THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At the risk of getting in trouble for posting these as they are posted in another post, here are pics of the Tri-tip I did today... this was smoke "lo and slo" for 8.5 hours. it is "not" dry or mushy.. It also tasted great!!!

SteveT

Attachments

• tri-tip-small.jpg
    tri-tip-small.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 164
  • cut tri-tip-small.jpg
    cut tri-tip-small.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 240
So I am going to add absolutely no valuable information to this tread. My brother-in-law made me a UDS which sole purpose is for hanging tri-tips. I have never measured the cooking or meat temps. However it's like Ron Popiel, set it and forget it. I simply light 10 lbs. of briquettes in the bottom of the cooker, wait til the ash forms, and place a couple of hickory chunks on top. I use steel hook in the small end of the tri's (rubbed) and hang them from one of three crossbars at the top (I can cook up to thirteen tris in two hours). Put the lid on and come back two hours later. Perfect. I rest each roast for thirty minutes, double foil wrapped after removing, very moist and tender. The ends would be considered well done with the center portion of the meat a medium to medium well. Always carve cross grain.

So I am going to add absolutely no valuable information to this tread. My brother-in-law made me a UDS which sole purpose is for hanging tri-tips. I have never measured the cooking or meat temps. However it's like Ron Popiel, set it and forget it. I simply light 10 lbs. of briquettes in the bottom of the cooker, wait til the ash forms, and place a couple of hickory chunks on top. I use steel hook in the small end of the tri's (rubbed) and hang them from one of three crossbars at the top (I can cook up to thirteen tris in two hours). Put the lid on and come back two hours later. Perfect. I rest each roast for thirty minutes, double foil wrapped after removing, very moist and tender. The ends would be considered well done with the center portion of the meat a medium to medium well. Always carve cross grain.

You light 10 pounds all at once?

I'd hit it too!

...and as for the original question, will a tri tip soften up like a brisket when cooked like a brisket?
Why, yes it will.:thumb:...and apparently, it tastes damn good.

Still relying on info from others?

How about YOU actually cook 1 like a brisket, low n slow to an internal temp of say 185 and give us your opinion on how it tastes and feels in your mouth.

Not for 6 hrs on the cool side of a smoker where the temp is unknown, LOW N SLOW like a brisket.

I will eat crow when YOU prove your point, otherwise your just blowin hot air my brother. :thumb:

Yes. There is a tractor disc in the bottom that acts as a charcoal basket. You put ten pounds of charcoal in the basket, light it, let it ash over, and place it in the drum. I hang the tri tip from the bars across the top. Here are a couple of pics.

View attachment 60043

View attachment 60044

Interesting. With 10lbs of lit charcoal, what kind of temps are you looking at in the UDS? Do you have some sort of diffuser?

Interesting. With 10lbs of lit charcoal, what kind of temps are you looking at in the UDS? Do you have some sort of diffuser?

I have never checked the temps. There are 16-20 1.5" holes around the bottom and 6 at the top for the crossbars. Next time I do some Tri's I'll have to remember to check.

I have never checked the temps. There are 16-20 1.5" holes around the bottom and 6 at the top for the crossbars. Next time I do some Tri's I'll have to remember to check.

Thanks. I would be interested to see what kind of cooking environment you have there. It sure sounds more like you are "grilling" as 10lbs of charcoal fully lit with that many holes is going to stoke a hot fire. Very cool concept though so please keep us informed. Perhaps, next time you do a cook, document info and start a new thread so we aren't threadjacking this one.

So, what we have here are two different things.

One guy cooked his tri-tip at an unknown temp, for 8.5 hours, and the meat fell apart, and he said it was tender, juicy and delicious.

Another guy lit up a full 10 pounds of charcoal in a UDS, and cooked his tri-tips for exactly two hours, to the point where they are medium to medium well done.

Only that first one sounds like brisket.

So, what we have here are two different things.

One guy cooked his tri-tip at an unknown temp, for 8.5 hours, and the meat fell apart, and he said it was tender, juicy and delicious.

Another guy lit up a full 10 pounds of charcoal in a UDS, and cooked his tri-tips for exactly two hours, to the point where they are medium to medium well done.

Only that first one sounds like brisket.

Yup.

Makes me want to cook a Prime Rib Roast like a brisket. Im thinkin of pulled PR sammies?

I think i heard of someone who met a guy who seen it done so it must be possible. :thumb:

Back