcooked them before and they are like shoe leather. IMO, the only way you could slow cook a TT like a brisket and have it be palatable would be to crock pot it with a can of cream of mushroom soup, Lipton's Onion soup mix and some white wine.......

As all of you know me, if a Brethren is coming into NorCal, there is a spot at my table at Phat Matt's for any of you. Bo, that means you too.

I was just being facetious about the CA BBQ thing, bro. But, if I ever make it to your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to look you up for a friendly visit.

Torta, I've cooked Tri-Tips low and slow with good results, although I prefer reverse searing and smoking the meat during the indirect phase. Depending on how large the tri-tip is, that could be anywhere from 30-60 mins or more. Once the Tri reaches 110-120, I give it a good sear. This to me produces the best of both worlds. I get a noticeable smoke flavor as well as smoke ring, but the outer part of the meat has that wonderful crust you can only get with direct heat. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do hope it helps.

You can see an example here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120640

As someone who has eaten tri-tip cooked by Moose, I'll just say it behooves one to listen very closely to and heed what this man says on that subject. He is not farking around.

Well, actually he might be. I'm gonna have to reconfirm soon just to make sure. :hungry:

MAN!!! Ain't this thread a roller coaster of emotion!! Hoo-wee! I think someone got stabbed on page 2... might wanna check on em'!

LOL:p:p Boy talking about opening up a can of worms. This is great stuff to read.

Haw-haw! can of worms... the worm dude... worms... funny. :p

Alright, as for factual infor-mayshun, I have cooked a TT for 5+ hours and then seared, an it came out great!

Now, you noticed I said cooked, not smoked or grilled or bbq'd. I tried a lil' hill-billy sous vide on a tt and then moved it to the grill when it hit 115* IT, seared to 125*.

It was very tender, juicy and pink from the edge to the center with just the thinnest outer crust from the sear.

That being said, I've only done it once and prolly won't be doing it again. Not that anything went wrong with it or was bad about it, it was just missing the depth of grilled/smoked flavor that I expect and love. If it had been the first tt I'd ever tried, maybe I'd think differently, but it had more of a slightly grilled roast beef flavor than the tt I'm used to...

On the other hand I've smoked tt indirectly at 180* for a couple of hours and then cranked the heat and seared it, great results, but I'll use a little less wood the next time, the beefyness was a bit overpowered.

In both situations, and any time I cook tt, I never cook over 130... unless I screw up and go higher...

as others have said, I think the OP was lacking a little bit of detail - "cook a tt like a brisket" suggests that you would cook the piss outta it until 190+ or probe tender... and as others have said, really not a good idea to take a tt that high... a boneless skinless chicken breast cooked to 190 would prolly taste better, IMO!

MAN!!! Ain't this thread a roller coaster of emotion!! Hoo-wee! I think someone got stabbed on page 2... might wanna check on em'!

Haw-haw! can of worms... the worm dude... worms... funny. :p

Alright, as for factual infor-mayshun, I have cooked a TT for 5+ hours and then seared, an it came out great!

Now, you noticed I said cooked, not smoked or grilled or bbq'd. I tried a lil' hill-billy sous vide on a tt and then moved it to the grill when it hit 115* IT, seared to 125*.

It was very tender, juicy and pink from the edge to the center with just the thinnest outer crust from the sear.

That being said, I've only done it once and prolly won't be doing it again. Not that anything went wrong with it or was bad about it, it was just missing the depth of grilled/smoked flavor that I expect and love. If it had been the first tt I'd ever tried, maybe I'd think differently, but it had more of a slightly grilled roast beef flavor than the tt I'm used to...

On the other hand I've smoked tt indirectly at 180* for a couple of hours and then cranked the heat and seared it, great results, but I'll use a little less wood the next time, the beefyness was a bit overpowered.

In both situations, and any time I cook tt, I never cook over 130... unless I screw up and go higher...

as others have said, I think the OP was lacking a little bit of detail - "cook a tt like a brisket" suggests that you would cook the piss outta it until 190+ or probe tender... and as others have said, really not a good idea to take a tt that high... a boneless skinless chicken breast cooked to 190 would prolly taste better, IMO!

Some good info here, thanks for sharing.

As the OP, more detail would have only provided more Asshat ammo for those that choose to be....Asshats. Claiming that it was the level of detail that started the whole thing is just making excuses for the Asshats.

I'm not talking jokesters...I'm talking about the guys that post with no intention other than lame attempts to insult.

I've found that it's the same guys, over and over. Never maturing past high school.....If this upsets you, you're probably an Asshat.

It gets old. 90% of the brethen that post here are great people and truly want to help out.....10% just want to act tough behind a keyboard, proving that their maturity stopped in high school.

Had I been a newbie, their shi* attitude would be even more uncalled for.

I love the mouth feel of brisket. When I mentioned cooking a tri tip like a brisket I meant low and slow, for a long time. Obviously, a 10-12 hour cook would not work for a piece of meat 20% the size of a packer, but that doesn't mean you can't try cooking in the same manner.

I'll test it out and see how it comes out in the new year. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Will definitely learn something from it.

You are gonna have to start paying me royalties if you continue to use the term "Asshat" :becky: The next Brethren BBQ I have at my house will most definitely include a low and slow tri-tip, and perhaps we'll grind up another Waygu brisket for geed measure :thumb:

You are gonna have to start paying me royalties if you continue to use the term "Asshat" :becky: The next Brethren BBQ I have at my house will most definitely include a low and slow tri-tip, and perhaps we'll grind up another Waygu brisket for geed measure :thumb:

Just remember to add some bacon to that wagyu grind cuz the last one sucked, so I heard...

...I love the mouth feel of brisket. When I mentioned cooking a tri tip like a brisket I meant low and slow, for a long time. Obviously, a 10-12 hour cook would not work for a piece of meat 20% the size of a packer, but that doesn't mean you can't try cooking in the same manner.

I'm still a little unsure of what you mean when you say "cook it in the same manner as a brisket"

Are we talking just temps or closer to the same time too (time per lb of meat)?

As for the mouth feel and flavor of brisket, why not cook brisket to have brisket and tri-tip to have tri-tip?

IMO it's kinda like asking if you can get rib steak to taste like tender loin... it's just not gonna happen, they (brisket & TT) come from totally different ends of the animal and are used differently by the animal. Kinda like the difference between skirt steak and flank steak, yeah the grain might look similar, but turn out completely different in texture & flavor... If you're looking for a faster brisket alternative, why not try a H&F brisky?

I'm still a little unsure of what you mean when you say "cook it in the same manner as a brisket"

Are we talking just temps or closer to the same time too (time per lb of meat)?

Good questions:

Cooking Temps of around 250.
Will foil when I get a bark that I like.
Will add some broth as I do brisket.
Will attempt to cook to probe tender.

As for the mouth feel and flavor of brisket, why not cook brisket to have brisket and tri-tip to have tri-tip?

1. To see what happens to the tri tip in the process.
2. Because I already know what happens to brisket (And I like it...a lot).
3. Because I don't always want to cook a 12-15 pound slab of meat when
I can use a much smaller cut.
4. Because I like experimenting.

IMO it's kinda like asking if you can get rib steak to taste like tender loin... it's just not gonna happen, they (brisket & TT) come from totally different ends of the animal and are used differently by the animal. Kinda like the difference between skirt steak and flank steak, yeah the grain might look similar, but turn out completely different in texture & flavor... If you're looking for a faster brisket alternative, why not try a H&F brisky?

None of the reasons above (Or the OP) mention anything about "Faster", or getting anything to "Taste like" something else. Mouth feel is totally different.

I'm just burning up some vacation time, chillin, and thinking about some new things I can do with meat and fire.:thumb:

So, did you ever cook the thing? Maybe I am just coming in little late to this thread.. BBQ'ing is not so difficult .......

I didn't want to completely hijack this San Jose brothers cook so I'll just revive my old thread and
include his results.........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123778

Apparently, you CAN cook a tri tip like a brisket just fine.:dancer::whoo:

Hmmmmm.......(Insert Eat CROW Low and Slow BBQ style Mod)

Well, That's the only way I have EVER done them....and not bragging (cuz I don't know what the heck I'm doing), but my wife, son, daugher-in-law, and I think it turned out purty darn good!!!

SteveT

Back