THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly though. I think it had more to do with the OPs arguing with the first dozen solid responses to the post than the actual question posed.

But I'm just guessing..

Absolutely correct.

Wouldn't want to question all that great advice I was originally given, now would I?

I'm waiting to hear the "Troll" word come out because I asked a simple question, then didn't automatically agree with whatever was written.

It's simple. He is going to cook a Tri tip to probe tender like a brisket and share the results with us, so we can all learn.

I'm hoping for lots of pron.

Good luck to him but I highly doubt it will work.

It would be like cooking a steak and hoping it will be probe tender and actually edible.

A waste of time and money in my opinion.

tortaboy, There have been some off topic posts but also some decent advice. Are you looking more to argue or take the advice given and draw your own conclusion.

Sorry if everyone did not meet your exceptions of the answer you were looking for. The point is you probably were going to try it anyway but instead of just saying that and going on, you chose to nit pick some of the comments which just opened the door for more conflicts. The general consensus was it could be done, but not using the same process as a Brisket, but also not the ideal way to cook a Tri-Tip.

So please try it and post the results!

Absolutely correct.

Wouldn't want to question all that great advice I was originally given, now would I?

Then why did you ask the question if you already knew the answer? As others have said, just do it!

If it turns out to your liking, wonderful; if not, don't let us know unless you like hearing 'I told you so!' :rolleyes:

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1886402 said:
tortaboy, There have been some off topic posts but also some decent advice. Are you looking more to argue or take the advice given and draw your own conclusion.

Sorry if everyone did not meet your exceptions of the answer you were looking for. The point is you probably were going to try it anyway but instead of just saying that and going on, you chose to nit pick some of the comments which just opened the door for more conflicts. The general consensus was it could be done, but not using the same process as a Brisket, but also not the ideal way to cook a Tri-Tip.

So please try it and post the results!

If someone writes about their experience (If they have actually tried this as originally asked) negative or positive.... as a rational person, I'll take their advice into consideration. If they have never tried it, but have strong feelings one way or another...that's cool too.

That's SUPPOSED to be what this is all about....right?

Not sure how you equate ANY of this to nitpicking....What it sounds like you really meant was, I was "ASKING FOR IT" because heaven forbid I have my own opinions also.

If you disagree, and think I should just listen and agree with everything that is posted, that is your right.... no need for you to read further.

What was posted was responses from one or two that claimed to have tried it and failed, a bunch of assumptions, and a whole bunch of negative comments that had no intention of addressing the original question in an intelligent manner.

For those that know me, I like to joke around with the best of them. However, I try to do it in a funny way. I can't recall ever insulting someone for asking a question. Ever. Can you say the same?

I have very thick skin and love a witty retort...but some of the other stuff...c'mon it's just petty and unnecessary.

Insults are for used by those not smart enough to get their points across any other way..... As is jumping on board with someone elses insults. Frankly, those type of responses get old real quick. "Asshat" responses as Tim called them.

After finding Landarc's post, I'm pretty comfortable that a tri tip can be cooked low and slow, as I find him to be a very intelligent poster. Not 12 hour low and slow...I understand that...but far from normal grilling.

I'll do this cook in due time, and post pron, no problem. And if I fark it up, I'll try and figure out why Landarc was successful, and I was not. What I WON'T do is ASSUME it absolutely cannot be done just because I did not do it well.

....at the moment, I've got about 100 pounds of meat lined up for holiday and pre holiday cooks first.:thumb:

There are plenty of people who cook a tri-tip low and slow, landarc isn't the only one. Hell, I've done and it tasted fine. The key is to pull it at medium rare temps (125-130).

I think the biggest problem with this thread was you weren't clear what you meant by "cook a tri-tip like a brisket." Some people took that to mean you were going to take the internal temp of the tri-tip to 200* like a brisket. If you let the internal temp get that high it will be dried up dog food. If you foil it in juices and let it get that high (like what happened when I left my tri-tip in the smoker too long), then it will turn into meat mush. If, however, you meant you wanted to cook it low and slow it for a couple hours until it hits an internal temp of 130 then it'll taste great. :thumb:

Geez, you are all a tad cranky.

Yes, I have cooked tri-tip low and slow, yes, Ihave cooked it to very well done, yes, it did not work out very well. No, I won't be doing it again.

I don't think it is a cut of meat that responds well to being cooked past about 135F. It has a lot to do with personal taste though. I know many folks that like 'medium' tri-tip, which is really code for dead and done twice over. It is more than jut about fat or connective tissue, it gets down to the way the muscle fiber runs, the nature of the muscle and proteins, even the shape of the meat.

I do smoke tri-tip (which I assume was in the post youe referenced) and I hope it was one of my successes and not one of my 'learn from my failure' posts.

As for succeeding or failing, so much has to do with taste. On the other hand, I learned to cook tri-tips the real way, from old men, in a town near the epicenter of tri-tip heaven, and I have been cooking tri-tips over fire for decades. So, if I am sober and focused, I can tell when a tri-tip is done by feel and looks. So, experience and sobriety play a big role for me getting one cooked, using any method, correctly.

I do the low and slow for a reason other than smoke, as the traditional method also provides both smoke and a smoke ring, I do it so I can get a more evenly cooked piece of meat with more of the core being done to the desired temerature, which grilling does not achieve as well.

Geez, you are all a tad cranky.

Yes, I have cooked tri-tip low and slow, yes, Ihave cooked it to very well done, yes, it did not work out very well. No, I won't be doing it again.

I don't think it is a cut of meat that responds well to being cooked past about 135F. It has a lot to do with personal taste though. I know many folks that like 'medium' tri-tip, which is really code for dead and done twice over. It is more than jut about fat or connective tissue, it gets down to the way the muscle fiber runs, the nature of the muscle and proteins, even the shape of the meat.

I do smoke tri-tip (which I assume was in the post youe referenced) and I hope it was one of my successes and not one of my 'learn from my failure' posts.

Yep, at the time you considered this one of your successes. And had I found it before I had posted the original question, I would have not spent the last 5 hours defending, why I asked such a stupid question.:tape:

Don't backslide on me now...I'll be PM'ing apologies into 2013:becky::becky::becky:

I'll do this cook in due time, and post pron, no problem. And if I fark it up, I'll try and figure out why Landarc was successful, and I was not. What I WON'T do is ASSUME it absolutely cannot be done just because I did not do it well.

....at the moment, I've got about 100 pounds of meat lined up for holiday and pre holiday cooks first.:thumb:[/QUOTE]

No problem, Just let us know what you'd like our help with.

I have cooked many tri-tips low and slow over the years myself with great results (that makes three of us so far). They finish in about a 2 hour time frame with a normal sized roast such as the choice ones they sell at Costco in the two packs.

Personally I am thinking of grinding up a tri-tip to make burgers out of it. I read some one here tried it once with a kobe brisket so it should work with TT :heh:

tortaboy, I wouldn't get too worked up over this thread, there will always be those who know everything....and get all bent out of shape when you don't have the same opinions and tastes as they do. Some folks want to turn a debate into an argument, it's human nature I guess :thumb:

Not sure how you equate ANY of this to nitpicking....What it sounds like you really meant was, I was "ASKING FOR IT" because heaven forbid I have my own opinions also.

If you disagree, and think I should just listen and agree with everything that is posted, that is your right.... no need for you to read further.

I am not sure where you got any of that from my post. I thought I was neutral and not trying to cut you down. Just making an observation. You are coming across a bit argumentative though.

What was posted was responses from one or two that claimed to have tried it and failed, a bunch of assumptions, and a whole bunch of negative comments that had no intention of addressing the original question in an intelligent manner.

You have not read many other posts then, there are many times those types of responses are posted. Not just regarding you or your post. If you will notice there is a lot of one liners and not so on topic responses to many posts.

For those that know me, I like to joke around with the best of them. However, I try to do it in a funny way. I can't recall ever insulting someone for asking a question. Ever. Can you say the same?

I have very thick skin and love a witty retort...but some of the other stuff...c'mon it's just petty and unnecessary.

I never said you insulted anyone!

Insults are for used by those not smart enough to get their points across any other way..... As is jumping on board with someone elses insults. Frankly, those type of responses get old real quick. "Asshat" responses as Tim called them.

After finding Landarc's post, I'm pretty comfortable that a tri tip can be cooked low and slow, as I find him to be a very intelligent poster. Not 12 hour low and slow...I understand that...but far from normal grilling.

....at the moment, I've got about 100 pounds of meat lined up for holiday and pre holiday cooks first.:thumb:

Here is the bottom line to me. We all need to help each other and learn and share our failures and success's. I do not think anyone was personally attacking your knowledge of character.

If you felt I was, I do apologize and hope we can continue to hang out here without any problems. Good luck with all that meat and do post up some of your cooks for the holidays.

Last edited:
{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1886617 said:
Here is the bottom line to me. We all need to help each other and learn and share our failures and success's. I do not think anyone was personally attacking your knowledge of character.

If you felt I was, I do apologize and hope we can continue to hang out here without any problems. Good luck with all that meat and do post up some of your cooks for the holidays.

HEEEEEYYY, you can't post in "Mod Green" :cop:

Back